Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap in Progress...Is This Broke ??? PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap in Progress...Is This Broke ??? PICS

So after getting to the last rocker on the driver side I pulled it out and found what it looks to be part of the threaded sleeve in the cylinder head suck in the rocker mount hole, theres about 1/4 inch off the sleeve in the rocker mount, but I can still see some of it in the head to.

Next...right after taking of the crankbolt, I found this laying under the car. Can anyone tell me what this is?

And lastly I've been having alot of problems with the car missfiring, I cant seem to drive it more than a mile before the missing gets so bad I have to stop and then it will shut-off, also throws the P0300 code so I decided to check the spark plugs which were completely COVERED is carbon

What would cause this? running to rich?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 3rd pic, put something net to it in the pic so I can gauge the size. With the spark plug, I'm gonna say yes , rich. Do a leakdown test to see fi the rings are bad in that cylinder (provided the other spark plugs look good ). With the first pic I'm at a loss, normally the rocker bolt just goes through there so I'm not sure how part of the thread came out.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The first pic on the rocker rail it looks like a helicoil insert... The other thing looks kinda like a swaybar bushing, but those aren't black.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The sparks plugs look like that in every cylinder so the car must just be running rich although I have used a bottle of ovtane booster or two so that may be it also.

As for the first pic it looks like that threaded sleeve should be in the cylinder head, and there is some in there, so Im thinking some of it may have pulled out and then it broke? Is it ok to put back in since there is still a threaded sleeve in the head for the rocker to bolt down to?

And does no one know that the random peice is? I found it after pulling the crankbolt...I may have to goto the dealer and try to find out.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any sponsors or "experts" out there know if this is okay to go back in, or what the other peice is ??? Im almost ready to reinstall all these parts !!!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

If the mystery part is about the size of a nickle could it be one of the rubber gasket inserts for the valve cover bolts?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will take another pic today wit hs omthing to compare its size too...anyone else know about the head?????
Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
I will take another pic today wit hs omthing to compare its size too...anyone else know about the head?????
You need to remove the remaining part of the helicoil that is in the head and loctite a new one in place. I can't remember what size it is, but 8mm x 1.25 sounds familiar.

And the round thing looks like part of a balancer puller, but I don't know how it would stay in or around the balancer, is it steel?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, does this peice have to be specifically made for these heads or any helicoil of the right size will work? Ill prolly give patriot a call and see if they have any peices of it.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So While I was out in the garage today I started looking at the rockers and noticed that while all the cylinders had the bolt on the right side in the picture below, cylinder #7 (which is the one that had half the helicoil pulled out) had the bolt on the left in it.

Also does anyone have any tips on getting the old peice out and will I need to get a helicoil puller/install tool?

I also took a picture of the random peice next to the radiator cap for size:

Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Teching In

That rubber piece next to the radiator cap looks like the mounting bushing for the radiator.Do u have the radiator out ?
If so look at the bottom of the core support u will see another one just like it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackssz
That rubber piece next to the radiator cap looks like the mounting bushing for the radiator.Do u have the radiator out ?
If so look at the bottom of the core support u will see another one just like it.
That sounds like it. It slides right over the drain if I recall.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i checked the car, theres a round hole on the passenger side of the metal bar that goes rught under that radiator and a squeare rubber peice on the oppsite side so it looks like it goes between the bar and radiator...thanks for the info.