Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flycutting?? milled Tsp 5.3s & ms4

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flycutting?? milled Tsp 5.3s & ms4

well im looking at the TSP 5.3l 2.5s with the larger valves and there ms4 cam... i want them milled . and what head gasket should i use... i wanna lift the comp.

is it nessery to flycutt ?? .... if so were will be the best way to get them done ? and how much will the price be to get them done ?

question about flycutting is .. does it consist of shaving the top of the piston or cutting realiefs in the piston ? if anyone has a few pics that would help me out aloot!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSx007
well im looking at the TSP 5.3l 2.5s with the larger valves and there ms4 cam... i want them milled . and what head gasket should i use... i wanna lift the comp.

is it nessery to flycutt ?? .... if so were will be the best way to get them done ? and how much will the price be to get them done ?

question about flycutting is .. does it consist of shaving the top of the piston or cutting realiefs in the piston ? if anyone has a few pics that would help me out aloot!
If its not milled with larger valves you will most likely need to flycut. That cam is designed for stock head's/valves and stock gasket, even then its close but ok from what tsp say's. If you mill the heads you will definately have to flycut. Fly cutting is cutting reliefs in the pistons, not shaving them down. I got a quote from vengeance (mind you this qoute is hauling the car down there with the heads already off) and they said it would be apx 450 to have them cut. I will be running stock ls6 heads though so i think i have decided against flycutting and just running a tad bit thicker head gasket. I will be throwing the ms4 in my car in about 2 weeks.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 021less
If its not milled with larger valves you will most likely need to flycut. That cam is designed for stock head's/valves and stock gasket, even then its close but ok from what tsp say's. If you mill the heads you will definately have to flycut. Fly cutting is cutting reliefs in the pistons, not shaving them down. I got a quote from vengeance (mind you this qoute is hauling the car down there with the heads already off) and they said it would be apx 450 to have them cut. I will be running stock ls6 heads though so i think i have decided against flycutting and just running a tad bit thicker head gasket. I will be throwing the ms4 in my car in about 2 weeks.
Running thicker gasket will increase your chances of detonnation. If your heads have bigger valves, it will take a pretty thick one with that cam.
IMO either flycut, or change cams to one that fits with good clearances.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Call TSP I did that combo on my 02 TA, And you have to flycut no mater what They milled the heads for me to. I will have to go home and check what gasket I used I cant remember. If you do that combo you will make some sick power just for heads and cam. I came out with 477 RWHP and 427 RWTQ on stock LS6 intake and TB car runs pretty strong. TSP did the flycutting for $300
Old 05-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

actually onemean01 .. ur set up is eaxtly what im trying to copy =)
i have the block on a engine stand . when the do the cutting are the pistons out of the block or do they do it with it still assembled >>?
or would i have to disasemble it and take the pistons seperate .. can any machin shop do it or is it a something not comnly done ?? how much will i have to tell them to cut ?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSx007
actually onemean01 .. ur set up is eaxtly what im trying to copy =)
i have the block on a engine stand . when the do the cutting are the pistons out of the block or do they do it with it still assembled >>?
or would i have to disasemble it and take the pistons seperate .. can any machin shop do it or is it a something not comnly done ?? how much will i have to tell them to cut ?
This may be of some help.

I purchased TSPs stage 2.5 5.3L heads, milled to 59cc. I will be using a .040" head gasket, and the MS4 cam on a 111LSA. I flycut my pistons while in was on a stand (no need to disassemble rotating assembly):

The pistons look strange from the tape residue. I taped off the entire deck surface and cut out holes for the cutting process.

I did not have the top end package from TSP while I had the use of the flycutting tools, so I cut .090" intake side and .060" exhaust side. I was told I would not need to cut the exhaust but decided to do it while I had the chance.

New motor goes in Saturday!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

how did it turn out?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

daMN bro..Did you use the same size cutter on both sides??? looking a little close to the ringland there...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

so how much would a shop charge for this labor ? or would it be a lil cheaper and better performance wise to just get forged pistons with the relieves already cut for them ?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Like I said TSP charges $300 to do the flycutting in the car or with the pistons still in the block. Its not that hard to do if you have the cutter and know how much to cut, I only had TSP do it because I dont hardly have anytime to work on my car. Just call around to some local Machine shops and ask for prices and if they do it. If you are going to go as far as buying new pistons, I personally would just go ahead a build a forged bottom end. I plan on getting rid of my stock bottom end this next winter for a forged one that in the process of being built. Thats just my $.02
Old 05-03-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

The flycutting questions in this thread are absurd. All you had to do was search. It's a simple process that you can do at home.

Originally Posted by OneMean01
I came out with 477 RWHP and 427 RWTQ on stock LS6 intake and TB car runs pretty strong. TSP did the flycutting for $300
Um, wow. That's some nice dyno numbers. Have you taken it to another shop? Not saying who and you never said who dynoed your car, but there are 2-3 sponsors on here with obviously very genrous dynos. They're the joke of the community to everyone other than "internet warriors". Not saying your numbers are wrong at all. Just that verification by comparison would be nice.

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr
daMN bro..Did you use the same size cutter on both sides??? looking a little close to the ringland there...
Yeah no joke!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

It will be no issue unless heavy nitrous or boost is used.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
It will be no issue unless heavy nitrous or boost is used.
Would a 125 shot be an issue with those riglands?

And how do you know what the cut should be, let's say you're using a stock head with the cutters for the correct size valves, now new heads have been milled .030 with a .040 gasket, how would go about calculating the needed depth of the cut for it to work with the new head/gasket combo.

Last edited by Tri5Nerd; 05-03-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Cut then measure. Cut then measure.
Not nearly as complicated as you'd think it is, huh?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah or do some math
Then cut and measure.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did use the proper size cutters, and this is not the first time I've done this. The pistons are OK And if you think those notches are close to the ringlands, you should see some of the 5.0 motors I've done!

Quick Reply: Flycutting?? milled Tsp 5.3s & ms4