Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft install

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft install

how hard is it to swap cams in ls1 f-body i have decent mechanical knowledge, this would be the first time i attempted anything internal. would you reccomend a pro, or could a guy with some mild mechanical knowledge tackle a project like this
Old 04-01-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

www.ls1howto.com
Old 04-01-2006, 06:32 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerotosixzero
how hard is it to swap cams in ls1 f-body i have decent mechanical knowledge, this would be the first time i attempted anything internal. would you reccomend a pro, or could a guy with some mild mechanical knowledge tackle a project like this
Hey man, I think that you can get it. Just follow the install guide closely and take your time. Breaks are a must as well.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am right in the middle of my cam swap on my Vette (there is a thread on it in the Corvette section). I am doing heads/cam swap as well so mines even more intensive. Please set-out at least a week to do it and make sure you have everything you need right there with you. Make sure to take frequent breaks to relax and not get mad. You can get it just make sure you have the tools and a good buddy to help you out.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good buddy = Coors Light and or Jack, Jim, or Johnny
Old 04-02-2006, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
I am right in the middle of my cam swap on my Vette (there is a thread on it in the Corvette section). I am doing heads/cam swap as well so mines even more intensive. Please set-out at least a week to do it and make sure you have everything you need right there with you. Make sure to take frequent breaks to relax and not get mad. You can get it just make sure you have the tools and a good buddy to help you out.
good advice...

I've been working on mine 2-3 hours a day unfortunately my friends aren't into cars as much as I am so I am going solo.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take your time. Don't paint yourself into a corner by starting on Friday knowing it has to be running by Sunday because if you need parts......
Old 04-02-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Viper
Take your time. Don't paint yourself into a corner by starting on Friday knowing it has to be running by Sunday because if you need parts......
So true.

Make sure you have ALL the tools you need and take your time. I did mine by myself over a four day holiday without any problems. Take the time and read a few threads where people have problems, then take extra care (i.e. not stripping out the threads on the crank shaft.) or have a back up plan.
Good luck!!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not hard/..... just take your time.... and have the right tools... and i friend.

here are a few pics of mine...

good luck!
Attached Thumbnails camshaft install-smallhc1.jpg   camshaft install-smallhc.jpg   camshaft install-smallhc2.jpg   camshaft install-smallhc18.jpg   camshaft install-smallhc17.jpg