Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Oil Pickup In front of sump, engine shop says it wont work, advise please

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 Oil Pickup In front of sump, engine shop says it wont work, advise please

Hey guys,

My engine shop just called me and gave me some news on my motor. They were putting my oil pan and pickup tube on and noticed that the pickup tube is at the front of the sump. They said that if the car launches hard that they are worried that the pickup tube would run dry for a split second and that would give me bearing issues. Has anyone else ran into this, and if so what did you do. They are advising they extend the pickup tube and weld a baffle in the oil pan. They are also looking to see if a different LSx oil pan or pickup tube would eliminate this problem.

The motor is a 6.0 iron block, LS1 oil pan and pickup tube. Going in a 4th gen.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I guess they are going to just extend the pickup tube and weld a baffle in the oil pan. So im the only person who has ran into this?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of pan are you using? It should already have a bolt in baffle.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

The pan is the stock LS1 pan. I talked to them more about it this afternoon. They said that its only an issue because im shooting for low 9's. They are going to charge me only about 200 to do it so its worth that much for peace of mind. Im still curious if anyone else has ran into this and what they did. Definitely gives me a ton of confidence in the guys at the engine shop knowing that they catch little details like that. Makes me glad i didn't buy an "off the shelf" 408 or the like.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Low 9's on a wet sump/stock pan engine is risky at best, but they are doing the right thing for you moving the pick-up back in the pan and adding a braking trap. The Moroso pan moves the PU back and adds volume, but I don't know the price.

Kurt
Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

I think all the aftermarket pans are upwards of 600+. I would then also have to remote mount the filter too i think. They know that i was originally trying to make this a budget build (though its nickle and diming me to death) so 200 for the mods im happy with.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you compare 200 to the price of a new engine, it becomes dirt cheap and worth every penny.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

For sure.

I was never doubting that it needed done, i was just curious if there was maybe a different factory pickup tube or something that people used to overcome it. I have 100% confidence in the engine shop building it, as they are probably one of the best in the country.

Down the road i may try out an aftermarket pan but for now i just wana get the car together. Its been sitting for about a year and a half now so im anxious to get it done.