Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody hate or have complaints with their ASA cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody hate or have complaints with their ASA cam

very much considering this cam or possibly hotcam if the ASA is to much of a bear for my DD. I know there are better grinds out there, but they can be found pretty cheap and the idea of never worrying about springs is the biggest reason for me. Have any of you been disappointed by such things as performance, drivability, surging, lousy powerband for the street, or tuning? I'd hate to deal with it stalling at every light or surging out of control and having a tuner unable to correct it. from the search I've done seems like it doesn't make a lot for peak power but has great low end torque, which sounds nice for a street driven ride.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

I sure would like to find out where any inexpensive ASA cams are hiding out and buy one. Please let me know if you hear about any for sale. Thank you Mac
Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by d james
very much considering this cam or possibly hotcam if the ASA is to much of a bear for my DD. I know there are better grinds out there, but they can be found pretty cheap and the idea of never worrying about springs is the biggest reason for me. Have any of you been disappointed by such things as performance, drivability, surging, lousy powerband for the street, or tuning? I'd hate to deal with it stalling at every light or surging out of control and having a tuner unable to correct it. from the search I've done seems like it doesn't make a lot for peak power but has great low end torque, which sounds nice for a street driven ride.
This may give you an idea of what you are looking for... http://video.ls1tech.com/search/3600...1e00a493a3.htm
http://video.ls1tech.com/search/asa/...6700dd7583.htm
http://video.ls1tech.com/search/asa/...e11ceeda5a.htm

Last edited by deeloc1; 08-14-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Everyone that I have talked to that has one loves their ASA cam. Just make sure you have a good tuner near you.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASA for the win, I love mine and its ok for a dd if you tune it well. At 600 rpm, its a mean sounding sumbitch
Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

drove mine for over a year with no tuning and still really like the cam almost 4 years later.....great torque curve.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

had min in since May of this year... i put down 372rwhp on a dynapack 5000 and 390rwhp on a dyno jet... i claim the 372 since it a more accurate dyno...

anyways, its awesome.. love it.. it needs to breath both in and out.. so make sure you have long tubes, no cats, and a 3" exhaust.. in the intake.. make sure you have a lid and an LS6 intake manifold or better...

need a good tuner as well...

to the guy who has no tuning.. how the hell are you getting it to idle? good lord mine wanted to die right away before tuning.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

I've owned both the hotcam and ASA cam. With both cams you will experience surging below 1500 rpm even with a good tune. It seemed the hotcam produced more power at lower RPMs and pulled nicely. I currently have the ASA right now and the car pulls hard past 2500 rpms. Since the powerband kicks in at a higher RPM im thinking about putting some 373's or 410's. I also bought some 1.85 rockers for added lift but have not found anyone that has tried this combo.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

yeah thats one thing to mention.. the cam really comes on at about 2700rpms and keeps pulling well into 6500.. i only take my car to 6500 because im on the stock 98 block (which has the weaker rod bolts) and i have 115k miles.. i would like to do the FAST 90/90.. but i think i'll hold on for that project until i get some Patriot heads to take full advantage of this cam..
Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

I can't remember who it was but some member put 1.85's on his ASA cammed car and only picked up like 5rwhp.. not worth it IMO. If you think about it, it makes sense because the only thing you really gain going to 1.85's is a little peak lift, about .030 I think? Valve events stay the same your just speeding up the valve a little to cover the extra distance which could cause valve float. I looked at doing this shortly after putting in my cam but decided against it....better to spend that money on a cam with more lift than spend it on rockers + if you change to a higher lift cam later on you may not be able to use the 1.85's for previously stated reasons.....
Old 08-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys, I'm very surprised that there are no negative comments. The only negative is having 1500 rpm surging, which I can handle.
Looks like its luck of the draw on getting it to idle without tune-even from the search I did, it seems some had no problems while others would stall out.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vidal77boxing
I've owned both the hotcam and ASA cam. With both cams you will experience surging below 1500 rpm even with a good tune. It seemed the hotcam produced more power at lower RPMs and pulled nicely. I currently have the ASA right now and the car pulls hard past 2500 rpms. Since the powerband kicks in at a higher RPM im thinking about putting some 373's or 410's. I also bought some 1.85 rockers for added lift but have not found anyone that has tried this combo.
Ugh -yes get some 4.10's for that car, I couldn't imagine having stock gears again even with the stock cam. IMO The car was a dog with the 3.42's, just didn't seem suited with these engines. I wouldn't get 3.73's unless you can't hook up, those 4.10's are a blast and haven't changed drivability at all except to make it better.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Launching!

thanks for the links Its nice to hear that thng, and it doesn't sound to overly aggressive
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

there is also a video on there off my SS racing a modded WRX i think it's on the back page if you search for ASA...

and yes I agree with the 4.10 gears comments, very helpful with this cam, but you better learn to shift like the wind in an M6 because it pulls through the gears so fast, you can really hear me "granny" shifting my car in that vid....
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys since there are no complaints, let me be the first!
My complaint with the ASA cam is that I just had to go spend more money on a LS7 clutch because the LS6 wont handle the power! LOL!
Ok ok, so its not a real complaint! Seriously though, I really like mine. Pulls hard, sounds awesome, and made lots of power (392rwhp 373rwtq).
Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
Ok guys since there are no complaints, let me be the first!
My complaint with the ASA cam is that I just had to go spend more money on a LS7 clutch because the LS6 wont handle the power! LOL!
Ok ok, so its not a real complaint! Seriously though, I really like mine. Pulls hard, sounds awesome, and made lots of power (392rwhp 373rwtq).
Its funny you mention this because I was thinking about staying away from a cam just for this reason. My car is getting up there in miles where sooner than later I too will need to travel the path of a new clutch. I suppose its gonna happen regardless of cam or not, so I figure I might as well jump in.
I really thought ther would be more complaints-seems most people stay away from this cam, but doesn't sound to bad. Is that LS7 clutch a direct replacement?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vidal77boxing
Since you've had both GM grinds, are you glad you upgraded to the ASA, or do you miss that extra low end that the hotcam had? I thought about going the hotcam route, but I figure I'll just want more power eventually and then have to switch to the ASA at some point, so might as well go with the big boy ASA and save myself some money.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

I wish the ASA had more lift. .525 is kinda low for 1.7's

If you do though, and then you want some heads.. don't bother looking at the .550 and .600 flow numbers.. because you'll never use them.

I'm also not 100% sure what lobes are used, but they do sound a little lazy on the ramp speed. They were made they way they were because they were lift restricted in the class they used it for. If they are lazier than an Xe-r or even an xe lobe.. you will not only be reducing max lift, you'll be reducing the time spent open at mid-lifts where you are really making power.

But if you are not changing springs on the heads.. then yes, it will be a GREAT cam for you! If you are, may as well get the same grind on Xe-r lobes.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by d james
Its funny you mention this because I was thinking about staying away from a cam just for this reason. My car is getting up there in miles where sooner than later I too will need to travel the path of a new clutch. I suppose its gonna happen regardless of cam or not, so I figure I might as well jump in.
I really thought ther would be more complaints-seems most people stay away from this cam, but doesn't sound to bad. Is that LS7 clutch a direct replacement?
Yeah, doesnt really matter what cam you get, eventually the LS6 will slip (especially if you got lots of miles on it already). The LS7 is a direct replacement and theres a lot of guys running it on their cars. I'm gonna pair mine up with a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and see how it performs!

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
I wish the ASA had more lift. .525 is kinda low for 1.7's

If you do though, and then you want some heads.. don't bother looking at the .550 and .600 flow numbers.. because you'll never use them.
Yeah, if your looking for heads to go with the ASA it would be the GMPP LS6 heads.(CLICK HERE) They flow over 290cfm @.500. This head cam combo was designed for (or based off of) the ASA engines.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was alot of design that went into that cam. And what your buying is the cam the chevy engineers came up with to kick some *** on the ASA circuit. There ARE better cams out there. With all these new lobe profiles Comp. and everbody else are using now a day. XERs, LSKs and who knows whats in the future. But Chevy don't make no **** so the ASA can hold its own.

Quick Reply: anybody hate or have complaints with their ASA cam