Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed the oil and found something werid.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed the oil and found something werid.

I am in the process of getting my car ready for storage, so I changed the oil today. When I got the plug out I noticed some sludge on the end of the plug. I wiped it off and it is a dark silver in color. What could it be? Oil pressure is good 40 psi at idle when warm. Car has 70 K miles on it. I hope something is not starting to fail inside somewhere.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles since you last changed it?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would do an oil analysis on your next change, or wait 2K miles and take a sample.

Dyson Analysis
Old 10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using Mobil 1 5W-30. It was a little over 5 K when i changed it Its not making any werid noises, except the imfamous piston slap when cold.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that I think about it, When I first bought the car 2 years ago; I changed the oil. When I pulled the plug out and found some grey sludge on it at 40K Miles. I have since changed over to synethic, and was pondering if It was cleaning the motor out; since dino oil was used since it was new. I dont know hoping for the best I guess. I will have to get an oil analysis, when I bring the car back out this spring.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:12 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopfully it isn't signs of a failing bearing.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if its just a tiny bit, nothing to worry about. Ive had a little bit of silver stuck to the magnet every oil change since the car was new.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
if its just a tiny bit, nothing to worry about. Ive had a little bit of silver stuck to the magnet every oil change since the car was new.
That's pretty much the case. The bearing material isn't ferrous metal and so doesn't stick to a magnet. The cylinder sleeves, cam and lifters, timing chain and gears, oil pump, crankshaft journals etc. are all areas of potential friction and to have a little bit of metal "powder" on the drain plug is not unusual. An oil analysis from time is a good thing but if you have good pressure and don't hear any unusual noises you're probably just fine.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
That's pretty much the case. The bearing material isn't ferrous metal and so doesn't stick to a magnet. The cylinder sleeves, cam and lifters, timing chain and gears, oil pump, crankshaft journals etc. are all areas of potential friction and to have a little bit of metal "powder" on the drain plug is not unusual. An oil analysis from time is a good thing but if you have good pressure and don't hear any unusual noises you're probably just fine.

Thats good to hear
Old 12-01-2006, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I second that! I've had a little bit on my car since I bought it with 55K on it. It now has 110K and all is well.