Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASA in an A4, and Predator tuning it, anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 11:20 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASA in an A4, and Predator tuning it, anyone??

while doing research to swap cams, I have gained a high interest in the ASA. I know it will be a little less fun under the 2k rpm, but with a 3k stall should feel NICE!! Anyone with the ASA and an A4 please chime in. And also, has anyone, M6 or A4 tuned the cam using Predator? After talking with them, they seem confident thay can do this! TIA.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: ASA in an A4, and Predator tuning it, anyone??

I have the ASA untuned but in an m6. my idle is good, it doesn't stall, but a4 will be asking alot. My impressions of this cam are that its alot more streetable than most people believe, but you still need quality tuning to get the most out of this cam. By quality I mean take to a wideband equipped dyno and make several runs. If your car is like mine its gonna be really rich. I haven't tuned mine yet, but its so rich I bet i'll gain 20rwhp with a good tune I hope so anyway. This cam definetly likes rpms over 2000 but it actually feels like I have about the same torque as stock SOTP at low rpm. However, it pulls and pulls after about 3000 and bangs my 6200 limiter hard, so there is alot of hp left over 6200.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Launching!

I have the ASA untuned but in an m6. my idle is good, it doesn't stall, but a4 will be asking alot. My impressions of this cam are that its alot more streetable than most people believe, but you still need quality tuning to get the most out of this cam. By quality I mean take to a wideband equipped dyno and make several runs. If your car is like mine its gonna be really rich. I haven't tuned mine yet, but its so rich I bet i'll gain 20rwhp with a good tune I hope so anyway. This cam definetly likes rpms over 2000 but it actually feels like I have about the same torque as stock SOTP at low rpm. However, it pulls and pulls after about 3000 and bangs my 6200 limiter hard, so there is alot of hp left over 6200.
What he said. Except I take mine to 6500 rpm and it is still pulling.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

rb185, you got yours in already? thats great! congrats! hey is your car real rich also? I'm in the process of taking mine to get dyno tuned, but I live in a terrible area as far as dynos go. I may drive to thunder in louisiana(yikes) but they are booked till august!
Old 05-12-2003, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Predator is targeted at the "Power Loader" and "HyperTech" market - a man on the street user friendly product that can NOT do everything but is an improvement over those other predecessor products.
I don't feel that they directly compare them selves to LS1Edit, the products are too different, and there references to competition are mostly directed toward Hypertech as some of them used to work for them although they do not specifically say that. LS1Edit is targeted to the serious tuner / enthusiast.

Consider this question: Why would someone pay so much on a car and then penny pinch on a tuner box to get half a tune?

If all you're considering is how much it will all cost you, then consider this:

You put in your new cam, which causes your motor to run at a lean condition that forces your LTrims to be > 25%, which sets a DTC and the SES light. When that happens, the Predator does nothing to cure that condition, as it only makes fuel changes to the Power Enrichment tables for WOT mode only. It does nothing to the closed loop AFR. Looks like you are now dependant on the Predator email list to get a tuning file to solve this problem. You may even end up having to buy a custom tuning file from the folks that sold you the Predator, and you'll load your own PCM with it. There goes any "savings" you thought you gained by buying the Predator.

Quote from one of the reps that sells the Predator: 'Cars that really need tuning (ie. cammed, heads, etc.) will most likely NOT get any benefit out of the base tuning that comes with the Predator. If you're not going to do anything else after putting in the cam, either send your PCM to a custom tuner that's familiar with the level of mods in your car, or find a tuning shop and take your car there.'

Old 05-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Launching!

rb185, you got yours in already? thats great! congrats! hey is your car real rich also? I'm in the process of taking mine to get dyno tuned, but I live in a terrible area as far as dynos go. I may drive to thunder in louisiana(yikes) but they are booked till august!
Yeah it is in. I am running very rich. I can smell the extra gas through my cats. I have ls1 edit so I will play with my tune a little. I am waiting for my LT's to show up before I put my car on the dyno though.
BTW I love the cam. It is perfect. One hell of a lope and so much torque.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Restricted User

CAT, I understand your views and appreciate the input. I do not have a predator, but have been talking with the tech guys. Looks like there are a few owners of ASA cams that are tuning using the predator and with decent to good results, not sure thats the reason for htis post as well as NE problems I may incur with the A4 and the ASA. Now, yes I would have to purchase the Predator ($450 +/-) and then the custom cam tuning ($120) in which case they will continue fine tuning the program until it is right, or so they say. I cannot knock Predator or NEone else cuase I dont have first hand knowledge with them, only questions and answerws so far-BTW I have had very timely repsonses thus far.

As for LS1Edit. I am sure it is a winderful tool, combined with the supporting Auto-tap or equivelant, and a laptop (my finacee has mine now, DOH!). But it seems to be the people that actually know how to use it dont help out that much the peopl trying to use it. e.g. A local shop was trying to get this program down pat to support the customer base, but when "?" arouse about tuning, noone answered. When they called the manufacturer, they were told the compnay only sells it and doesnt have a clue as to how to do...... So, to me, as I once was considering getting LS1Edit and tuning not only my own car,but help others (yeah, I knw about the license issues) I would like to see a bigger support network, from either the Makers, or someone that has a vast knowledge of the program. There are too many posts here and else where that refer to " Help used LS1 Edit and...."

Back to the my point now, trying to findout without tuning will the cam run in my A4 until I get it tuned (LS1Edit or whatever???). TIA.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Restricted User

ttt
Old 05-13-2003, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

sure it will run. It will idle all day long. my only concern is when you put it in drive or reverse it may stall. my car doesn't stall with the a/c on, but the a4 is gonna put different loads on the engine. It may stall when you stop at lights etc.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

if you don't mind driving with two feet some of the time, I think you could tolerate it until you could get it tuned. Just remeber this, even a custom tune from predator is still only going to be as good as a mail order tune. It will NOT be as good as a wideband dyno tuned car.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

I would guess the LTFTs would be good and idle right out of the box.

First guess of what you'll need to do to keep it running, richen the car 8% over the entire closed loop range assuming it would go a bit lean with the changes. Up the idle 175 rpm across the temp range. Up the spark in park and spark in drive to 23 degrees at 400, 800 and 1200 rpm. While your at it, up the rpm limiter to 6600. Add 5% to both PE tables for safety (remove later if you don't need it).

But, no one tune goes across the board for everyone. Get it Dyno Tuned then e-mail Diablosport your file and some notes on the results, install the new one in your PCM and voila! Most Diablosport results have been returned within two days. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

Dioblo is an excellent way to go for cam only cars or even mild heads and cam cars. After getting the downloaded programs its range is almost as good as LS1edit and then you have a diagnostic tool to use. Good way to go in my opinion. Also if anyone wants good pricing let me know we can work something out.
Nate Bonham
Old 05-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Restricted User

CAT, using your guesstimation, is this using the Diablo, or Edit? I am not sure like I said before what all can be done by the user w/ Diablo, and even less sure of HOW TO tune CORRECTLY using Edit!I undertsand WHAT you are saying, and appreciate the info. Also, if getting the car tuned(reprogrammed) I can avoid having to drill a hole in TB right?

Woould to kow if ANY A4 guys have tried this cam and what kind of results they are getting.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Reading on what Predator does on their site, included in the fine tune parameters are PE, Spark (+- 2%only), and rev limit. You'll have to use the PE for you're A/F ratio. It doesn't look like they allow changes to the Idle so drilling. Otherwise, yes Idle can be set by programming. One for in gear, and one for out of gear, and a second set used when the Air Conditioning is turned on. Whenever tune parameters are adjusted, especially PE and Spark, monitor the A/F ratio and check for detonation / pinging!

If DiabloSport have a custom file for you to get started, go with it! This SHOULD get you running, otherwise they are not doing their jobs, you know... Tweaking will always need to be made for max performance. When this time comes, I would recommend taking it to a dyno, get the results, sent them in with some notes and have DiabloSport tweak your file.