Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spohn Solid Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spohn Solid Motor Mounts?

Hey guys, im about to order a set of Spohn solid motor mounts for my LS1... Wondering what, if any, problems i may run into as far as installation and opperation. Let me know, i gotta order em soon! Stock mounts are toast and i cant find any poly mounts.... Thanks! Shoot me an email or reply here... either way.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:10 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Spohn Solid Motor Mounts?

I just put mine on the k-member a few weeks back. I'll be dropping the motor in tomorrow. They are a nice quality piece and all of the holes line up perfectly so far.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

If poly mounts are still an option for you, then definitely check out the Prothane mounts. Thunder Racing carries them and IMO they're awesome.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info.. ill look into those poly mounts... any other opinions on the spohn solid mounts?
Old 05-25-2003, 12:46 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just put them in. They fit on my ARE K-member like a glove. Almost made me think both pieces were made by the same guy. The holes line up to the K-member perfectly as well as the block. Word of advice, leave every bolt loose until you get everything in (including the trans if that's out of the car). Other than that, it worked out great.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Wont going with solid mounts, give you more KR? I was told that once, is it true?
Old 05-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Wont going with solid mounts, give you more KR? I was told that once, is it true?

Solid mounts are going to be more succeptable to vibration of ANY kind. I've heard a few people complain of KR and attribute it to the solid mounts, I don't know if that was necessarily a good call.. I can assure you though, that you WILL get vibration transferred through the car with solid mounts for the engine and tranny... You pick up a lot of road noise.. buzzing, vibrating, rattling, etc.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I went with poly and it still was not stiff enough for me.....I'm probubly going to go back and do solid in the not too distant future.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

What is the added benefit you are going to get from solid motor mounts? The motor will torque over slightly less, but unless you are class racing and are maxxed out in every other category this is negligible.

With solid motor mounts you *will* experience a tremendous increase in transmitted vibrations, and most every bolt that isn't lock-tite'd down will convienently remove itself so you can apply locktite to it

Old 05-26-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm w/ ChrisB here... solid mounts are overkill in all but the most SERIOUS situations, IMO.

For me, the only reason for going to even poly motor mounts is to prevent/reduce Y-pipe/header banging. That being said, I just got a set of poly mounts put in mine... but since it has no exhaust on it (LOVE those open headers...), I can't tell how much of the rumbling and shaking is due to the motor mounts, and how much is due to the exhaust dumping right underneath me...
Old 05-27-2003, 06:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ran Spohn mounts all last season and into this season and not one bolt has backed out. They did make a difference in the way that the car launches. I guess I am the extreme case where they helped.

Quick Reply: Spohn Solid Motor Mounts?