Sponsored by:

1/4 in gap between new 408 stroker and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 in gap between new 408 stroker and tranny

Guys,

I've got a 1/4in gap between the 408 I just dropped in and the tranny.....have a feeling it might be the 2 steel dowels preventing me from getting a snug fit...has anyone run into this problem before?...what if I just removed the dowels and bolted it up?...Would this compromise the integrity of the drivetrain?

Comments/Ideas/ Suggestions?....

Stroker2112
Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check clutch alignment before I ground some dowels off. Just a suggestion. But I would definitely check everything before removing something. I had a problem similar the other day when I installed my twin disk. Some people say that you can take the tq arm bolts and use them to pull the transmission forward due to them being the same thread but longer to get the reach. Impact wrench will make sure it goes in too. But be careful if you do that. Make sure that your wiring harness isnt stuck at the top of it between the trans and the bellhousing also.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

you dont have to grind dowels off, you just knock them out with a punch... and an impact gun is dangerous if theres something stopping the trans and engine to mesh you are just going to chew your threads to bits in your block, or break something
Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

How is it gonna hurt the block?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well, maybe I should clear that last statement up. The easier way to install a transmission is to do it in 2 pieces. That way you know what is lining up where. Is the gap between the transmission between the bellhousing or the bellhousing and block.

BTW: I know that you can jack the block up with an impact wrench permanently.
That wasnt what I was trying to get at.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, the gap is between the bellhousing and block...I can get the bottom flush..but the gap increases up from there....I tried pulling everything together (engine hoisted slightly and tranny jacked so no weight to impede the threads) by screwing the bellhousing bolts on the top into and pullling the block tight but without success. It has to be one of the dowels...don't know what else it could be. When I removed the old engine, my biggest obstacle was the dowels...(they stuck into the block)...and so when I removed them and put back into the tranny...I knicked the edges on one with my sledge....that could be whats impeding my effort.... I'll hoist the engine out again and work on that dowel's edges to see if that works.

-also-

Another question- interesting enough, before the dowel incident, I was able to get the tranny flush...I had to remove it though to remove a bracket from the back of the block. Anyway, when I was hooking everyhting up the first time(couple weeks earlier)...I screwed in the driveplate-to-torque converter bolts...and got all three in...but couldn't rotate the drivewheel after the 3rd bolt...why would that be?....

thanks for the feedback...its good to hear what everyone else has run into ..

Stroker2112
Old 08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Oh, didnt know that you were an A4.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

This might be a better Automatic Transmission section topic.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea...wasn't sure...I'll post it there ...thanks

Stroker2112
Old 08-24-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Something isn't lined up right. I wouldn't force it but sometimes it's takes a little bit to get it started. Be careful and make sure you have everything right.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Do not force it! You need to make sure the TC is installed correctly and completely on the input shaft. Otherwise, if you force the two together, the front pump of the trans will be crushed and not work. If you are certain it's the dowel pins, try sanding them if they are nicked up. The engine and trans need to be at the same angle to line up properly. Based on how you describe the alignment I would try slightly jacking the front of the engine up (make sure you use a block of wood between the engine and jack). This should help.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Do not force it! You need to make sure the TC is installed correctly and completely on the input shaft. Otherwise, if you force the two together, the front pump of the trans will be crushed and not work. If you are certain it's the dowel pins, try sanding them if they are nicked up. The engine and trans need to be at the same angle to line up properly. Based on how you describe the alignment I would try slightly jacking the front of the engine up (make sure you use a block of wood between the engine and jack). This should help.
This is true, happened to a friend of mines car. I would check this first. Make sure the TC is in all the way and spins.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Do not force it! You need to make sure the TC is installed correctly and completely on the input shaft. Otherwise, if you force the two together, the front pump of the trans will be crushed and not work. .
Ding,ding,ding, we have a winner.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:17 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoMoreFWD
Ding,ding,ding, we have a winner.
i was thinking the same.
dowels arent gonna cause that problem. its not an interfernance fit. even with a nick, it should still wiggle on.
good luck.