Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle / dies... only when damp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle / dies... only when damp?

I stopped at the store for maybe 10 minutes tops. When I come back out, the car is still warm so it fires right up. It had been sprinkling outside, apparently. When I pull out of the space... even though I'm giving it gas... it falls flat on it's face and coasts til it dies. I throw it in park, start her back up, give the pedal a couple blips... and away I go out of the parking lot. Get out on the main (busy!) road... and even though I'm giving it 1/4-1/2 pedal.. it feels as though there's ZERO power there. RPMS fall down to around 600 (in spite of me trying to get the RPMS up).. spits sputters... if I give it more gas it chokes even more. Not more than 2 blocks later... it suddenly snaps out of it like nothing was ever wrong. A few months back I got caught in the rain and it did the EXACT same thing. So bad I actually took side roads home out of fear of it dying on the highway and getting me into an accident. Only after it slightly raining has this happened - twice now. Otherwise the car doesn't leave the garage unless the sun is out.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Licken2
Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Yeah, the rain.

I couldn't resist. A free bump for you, hopefully someone far wiser can help.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Teching In

I did a search and it seems others have had this same stumble, stutter, bogging issue as well - without any resolution. At least not one that they posted here. In my case this started happening after the swap to a 408.

If anyone has had this happen and fixed it... please post up! I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be thankful.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could it have anything to do with the air being damp (high humidity)?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Launching!

If you haven't already, I would check the air filter. Maybe a little dust and moisture is clogging it up.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

When my car acted like that it was a bad 02 sensor. Have u checked for codes?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

My truck did that on dewy mornings back in the summer. Ended up being a crack in the bottom of the ignition coil. Sounds like moisture is getting in somewhere. What I did to find mine was to cover every electrical part in the engine bay with towels. Remove one towel and spray with water from a spray bottle with the engine running. If it is still ok, cover and try another area. When it starts sputtering, you have found your problem area.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTU98SS
When my car acted like that it was a bad 02 sensor. Have u checked for codes?
+1 my car use idle very rough in the rain an sputter a lot if i gave it more than 1/4 throttle. ended up being my O2's. if you have long tubes i'd recomend swithing to some rear O2's from a vette. that did the trick for me.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Actually, last night while the car was idling to warm up.... It did throw an SES light. I came home to check it out w/ my laptop... was a P0134 & P0154. Both B1S1 and B2S1 inactivity codes. However, I cleared the light... and it has not returned yet. The car was doing the exact same thing tonight and it's perfectly dry out - no rain at all - and no new codes thrown. So I'm not so sure if moisture is the culprit or not. I do have Long Tube headers... what's the benefit of using the Corvette 02 sensors as opposed to the factory ones with extensions?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rear vette sensors have higher wattage heaters; good if you have longtubes. keeps them hotter
Old 03-11-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Strange that you would get BOTH 134 and 154 at the same time. Did you check the FREEZE FRAME data? Compare the PIDs from both FFs to see if there is a hidden clue there that could help you.

Quick Reply: Rough idle / dies... only when damp?