Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to go about replacing piston & rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to go about replacing piston & rod

ok well my cts-v has a blown piston and rod, all the others are fine, how do i go about just getting 1 piston and rod & bearings and rings? should i just order right from GM? performance shop?

also do i have to hone the cylinder if it doesnt look gouged up??

thanks, i am talking to engine shops and they want everything torn down completely but i dont see why that is necessary fro just 1 rod and piston

thanks for the help!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Launching!

What do you mean by blown piston? If the shops are telling you that it needs a complete rebuild then it probably needs a complete rebuild! If by blown piston you mean there is a hole in your piston that means that there is now debris in your oiling system that could cause more damage. They could probably replace just the one piston and rod and then two weeks later find out that you need all new rod and main bearings from damage from the little pieces of piston still floating around.
The best thing to do is have the machine shop take it apart, clean and inspect everything, check for other damage and then fix the problem. If the engine doesnt have a lot of miles on it and there was no damage to the crank you might be able to get away with a light hone and new bearings. And all the other new neccisities of course. Even if the cylinder doesnt look gouged up it still might need to be honed incase it is out of round. A proper hone will help with ring seal. If the rings dont seal properly you will start to burn oil and have other problems (loss in power, etc).
Old 08-22-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

see pics in here that is how i know i am needing a new piston and rod, the rest are fine, this was due to a hydrolocked motor.

i was thinking hone the cylinder and put in a new piston and rod and new bearings on the crank, as well as ARP Or lingenfelter rod bolts.

http://sio.midco.net/dvandentop2/engine%20removal/
Old 08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is this a good kit for a rebuild?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eagle...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle313
What do you mean by blown piston? If the shops are telling you that it needs a complete rebuild then it probably needs a complete rebuild! If by blown piston you mean there is a hole in your piston that means that there is now debris in your oiling system that could cause more damage. They could probably replace just the one piston and rod and then two weeks later find out that you need all new rod and main bearings from damage from the little pieces of piston still floating around.
The best thing to do is have the machine shop take it apart, clean and inspect everything, check for other damage and then fix the problem. If the engine doesnt have a lot of miles on it and there was no damage to the crank you might be able to get away with a light hone and new bearings. And all the other new neccisities of course. Even if the cylinder doesnt look gouged up it still might need to be honed incase it is out of round. A proper hone will help with ring seal. If the rings dont seal properly you will start to burn oil and have other problems (loss in power, etc).

I strongly agree
complete rebuild
I agree on all your posts bro. You born to Hot Rod werent you
You probley been around cars all your life
Old 08-22-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the shops have not even seen the motor i was just telling them what is wrong, they just want me to take everything off before bringing it to them.

One place said I can do a hone on just that cylinder and will be ok as long as i clean out the block real good and get all metal of the engine.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

you are gonna have everything out it is better to do it now then fix it and have it eat a bearing or something within a few days.

and if your car is an 05 wouldent it be under warranty. maby gm would throw a new engine your way
Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Launching!

I want to clarify what I mean. I know shops are out ot make money and what not and you might not NEED a complete rebuild (replacing pistons, honing, resizing/replacing rods, turing or polishing the crank, cleaing, reassembly, etc) but if it were me and I had the money I would have the shop take it apart and inspect everything. Especially if this car is my daily driver. I would definetly find out what caused the problem in the first place. If you are on a budget and you can get away with a light hone and new bearings and the shop thinkis its ok you will probably be fine. The major thing is having the block cleaned and taking a brush to the oil galleries. After looking at the pictures you can see where debris knicked the cylinder walls. Now all that crap is in your oil system.

"I agree on all your posts bro. You born to Hot Rod werent you
You probley been around cars all your life"
Thanks... I think
Old 08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
The kit looks pretty good. The forged crank seems like a little overkill unless you plan on running nitrous(250-300+)/forced induction/more than 550 HP. The stock crank is pretty strong. If you wanted to do a mild performance build you could just get new forged pistons and arp or katech rod bolts. Then have everything balanced at a local machine shop.

What are you HP goals? What do you want to do with the car?

I think they made a typo on the compression ratio they have: Comp Ratio: 11.0:1 w/64cc Head, 11.0:1 w/66cc Head, 10.0:1 w/72cc Head
I would double chck their numbers in one of the calculators

http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp
Old 08-22-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably just going to do heads/cam and that is the most i would do. i just figured aftermarket might be cheaper then stock stuff.

i am sure the block is still good though, do you think it looks like a new sleeve for it might be better?