Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proprietary lobes vs. Off the shelf lobes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Proprietary lobes vs. Off the shelf lobes

I have been researching a possible new cam for my car. While searching for setups similar to mine; I notice that a lot of companies that sell/advertise custom grinds (mostly comp) use a proprietary lobe design instead of the ones I am able to find such as an XE, XE-R, XFI, or LSK. Do any of you cam gurus think that these proprietary lobes are making more power than the "off the shelf" lobes listed above or is the difference so nominal that it really doesn't matter? Does any one sponsor/company have a lobe that is known to be better performer than say a traditional XE-R lobe with roughly the same lift or even an LSK with less lift? Thanks in advance.

Josh
Old 09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmm, interesting
Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

TTT for you.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Companies such as Thunder Racing use Comp propietary lobes. The difference usualy lies in the .200 and .400 lifts ramp shape.
As for benefits it really depends on the application....
Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead. Great original post with not much imput. I would love to know which companies, such as Thunder Racing, Futral, etc. use propriatary lobes.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Bringing this back from the dead. Great original post with not much imput. I would love to know which companies, such as Thunder Racing, Futral, etc. use propriatary lobes.
Search "cam motion" We have had a lot of lobe discussions in threads where we talked about them. Basically from what I know, EPS and Thunder i know have special lobes through Comp. Cam motion makes their own cams as well as Futral's for him to his specs. To my knowledge they are unique, although i have never called Cam Motion to confirm this. But I don't see it being any other way.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Search "cam motion" We have had a lot of lobe discussions in threads where we talked about them. Basically from what I know, EPS and Thunder i know have special lobes through Comp. Cam motion makes their own cams as well as Futral's for him to his specs. To my knowledge they are unique, although i have never called Cam Motion to confirm this. But I don't see it being any other way.

Yeah, I've read a lot about Cam Motion and like what I've seen. I know that Ed Curtis' cams are proprietary lobes ground by Comp. So does Futral have proprietary lobes through Cam Motion?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that Geoff from EPS have his own proprietary lobes (LSG).
It looks like every company have its own lobes. Comp, Cam Motion, Futral, Kateck, Livernois, SDPC, Thunder, 21Century, Vengeance, Lunati, TSP....etc.

As for the benefits of different lobes, there are HUGE benefits in terms of performance and valvetrain stability.

Last edited by Samer; 05-25-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've got a handful of our own "TSP" lobes with Comp that we had made for us. Almost anybody can have their own lobes, truth be known!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
We've got a handful of our own "TSP" lobes with Comp that we had made for us. Almost anybody can have their own lobes, truth be known!
Do you market these lobes? Do they have specific names and characteristics to go with each one? Was each one designed with a different purpose in mind? Are these lobes on your shelf cams? Could you order a shelf grind with a "custom" lobe? You've got my attention, tell us more.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have them on a few of our shelf cams, namely the LS3/L99 camshaft with VVT. They were designed for those specific applications, be it for better piston to valve clearance, better stability with relatively heavy valvetrain components, etc. We do not offer them on custom grinds.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
As for benefits it really depends on the application....
This is probably the most critical piece of info thus far. Whomever it is designing these "proprietary" lobes really need to know their ****, not to mention the application the lobes will be applied to.

A lobe that works well in an LS6 may destroy everything in an L92.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I honestly think on high hp applications, lobe design can be critical. On a cam/bolt ons LS1 street car, not so much. One may make 5 more hp, one may be a tad easier on the valvetrain. The bottom line is, with any cam or mods in general, routine maintenance has just gone through the roof. Way above your typical average production engine/car. I don't think a cam exist that makes great power and you drop springs in and forget them for 200k. Doesn't happen. Its a push pull battle and something has to give. Some lobes may very well be better for some applications and worse for others. I could name a dozen cams off the top of my head that are proven performers. Don't tell me someone is going to grind the same cam on a slightly different lobe and it will blow that cam out of the water with less maintenance. Aint gonna happen.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Don't tell me someone is going to grind the same cam on a slightly different lobe and it will blow that cam out of the water with less maintenance. Aint gonna happen.
Believe me, it happened !!
Some famous cams with old lobes are now blown away by smaller cams with new lobes that are also easier on the valvetrain.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Yes, anyone can have their own proprietary lobes IF you'd like to shell out $500+ for each design........
Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Samer
Believe me, it happened !!
Some famous cams with old lobes are now blown away by smaller cams with new lobes that are also easier on the valvetrain.
Yeah! that approach can be an awsome marketing gimmic as well , good Koolaid.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would love to hear some more thoughts on this. Great thread with not a lot of imput.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to see a cam using the exhaust lobes from the '01 LS6, for all the lobes, but on a much tighter LSA, around 110. That should still be an install-then-forget cam, that should do 200K miles, but would build torque better than the crate 330 HP 5.3, because the crate cam has way too much non-overlap, and needs a bit more intake duration.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
FormerVendor

Smile

It is less about making power, and more about what is appropriate (IMO). Anyone with a catalog can pick out a relatively aggressive cam and make power - that is the easy part. Finding the appropriate compromise between power potential and trade offs in driving manners, RPM headroom, longevity etc. are where we begin to muddy the waters.

More info on that stuff including a graph in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/15159589-post27.html

Seems it up and died...

Last edited by Advanced Induction; 08-08-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: alter link
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Yeah! that approach can be an awsome marketing gimmic as well , good Koolaid.
please elaborate! Thanks

Quick Reply: Proprietary lobes vs. Off the shelf lobes