Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping Is Gone Now I Have Other Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning rich and smoking lifter valley reaks of gas

OK the tapping noise I found and is gone now, it was a lifter, after removing the intake and replacing the lifter I reassembled the engine and started it adjusted the rockers and idled great I took it for a drive, minutes after talking from my garage it started missing and burning really rich and the right back is smoking really bad, smells like raw gas, so to try and narrow it down to a cylinder problem I started as it idled I started unplugging injectors, I had this thing down to only one injector and it was still running and still smoking, do you think they gave me the wrong intake gaskets, does anyone know the "FEL-PRO" number, they sold me MS 95580.........PLEASE ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS BEFORE I PUT A BULLET BETWEEN HER EYES!

Last edited by illgoblind; 02-20-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Teching In

come on, one of you corvette gear heads has gone to know something
Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

YIKES!! They may have given you the wrong gaskets. I just installed them (on an LS6 intake), they're MS 92438. Pretty obvious if they're wrong. It's 8 rectangular O-rings, and they pop right back in where the old ones went.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please tell us what kind of engine youre working on, LT1 or SBC I assume? You have to do a little more than pull the intake to change lifters on an LS1... I should know, im changing them for a second time . Anyway, what engine, as everyone will assume youre talking about an LS1 on this site.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Teching In

sorry i'm not into this new stuff i'm and old school guy from the seventies, i believe its a LT1 350, i the gasket set there were fiber type intake gaskets and 8 small orings, when i removed the intake i didn't remove the fuel lines i just swisted and turned the intake upside down to the side. after doing the job the car ran fine for a couple minutes and i pulled it from the garage and started to take it down the street it started missing and smells heavy of gas and smoking heavy out the passanger side bank..hope this helps
Old 02-18-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could be something simple like a plug or wire. Usually you pull only one injector at a time and see which one does not make the difference, all the others should make a noticable difference. try and narrow it down that way first. Also disconnect and reconnect your wires. Did the intake gaskets fit right? Were the surfaces thoroughly cleaned? Anything out of the ordinary?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Teching In

yes everything was very clean, when pulling back into the garage i pulled the wire conection on the top of each injector to narrow it down, something i found as strage was that i pulled all of them and only one was still pluged in and the engine was still running
Old 02-18-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is very strange. I didnt think a motor could run on one cylinder.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

The intake gasket HAS to be leaking for the engine to run on one injector. You were right the first time. Actually come to think of it the only other way it could run woul dbe if you have a few injectors leaking gas into the intake all the time....So two possibliities... Make CERTAIN you have the correct gasket and torque the intake down correctly....and also check those injectors.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Teching In

i'll give the injectors a tap maybe when i turned the intake unit up side down with the injectors in it maybe there was some dirt in them maybe sticking them open and i'll double check the intake gaskets, i have in my book the tourque for the intake is 25 is this true and what does yours say?,,,thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Teching In

sorry i ment to say 35 for the torque
Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Teching In

i pulled the intake to see if the new gaskets failed, they looked good but man that lifter vally reaks of gas,any answers?