Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do about rockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what to do about rockers

Ok I currently have a set of 1.8 ratio Yella Terra Roller rockers on my car. I Am in the process of preparing to do a 383 build up with new heads and cam. My question is should I keep the 1.8 YT rockers or sell them off and get my stock rockers upgraded by Nasty performance? My reason for asking is like thunder racing doesn not recomend 1.8 ratio rockers with most of there cams. I plan on going with a custom grind cam for this build up. Any advice would be great. thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Just watch your lift with the new cam ,Those 1.8 rockers will raise the lift of your new cam alot. witch can cause coil bind or piston to valve clearance.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Just watch your lift with the new cam ,Those 1.8 rockers will raise the lift of your new cam alot. witch can cause coil bind or piston to valve clearance.
I realize this I am just wondering if I should sell the 1.8's and use my stockers if there are any advantages either way. I can get the cam done to whatever specs I want to reflect either rocker. And I am going to use a piston with a -2cc valve releif.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your two options are to either sell your YT's and use the money to have your stock rockers rebuilt or talk to Cam Motion or Thunder Racing or whoever grinds your cam and have them do a custom grind for your rocker ratio and your particular setup.

Personally I would just sell the YT's and rebuild the stockers. You could probably sell them for enough to pay for the rebuild and have some money left over pay for other parts you will need for your 383 build.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle313
Personally I would just sell the YT's and rebuild the stockers. You could probably sell them for enough to pay for the rebuild and have some money left over pay for other parts you will need for your 383 build.
that is kinda what I was thinking.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:57 AM
Teching In

If you relly wanted to you could degree your cam to get real lift specs and multiply that by your rocker arm ratio and that will give you your max lift. and then you could check ur clearance by taking the cylinder heads off and useing putty to measure the piston to valve clearance... but there are other methods of doing that to. as for coil bind you might need new springs but its somthing your going to have to measure and check to make sure if it will work or not. but 1.8's do sound agressive for your application.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are these the older Yella Terra's before they lightened them up? I wouldn't put them on the new cam if they are. The 1.8's would likely require more spring to control, which also means more load back to the lifters. Not sure what springs you plan to run, but you need to figure out what the open lifter load will be and if you are going to overload the lifters. Otherwise, go back to the stock units.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 AM
10 Second Club

I am not sure if I have the old Yella Terra's or not. I am going to be running the patriot Dual gold springs
Old 10-13-2006, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

I wouldnt run the 1.8 on anything but stock componets b/c the 1.8's with stiffer springs will put to much stress on your lifters.