Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 90/90 with smaller camshafts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST 90/90 with smaller camshafts.

I am curious as to what folks experience has been with upgrading from an LS6 intake to a FAST 90/90 while using a factory ported head (TEA, Patriot or the like.) and a relatively small camshaft like a 221@.050 .558/.558. The reason I ask is that I don't want to mismatch parts as "average power" is more important to me than "peak power". I realize the power that is to be gained by using a larger camshaft with the intake but I prefer to stay with what I have at the moment and would like to keep the power range where it is for the moment. Thank you in advance for any and all useful input.

Jim C.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have helped a few people that had mild set-ups with a ported FAST and have had some very good results. A 395 RWHP set-up (with exh. manifolds, our 205's and a baby cam) that made 420 after the swap....I even helped a guy that races his car in the SI class (stock internals) and he picked up about 12 peak and almost 20 past peak (stock LS1 cam and heads). There was no loss of power anywhere with the ported set-up....the gains started from the crack of the throttle. The SI combo was flat initially (at the very begining of the pull) but started showing a positive gap in the curve as soon as the RPM's started coming up. Now an unported intake may show a slight loss of bottom end power (typical) but still show you more as the RPM's start approaching peak power.

I would say in your situation a stock FAST swap is worth about 8-10 and a properly ported version about twice that. Significant gains considering you havn't added to your current cam timing to get there and the bottom portion of your power curve (and idle quality) would remain exactly the same....

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge....feel free to contact me in the event your considering a ported set-up

Regards,
Tony
Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I have helped a few people that had mild set-ups with a ported FAST and have had some very good results. A 395 RWHP set-up (with exh. manifolds, our 205's and a baby cam) that made 420 after the swap....I even helped a guy that races his car in the SI class (stock internals) and he picked up about 12 peak and almost 20 past peak (stock LS1 cam and heads). There was no loss of power anywhere with the ported set-up....the gains started from the crack of the throttle. The SI combo was flat initially (at the very begining of the pull) but started showing a positive gap in the curve as soon as the RPM's started coming up. Now an unported intake may show a slight loss of bottom end power (typical) but still show you more as the RPM's start approaching peak power.

I would say in your situation a stock FAST swap is worth about 8-10 and a properly ported version about twice that. Significant gains considering you havn't added to your current cam timing to get there and the bottom portion of your power curve (and idle quality) would remain exactly the same....

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge....feel free to contact me in the event your considering a ported set-up

Regards,
Tony
I'm pretty sure you wont get any better advice then that! I'd do the swap...
Old 07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Tony. With the fast you get better airflow throught out the whole RPM range. There's no way you'd lose power going from a LS6 to a FAST (with proper installation of course).
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks all and particularly Tony. BTW, how much are the ported units with a TB going for? Thank you agian for your time.

Jim C.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Geek
Thanks all and particularly Tony. BTW, how much are the ported units with a TB going for? Thank you agian for your time.

Jim C.
Jim...

Reworking the intake is around $500 and there are a few options on the TB's.

Why dont you call or PM me for additional details.

(661)257-8124 Ext. 109

Regards,
Tony
Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM

Awesome response from Tony. I want to move up to a ported FAST 90/90 too. Not sure of the gains over my currant ported FAST 78.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tr224/112 cam TSP 5.3 heads ported fast 90/90 in an A4 I put down 417rwhp 407rwt.When i was just cammed with an ls6 intake I put down 349rwhp 350rwt.