Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to store a Powertrain in a humid climate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best way to store a Powertrain in a humid climate?

Well she destroyed one of my Silverados. I can either take the pay off or keep the vehicle and $2,500.00 less. The chassis, cab, bed, pass side doors and fender are history, but the powertrain (eng and trans) are OK. I live in south Louisiana where the humidity is about 90% most of the time and I know this can be a big problem when storing a motor. What do I need to do to keep rust from attacking the bearings, cylinder walls and rings. I'm wondering if I should remove the pan to keep condensation from building up inside the crankcase or should I leave it in place? I don't think the transmission will be as vulnerable to rust as the engine or can it too develop problems say in the valve body or bands if it is stored in humid conditions for a period of time?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would personally try to store it inside if at all possible. I don't know much otherwise, but that might help some.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

The motor will be stored in the garage so rain and snow are not a problem, but condensation is. I've been told not to store it on the concrete floor because a lot of condensation builds up overnite there and the motor is going to probable sweat too when the humidity is near 100%. The moisture I want to fight would be in the crankcase and the cylinders. I was also told not to wrap the engine in plastic because that would act as moisture barrier trapping the condensation inside. I'm just curious whether I should pull the pan off to help increase air flow in the crank area. A little air flow goes a long way in reducing condensation whereas leaving the pan in place might trap moisture. I'd like to know what people coat their cylinder wall with to prevent rust. Like maybe the stuff valve lifter are coated with when they are shipped. I'm sure lifters must sit on the shelf for a while before they get shipped out for sale so they have to stay rust free until they are purchased. What is that stuff? Also what about the transmission. Do I need to worry about the valve body or the bands getting rusted?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in a very humid environment as well, and in the winter I keep the car in a carbag. This is basically a big sleeping bag that you put the car into and zip it up with bags of dessicant in the carbag to keep the car dry.

I have seen similar items for motors and other drive train parts. However, carbag does make a similar item for a motorcycle, which you might be able to use for the engine/tranny combination. You can also get some extra dessicant from Mid-America or somewhere to make sure the units stay dry.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in high humid area as well. Now call me weird but I store my unused motors and trannies in huge vaccum sealed bags. Stays fresh till the day you open it.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some boat motor fogging oil and spray it in side all openings like intake/exhaust and spark plug holes. Seal up all ports with duct tape and seal the engine in a tight plastic bag and your good to go.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:37 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I live in high humid area as well. Now call me weird but I store my unused motors and trannies in huge vaccum sealed bags. Stays fresh till the day you open it.
That's an extremely good idea. Removes all air and humdidity. Then you can basically put the parts in the bag where ever you want.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

If anything keep it inside your house if you have the AC on all the time etc, and if you have a spare room or area to keep it...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

How long is this enging going to set? If it is only a few weeks it will be fine the way it is just seal it up like stated earlier. I stored a fresh engine prior to install but the prob I had was mice deciding to build condos in the intake valley. Be sure to seal it up that is the key. Spray some WD 40 in the cylinders and put the plugs back in. The bearings will be fine and if you want spray down the outside if the engine with WD 40 and bag it. Dont store it on an engine stand as the weight hanging is said to distort the rear 2 cylinder walls if left hanging too long
Old 10-23-2008, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

use the humidity bags i don't know how to get them but all the electronics are shipped with those small bags they say do not eat
Old 10-23-2008, 06:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Holy old thread. I guess this is good that I reread all of this though. I put an LT1 short block in my garage last night. I live a block away from the beach and I have a really hard time dealing with bare metal items rusting. I had the top exposed side of the PCV valley off of one of my LT1 intakes rust in about three days. The only parts on the bottom side that rusted were my finger prints.