Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory power steering fluid heater

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory power steering fluid heater

I changed my power steering pump recently because it was whinning like a pig. The PS fluid is circulated through a heat exchanger located in the factory radiator hose!!!!

Now which GM engineer is responsible for this dopey idea?

I think the heater is responsible for allowing GM to sell many more replacement power steering pumps...Hey, they got me, right!

Consequently, I hope GM gave that dude a good raise!

Has anyone disconnected this bad boy; what about a cheapie trans cooler to cool not heat the fluid?
Old 06-12-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Factory power steering fluid heater

I thought that was the power steering cooler?
Old 06-12-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is indeed to cool the fluid. I had the same problem with a whinning pump and had it changed under warranty. Now its all good.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That IS a PS cooler... have you ever spoken to anyone who road races/auto-X's their F-body?? Talk of boiling the power steering fluid is not all that uncommon. Seems to me that the only reason for that is because the PS fluid exceeds its recommended operational temperature.

I have spoken with several of the gentlemen who have had this problem, and then went back and installed the factory PS cooler (it was an option)... and had a reduction in the severity of the problem. Apparently, out of a group of them, one guy had an air-based PS cooler (like you're talking about, a small trans cooler) and another had the factory PS cooler (in the radiator hose). After a 20 minute lapping session, they used an infrared pyrometer to take PS fluid temps, and what do you know?? The car with the factory PS cooler had lower PS fluid temps. Seems to me that it works like it's supposed to.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

LMFAO!

PS Heater...LOL, thats Great, a classic LS1tech quote!
Old 06-13-2003, 07:03 AM
dug
Banned

Yeah when I saw it I was like wtf? Looks like it would be better for warming up the fluid on cold day in Alaska than cooling it.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

OK, well this did cross my mind, however, if it is actually designed to be a cooler then it is not every effective since LOTS of PS pumps are burning up...

...my tires are wide but they came with the car....
Old 06-13-2003, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

My stock "engine coolant heater" has been working fine for years now! Although if they removed those pesky fans I'm sure it would work even better!!!

I'm sorry Rob, I couldn't resist!!!

Tommy
Old 06-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Launching!

that was some good stuff.... I'm adding this thread to my favorites.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:40 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The p/s pumps die all by themselves - cooler or not A stock automatic trans cooler works the same way ..
Old 06-13-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

KP:
Yeh thats right (sort of); I forgot about that. The auto trans fluid is pumped through a separate chamber in the radiator, so it is really not the same, however (right?)... Anyone who has pink trans fluid and slipping clutches can tell you that oil and water do not mix...

This factory PS rig looks like it heats/cools the fluid to the same temperature as the water/antifreeze.

I may be all WET (no pun intended) on this one since I have seen trannies burn up when the engine overheats...i guess this would indicate the trans coolers are really designed to heat/cool the fluid to the same temp as the water...

Anyone an expert here?
Old 06-13-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh by the way; I own a T56 (M6) so it is not an issue for me but if my LS1 car had an auto, I would surely install an aftermarket air cooler for my trans fluid...these things really work and high temps are the #1 killer of auto trannies....
Old 06-13-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

If you want to see hot PS fluid, take the "heater" off, drive around, and check the temp

The PS cooler will work as a heater when everything is cold (morning start up) due to the engine heating up faster than the PS system ( this is a good thing...the PS will opperate better).

After a little driving, the PS will start to heat up beyond the engine temp and at that point the cooler now starts trying to pull the PS fluid DOWN TO the temp of the engine (ex: my engine always stays between 170 and 185 depending on load). Since water is a really good conductor of heat, the factory cooler will drop the temp more than an air cooler.

If you really want to make the PS system run cool, put the factory cooler on AND put a air-liquid cooler (Auto tranny cooler) inline (air-liquid first to take cooling load off the engine radiator).

Another thing that helps (I did this) is to relocate the PS resavuar off the pump like is done with the Vortech SCs and put it somewhere in the air stream. This will get the tank/fluid off the hot pump/cylinder head and it also turns the tank into a cooler (of sorts).
Old 06-19-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeh, I think I will buy an add-on air cooler....I would hate to have to buy a third PS pump! ...GM strikes again!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to buy something that will really help the PS pump to last longer, get an underdrive pulley. The stock setup spins the the pump too fast especially if you like to rev your engine a lot (like me )
Old 06-20-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

The '99s didn't come with that factory cooler, and I boiled my pump over during my first AutoX. I've since installed an 18" rail cooler behind the scrape sensor, and cut a few air ducts into the scrape sensor so air can get to the cooler. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

My 1999 Camaro came with a PS cooler/heater and it burned up too...32K miles....

mine never boiled over but the fluid did smell burned ...i replaced the fluid a few times and it stopped sqeeling for awile but eventuially it got worse...

Quick Reply: Factory power steering fluid heater