Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here so take it easy on me

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here so take it easy on me

Alright guys first off im a stang owner (only a 2002 sixer b/c i had to pay for the car myself) and 18 years old. Im truely in love with (and i know im going to get flamed for this) 03-04 cobras. And i have been looking for one for a long time however i just dont feel like throwing that kinda money out at this age of my life and plus im more impressed with #'s that are N/A rather than with a blower. Also one of my friends got ahold of me and his roomate/good friend has had lots of camaros and needs to sell one of them to keep his business open. So anyways from what he's told me its a 00 SS 6speed, with only mods SLP exhaust and SLP intake, with 40k miles. This is everything i've been looking for and im going nuts over the thought of a LS1 cammed and sprayed to take down some of the cars around me Basically for my question, i have done some research and i need help from the pros. For a daily driven SS that occacionally raced on highway or track what size cam should i be looking at. I seen that there were small medium and large but im not understanding where i would stand (dd and some times raced). Also i read pushrods were optional but should or shouldnt i pick them up when im buying a cam setup? IM not doing the install by myself im going to have a shop do it which is also going to install a NOS system for me so thats not a problem. Also what brand of cams are going to be the most reliable, power is one thing but reliabilty is on a whole nother level for me.
Thank you guys for all your help
*coming to the darkside *
Old 03-13-2006, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

do the pushrods when you do the cam. they are a weak point. and also do valvesprings. singles are good up to i think .550- .590 lift. duals are good to .650 Ive heard the comp cams dual valvesprings are crap. Im doing a custom grind 232/238 around .600 lift on a 112 lsa.and was told to use dual tsp springs. the cam itself should be reliable its the springs and pushrods that i think would give you trouble if you dont upgrade.

TSP (texas speed performance) cams and thunder racing cams are popular and both put down power with good street manners. check out the vendor list on the right side of the screen and you will find something.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Launching!

thank you very much for your help, anything else you can think of just throw it my way. Im looking to learn as well go faster!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Check out the cam guide, its a sticky at the top of this section of the forum.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you read the cam sticky at the top of the internal section? If not, definitely take a look at it, most of your questions will be answered there.

Edit: Turo beat me by a .5 second!!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Have you read the cam sticky at the top of the internal section? If not, definitely take a look at it, most of your questions will be answered there.

Edit: Turo beat me by a .5 second!!
I have read the sticky or i should say i tried too but i just get so confused with all of those numbers. After reading the sticky i understand all of the parts and what not but i still dont understand what #'s i should be looking for. And when it says aggresive but good idle idk if that means it is good for a Daily driver or what? If anyone can help me more understand this. Example....this # through this # would be more for a small upgrade in cam, this # through this # would be more for a Daily driver, ect.
Thank you
Old 03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

In a 6-speed you have tons of options. What I would recommend, since you mentioned both track and highway racing, which require some nice top end, is a cam on the fairly large side. Since the car's a 6M, you can get away with more cam without worrying about the tune as much. If you wanted to go N/A, I'd recommend the Thunder Racing 236/230, but that cam isn't great with spray. For something that would work beautifully both on and off the bottle, I suggest three options: the LG/G2 G5X2, LG G5X3, or Thunder TRak. They're all pretty similar. The G5X2 is a 232/240, .598"/.610", the G5X3 is a little bigger (I know how much bigger, but it's still not supposed to be common knowledge), and the TRak is a 233/235, .648"/.598". Get some gears with these bad boys and you'd be good to go.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Launching!

8banger, thank you so much im going to look for those cams right now. Thanks again
Old 03-13-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

No worries, just let me know what you find, and if you have any questions, I'm around.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could always bump up to a 233/239 from tsp, and then if you wanna a little more ***, get youself a TSP MS3. That cam is supposed to haul and is my choice. As for the pushrods and such, you will wanna replace those, the springs, timming chain, and oil pump(not needed.) TSP sells a cam/valvetrain package for a solid price. Check em out! Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nokeman
and then if you wanna a little more ***, get youself a TSP MS3. That cam is supposed to haul and is my choice. As for the pushrods and such, you will wanna replace those, the springs, timming chain, and oil pump(not needed.) TSP sells a cam/valvetrain package for a solid price. Check em out! Good luck with your decision!
Ok please forgive i am a ls1 noob but if i can understand this right you are talking about TSP's Magic Stick 3? And if so then i was just going to ask you about that. I looked them up and for $600ish i can get a Package with that cam and springs ect. Great package price imo (considering where im coming from Cobras the price is well into the $1500 range). My question is, is that Cam good for a daily driver street car?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

talking about TSP's Magic Stick 3?
Yes

is that Cam good for a daily driver street car?

And the answer is YES, it can and has been used in daily drivers by many people...dependent on three important things. 1) TUNE, TUNE, TUNE... getting a good tune is a MUST with this cam. If this is done, it can behave almost like a stock cam... almost. 2) Your definition of drivability. If you have a very strict definition and are not very tolerant, you may just want to be "safe" and get something smaller. But as I said earlier, it is a very streetable cam if it is done right. 3) Finally, you will need, at the very least, a 3600 stall converter. You'd probably be better off with a 4000 or higher.

I hope I covered everything...if I didnt, Im sure someone will add thier knowledge.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Launching!

^^Its a M6 so no stall needed.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

MS3 + Tune + 4.10 gears = then add nitrous to that and , nice to see a stang owner comin to the LS1 side
Old 03-14-2006, 09:24 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lay down your bolt on foundation first or you'll still be slow even with a cam. as i stated in the cam guide, my recommendation would be a tr224 112 or FM13. nobody can tell you what "big", "small", and "medium" are as those are relative terms.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

OOPs sorry didnt realize he was an M6.