Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated: Home Ported Heads Information Page

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Updated: Home Ported Heads Information Page

My site was down for a month or so since it was totally screwed up.
I put the heads page back up and added some more info.
It still needs some polishing but it's getting there. Let me know if it's helpful or if you have anything to add.
http://shinken.us/DIY_heads
I gave some credits. If you see a pic of yours, let me know and I'll make you famous
Old 09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice work keep it up must have alot of time on your hands huh
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not to bust you'r bubble but you didn't do a lot
Old 09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like he did a lot to me.

Are you going to have them flow tested?
Old 09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vanilla89
not to bust you'r bubble but you didn't do a lot
Please, bust my bubble and elaborate.

I didn't do a lot of porting or I didn't do a lot for the page?

Either way, what can I do better? Can you show me an example of something you've done for inspiration?

Thanks.

I'm not gonna have them flow tested since the test is so subjective and I believe deep down that the ports are as even as they are going to be.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenkaru
Please, bust my bubble and elaborate.

I didn't do a lot of porting or I didn't do a lot for the page?

Either way, what can I do better? Can you show me an example of something you've done for inspiration?

Thanks.

I'm not gonna have them flow tested since the test is so subjective and I believe deep down that the ports are as even as they are going to be.
Ive been seening this joker shitting on a lot of threads lately. Keep up the good work, kenkaru. I dont think he knows as much as he thinks he does.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks GuitsBoy. You were/are a great help to me in my DIY heads project.
I got some graduated cylinders and I still need to cc the ports,
then I'll bug you some more about DCR If I understand any of it, I'll put some DCR info on the page too.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job. I'll be using this as a guide. Nice shop btw LMAO!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You aren't done with those heads are you??? Seems like a lot of chewed up areas with "chatter" marks like you didn't use non-ferous bits. Also, is there not enough material to bring the "long side" radius on the exhaust port to a point prior to the guide? That's usually the shape I've seen on SBC-I heads (and have copied on my other heads on SBC Fords too) and want to understand why your's aren't shaped that way...

Also, did you have any templates made to match each port to one another? That's the "old school" method of reproducing a port from one to another, back before CNC came around. You could take a template from a CNC ported head as your base, and combined with your cutaways, come to a conclusion of what you could accomplish with hand porting without getting to close to water jackets/etc.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see the chatter marks in the pics. I'm not being defensive or anything I just don't see them.
The three collages at the top of the page are a compilation of the best pictures I could find that showed attainable results. They are not pictures of the heads I ported myself. I could take pics and post them and maybe I will but I think it's sort of a waste of time since they are going to look very similar to what is already shown. (and it's a pain the *** to get the camera to focus and not glare etc)

There are 5 pics of exhaust ports. I believe one of them features the pointy guide effect your mentioning.

There was some talk about templates a little over a year ago but, to my knowledge, no on has made any. I used some calipers and my sense of touch to match the ports. I'm fairly artistic and I think they're very close. On the few areas where you remove a significant amount of material, I think it's pertty easy to match the ports so you don't really need templates.

Maybe I should add to the site that it's not all about "how much material you can remove." The goal is to make them flow better, not make them lighter. Bo White actually flowed a few sets he ported. Much of the info I put up came from him.

The DIY head topic has done it's rounds a few times and verdict from the pros/semipros is unless you're going to do R&D with a flow bench, your best bet is to clean them up rather than F**K them up.

If anyone knows who posted the crosscut pics, I'd like to give him credit since a crap load of people have and will benefit from his sharing.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
Nice job. I'll be using this as a guide. Nice shop btw LMAO!
My wife thought it was pretty funny too. NOT!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see the chatter marks in the pics. I'm not being defensive or anything I just don't see them.
The three collages at the top of the page are a compilation of the best pictures I could find that showed attainable results. They are not pictures of the heads I ported myself.
Ahhhhh, that's it then. The collage in the upper left is the one that shows the unfinished work (or done with the wrong/clogged bit). This is the port in the pic that has the chatter marks on it...

Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My site was down for a month or so since it was totally screwed up.
I put the heads page back up and added some more info.
It still needs some polishing but it's getting there. Let me know if it's helpful or if you have anything to add.
http://shinken.us/DIY_heads
I gave some credits. If you see a pic of yours, let me know and I'll make you famous
Way to go!

Those headlights are great. We should've been born with one of those
Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll bet the chatter marks are there because the porter didn't have any sanding drums that fit in there.

The headlamp worked out extremely well. I always had light exactly where I needed it. I now use it every time I work outside. We really should be born with them!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

The exhaust cutaway in your collection is not originally mine but I put the red lines in to use as a guide for porting. I have respect for anyone thats willing to do porting themselves, everyone that does it as a hobby or a living started somewere
Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo White
The exhaust cutaway in your collection is not originally mine but I put the red lines in to use as a guide for porting. I have respect for anyone thats willing to do porting themselves, everyone that does it as a hobby or a living started somewere
The MAN himself has entered! A search on Bo's screen name will result in a mountain of useful head porting posts.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

Dude, those arent chatter marks. I suggest you got get an aluma bur, and try doing some heads yourself. I'm sure you'll soon see what real chatter marks look like then
Old 09-11-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha yup yup
Old 09-11-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I dont think he knows as much as he thinks he does.
you dont know me.u have no idea what i know.so dont say any thing about me. all i said was he didn't do a lot of port work on the heads.i port heads all day so i know a little bit about them and he didn't remove alot of metal wich is probley better cause he dont know what he's doing anway
Old 09-11-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by domination
Dude, those arent chatter marks. I suggest you got get an aluma bur, and try doing some heads yourself. I'm sure you'll soon see what real chatter marks look like then
Chatter marks can look much worse than those, but those are indeed chatter marks. I've done about 10 different sets of aluminum and iron V8 heads, and probably 100+ sets of 2 cycle cylinders/ports, so I do know what finish to expect when the project is done right. I've been racing and modifying related parts in some form or another since I was 5 years old (nearly 30 years), so I do know what I am talking about here.