Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T3, PRC 2.5 5.3l's, cometic .040 , should i expect PTV contact

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T3, PRC 2.5 5.3l's, cometic .040 , should i expect PTV contact

i got my cam in and my heads on. I turned the engine over about 5 times and no contact. Ive also broken it in and driven it several times up to around 6400rpms with no issues. being that im using the thinner headgasket should i expect any issues with PTV contact in the future?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what cam are you running ? if the ptv is really close it may not contact right now but with slight valve float or an accidental 7k on the tach may be disaster.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What cam, do you mean the V3 from TSP? Are the heads milled?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

I suspect it is pretty close. Did you have the heads milled at all over what TSP normally does just to clean them up. I wish you would have measured it before hand, the p/v clearance on that combo would have been some nice info to know. I am going to run a very similar combo except with a 227 LSK intak lobe, but with a 110 LSA. I SHOULD have a little more clearance on the intake than your setup but i will be checking it anyway. I suspect you may have a problem if you hit the wrong gear or anything like that and mechanically over rev. Are you planning to keep the shift points around 6400 or are you planning to take it a little higher once you are more comfortable with it? Lastly, how does it run, do you have any numbers yet?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Websy21
What cam, do you mean the V3 from TSP? Are the heads milled?
I ASSumed he was referring to the Torquer V3.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow trap
what cam are you running ? if the ptv is really close it may not contact right now but with slight valve float or an accidental 7k on the tach may be disaster.
If those heads came with the platinum dual springs like they should have and they are setup correctly, I suspect it would take more than 7K to cause a problem. At least I hope so. It would be nice to know what kind of clearance he has though.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

from what i remember, the biggest cam you can fit w/out ptv issues is the MS3, i could be wrong. do a search on the 5.3.

on the other hand, TSP sometimes recesses the valves when ordering the ms3 combo, maybe they did it with the T3. you should ask them.

also, as posted, did you mill the heads after you got them from tsp?

finally, one should always check for ptv just to make sure. as an example, i changed cams to a bigger one, and it rotated fine. i must have rotated it 10 times. but, when i checked, i had .050" ptv. too close for comfort. so, i flycut .050. btw, i have the 5.3 stg 2.5, 2.02/1.575 on .040 cometic gaskets, and milled to 59cc.

if i were you, i would contact tsp, if that's who you got the package from, and find out.

hope this helps, and good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jegten
from what i remember, the biggest cam you can fit w/out ptv issues is the MS3, i could be wrong. do a search on the 5.3.

on the other hand, TSP sometimes recesses the valves when ordering the ms3 combo, maybe they did it with the T3. you should ask them.

also, as posted, did you mill the heads after you got them from tsp?

finally, one should always check for ptv just to make sure. as an example, i changed cams to a bigger one, and it rotated fine. i must have rotated it 10 times. but, when i checked, i had .050" ptv. too close for comfort. so, i flycut .050. btw, i have the 5.3 stg 2.5, 2.02/1.575 on .040 cometic gaskets, and milled to 59cc.

if i were you, i would contact tsp, if that's who you got the package from, and find out.

hope this helps, and good luck.
I think the MS3/MS4's will only clear with the stock .054 head gaskets, at least that was my understanding.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow trap
first sorry it took so long to reply, ive been asleep all day from workin all night. right now im runnin the Torquer 3
Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
I suspect it is pretty close. Did you have the heads milled at all over what TSP normally does just to clean them up. I wish you would have measured it before hand, the p/v clearance on that combo would have been some nice info to know. I am going to run a very similar combo except with a 227 LSK intak lobe, but with a 110 LSA. I SHOULD have a little more clearance on the intake than your setup but i will be checking it anyway. I suspect you may have a problem if you hit the wrong gear or anything like that and mechanically over rev. Are you planning to keep the shift points around 6400 or are you planning to take it a little higher once you are more comfortable with it? Lastly, how does it run, do you have any numbers yet?
the heads are not milled at all, the guy from tsp said i should run a thinner gasket but didnt say anything about flycutting which is why i assumed id be ok. I am running race lifters so i can rev up to 6500 or higher if i wanted to, i havent had a chance to schedule some dyno tuning but even untuned it pulls hard
Old 10-19-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
If those heads came with the platinum dual springs like they should have and they are setup correctly, I suspect it would take more than 7K to cause a problem. At least I hope so. It would be nice to know what kind of clearance he has though.
yeah they came with the dual springs so it can take the big lift and higher RPMs
Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

i setup one small block with 27thou piston to head + up to 9000 rpms no worrys
when the heads were removed the flycut areas were shiny like the valve gave the pistons a massage(soo close!)there was nothing wrong with that engine but the owner freaked out. i guess i can confidently say don't run any more than 30thou piston to head.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think you may be asking for trouble.It is probably really damn close and in my opinion it should have been checked without a doubt.Not checking because the guys at tsp didnt mention flycutting is just not smart in my opinion..You may end up being alright but I know with a torquer 2 and a cometic .040 with those heads is going to be really on the line close.With the T3 and the more aggresive ramp rates it is just asking for trouble..DONT miss a single shift and you may get by.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtail2426
i think you may be asking for trouble.It is probably really damn close and in my opinion it should have been checked without a doubt.Not checking because the guys at tsp didnt mention flycutting is just not smart in my opinion..You may end up being alright but I know with a torquer 2 and a cometic .040 with those heads is going to be really on the line close.With the T3 and the more aggresive ramp rates it is just asking for trouble..DONT miss a single shift and you may get by.
being that i went with the smaller valves shouldnt that have given me more room to play with?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

with the stock 2.0 valve it would be cutting it close,but you have the 2.02 which is just going to be really damn close.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

what i would do is pull and valve cover and put a couple checker springs on one cylinder and turn the motor over by hand,And as you rotate the motor push the valves down and put a dial indicator on it to see how much clearance you have..You need .080 on the intake and .110 on the exhaust.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtail2426
what i would do is pull and valve cover and put a couple checker springs on one cylinder and turn the motor over by hand,And as you rotate the motor push the valves down and put a dial indicator on it to see how much clearance you have..You need .080 on the intake and .110 on the exhaust.

best response yet.

my solution was to tear it down and clay ti, but thats alot of work.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oz304
i setup one small block with 27thou piston to head + up to 9000 rpms no worrys
when the heads were removed the flycut areas were shiny like the valve gave the pistons a massage(soo close!)there was nothing wrong with that engine but the owner freaked out. i guess i can confidently say don't run any more than 30thou piston to head.
I hope this was with a solid lifter... The problem with Hydraulics is they are just not that stable. A solid lifter with a lot of spring can be run tighter.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

ugh i dont wanna tear it back down again already and replace the HG
Old 10-21-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you take my suggestion above you only need to pull a valve cover and a couple valve springs,no pulling of heads necessary.

Quick Reply: T3, PRC 2.5 5.3l's, cometic .040 , should i expect PTV contact