Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firt start with ms4 and open headers....vid inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Firt start with ms4 and open headers....vid inside

Car has been up and running beautifully this past week. Did the tuning myself with a buddy of mine that has experience in tuning, just not with lsx engines. You would be AMAZED of how far the VE tables are off with the stock settings. I really don't know how I was able to drive it for a week before tuning it. Anyways here's the vid

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...ad01693ced.htm

Car has lid w/ k and n filter, ls6 intake manifold, p and p tb, slp longtubes, 3" true duals with magnaflows and x pipe, ms4 cam, prc dual springs, chromoly pushrods, and 3500 stall.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still dont understand why people are putting cams like these in basically stock motors...

-good luck with your setup.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds pretty nice, I can't wait to be able to do a cam swap!!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I still dont understand why people are putting cams like these in basically stock motors...

-good luck with your setup.
Have you had this particular cam in a stock motor? I don't wanna say it drives like stock.....cause it doesn't. But, after our tune, which is spot on, part throttle is no different than stock except it takes less gas to get going, lol. Obviously wot and idle are not like stock. But basically if you wanna compare it to stock it idles higher, and you have the audible lope of course and that's just about it, no shaking or vibrating like when she wasn't tuned. And seriously......the comments about the "VTEC" feel need to stop. Maybe it's cause I have a stall, but this thing just straight out pulls to redline. Doesn't "feel like a dog" under 4000 rpms, and doesn't all of a sudden gain mad power at 5000 rpms like people say. It just straight out pulls.

But....if you didn't understand why, you should of asked. I wanted to do a cam swap and was thinking of something along a 224. Well this car is not my DD and I have othere plans. A set of AFR's, rebuilt stroker with forged rods and pistons, and a nice shot of the juice are going to come a long. So, I figured why not get the cam I will probably use with the heads I will be getting. Obviously I didn't have the 3 grand to throw at her now, but basically I was looking for more power, experience in the install, and being able to reuse the cam I was gonna buy. That's the reason for the 3" exhaust. I know that my exhaust is way to big for what I have now, but will be just right for what I will be doing. I figured it wouldn't be hurting me at wot, and didn't feel like buying exhaust stuff twice, so I went ahead and did 3" right away.

Last edited by black00ssFL; 09-19-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

that makes more since... sounds like you are headed in the right direction then...

people putting these cams in a car with a liid and catback and driving them untuned for 6 months kill me though LOL...

I personally wouldnt put this cam in anything less than 400ci. with good heads and intake at that. Its a nice choice for something like that... What LSA did you have it cut on? you said something about spraying it eventually.

the reason I do believe in the VTEC LS1's is because I have driven friends cars that are about as "cam only" as you can get... stock exhaust with a catback, stock lid, and MS4, the other with a T-rex... it feels like a turbo coming into boost LOL. if you have the right combo though, the power will come in smoother, and way more broad. making the car feel stronger all over as you said... I wasnt taking a shot at you or your car, sorry if it came across like that, but there's not enough research going on in the world of building high performance cars with aftermarket parts... its all about how evertthing's matched.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Researched about 6 months deciding on what I wanted to do with the car in the long run and what cam to go with. It's 111+1 LSA. I've almost thought of going 408 with a procharger with this cam, but have heard mixed things having a blower on a cam like this.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I have heard of people leaking boost with those MS cams..
Old 09-19-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats with the install, i installed my MS3 and ran it for the first time with open headers as well. Did you install another oil pump as well? If you did, did you stay staring at the oil pressure gauge till it jumped up? That was probably the longest few seconds i ever had in my life, i thought the needle was never going to move.
-Joel
Old 09-19-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also installed ported LS6 oil pump. Pulled the ignition and fuel pump relays and would hold the ignition for 5 seconds....stop for 20....hold for 5.....etc. Did that before we filmed and got the oil pressure up. Saw the needle move within the first second i started it. But I was watching that needle like a hawk the whole time it was running .
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

LMAO! Same here, i was couldn't care less about anything else. As long as the gauge moved up and stayed normal i was happy.
-Joel