Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install today, cant find the crank gear Dot!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam install today, cant find the crank gear Dot!

I've removed the oil pump to get a better view, and for the life of us, we can not find a dot on the darn crankshaft gear!

I'd assume there has to be one!

The block is an LPE 383 if that matters.

Any advice, hints or tips???
Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be right there on a tooth, maybe the crank gear is installed backwards so that the dot is now facing the block. Are you running an aftermarket timing set? My aftermarket set can be installed backwards and if it is you wont see the dot. You may have to pull it off and flip it around.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
It should be right there on a tooth, maybe the crank gear is installed backwards so that the dot is now facing the block. Are you running an aftermarket timing set? My aftermarket set can be installed backwards and if it is you wont see the dot. You may have to pull it off and flip it around.
Crank gear installed backwards, huh? I guess thats possible, tho I'd hope someone like LPE wouldnt havre made that kind of mistake. I dont see how that part can be backwards, but I'll gear a mirror back there and take a look.

My timing set is a Comp Cams, but I can clearly see the dot on the cam gear - its the crank gear that I am having a problem with.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Crank gear installed backwards, huh? I guess thats possible, tho I'd hope someone like LPE wouldnt havre made that kind of mistake. I dont see how that part can be backwards, but I'll gear a mirror back there and take a look.

My timing set is a Comp Cams, but I can clearly see the dot on the cam gear - its the crank gear that I am having a problem with.
Yeah an aftermarket crank gear can go on backwards, it wouldnt hurt anything except you cant see the dot to line up the cam.

Trust me on this one, i installed my aftermarket set and it can be on backwards. Just pull it off and flip it around, bet youll see the dot then. The comp set has to have a dot on it so if you cant find it it has to be on backwards.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You cant install a crank gear backwards unless you've never done anything like this before. The oil pump depends on the crank gear to work, so explain to me how the oil pump would work with it backwards! Also The chain wouldnt even go on if it was backwards.

As far as the dot goes, can you get pic of the gear? There should be a tiny dot on one of the teeth of the crank gear. Try putting the cam sprocket gear where the dot is at the 6-o-clock positin then see if you can see the doton the crank gear at the 12-o-clock position. The timing chain will need to be on for this.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
The oil pump depends on the crank gear to work, so explain to me how the oil pump would work with it backwards! Also The chain wouldnt even go on if it was backwards.
Many aftermarket timing sets use seperate oil pump drives from the timing gear. I know my manley was this way.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

As Z'mnypit said, put the cam gear dot at the 6 o'clock position and look at the crank, if nothing spin it over once and look again.

Worst case get piston 1 up to top dead center (TDC) and look for the crank gear dot, if still nothing turn it over one more time and look.

After that I would try to "feel" for the dot as you turn the engine over slowly.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

You cant install a crank gear backwards unless you've never done anything like this before. The oil pump depends on the crank gear to work, so explain to me how the oil pump would work with it backwards! Also The chain wouldnt even go on if it was backwards.

As far as the dot goes, can you get pic of the gear? There should be a tiny dot on one of the teeth of the crank gear. Try putting the cam sprocket gear where the dot is at the 6-o-clock positin then see if you can see the doton the crank gear at the 12-o-clock position. The timing chain will need to be on for this.
Someone apparantly has never installed an aftermarket crank gear before. It can go on backwards and the oil pump driver is seperate from the crank gear on aftermarket sets.

Have you actually ever replaced a timing set? Not trying to be a dick but Ive done it and know they can be put on backwards. Dont come on here and say it cant go on backwards unless youve never done it before when i have done it before and it can go on backwards.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slow67
Many aftermarket timing sets use seperate oil pump drives from the timing gear. I know my manley was this way.
My Cloyes set is like that too. the oil pump drive is seperate from the crank gear which allows the crank gear to be installed backwards if you arent paying attention.

Last edited by brad8266; 03-22-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow67
This is the case here with me today! I got a hold of LPE to talk about this, and there is an extra drive of some sort, mounted to the snout, that is covering the 'dot' i am looking for.

My mechanic thinks he found TDC anyway, by measing with his degree wheel, buty we'll probably pull off that extra oil pump drive to verify!

what a PITA.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
This is the case here with me today! I got a hold of LPE to talk about this, and there is an extra drive of some sort, mounted to the snout, that is covering the 'dot' i am looking for.

My mechanic thinks he found TDC anyway, by measing with his degree wheel, buty we'll probably pull off that extra oil pump drive to verify!

what a PITA.
LOl, i assumed you had the pump drive off, lol. Yeah take it off and then look for the dot. If it still isnt there then flip the crank gear.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
Someone apparantly has never installed an aftermarket crank gear before. It can go on backwards and the oil pump driver is seperate from the crank gear on aftermarket sets.

Have you actually ever replaced a timing set? Not trying to be a dick but Ive done it and know they can be put on backwards. Dont come on here and say it cant go on backwards unless youve never done it before when i have done it before and it can go on backwards.
Ive done many roller master and LS2 sets but none which require a seperate drive for the oil pump. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive done many roller master and LS2 sets but none which require a seperate drive for the oil pump. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Yeah maybe the rollmaster has the crank gear and pump drive as one piece like the stocker does. When i first saw my cloyes set i was like WTF, i didnt get why it was seperate but it makes sense since the crank gear can be positioned 3 different ways but the oil pump drive can only go on one way. Thats all i could make of that.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that's exactly what my friend said (a very experienced mechanic).
Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the Comp timing set for an LS1, see the seperate oil driver?

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...oducts_id=5746

This the cloyes set i have, see the seperate oil driver and pump gear?

I hope that satisfies the "experienced mechanics" out there. No offfense but everyone thinks their "experienced mechanic" knows everything yet most of them dont know much about LS1's.

I would have taken an actual pic of my set but my camera is broken and my set is in my car, lol.

Last edited by brad8266; 03-23-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup - I have that Comps timing set you pictured. and sure enough that same oil pump driver part is on my crank, covering the mystery 'dot'.

Thanks, at least everything makes sense now!

How tough is it to pull off that oil driver from the crank?
...and then re-installing it?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pull the crank gear off with a jaw puller to get it off.