Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to do cam, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to do cam, what to expect?

I am looking at going with a cam... right now im just a catback and intake(cold air, not manifold) Z06... its a 2001.

i plan on doing headers soon as well as ordering my tuning software to get everything right. i will do the cam very shortly after that. i want to go with the MS3, or something equally as nasty sounding i am almost 100% convinced to get this one. the car is NOT my daily driver, i dont care about how it idles as long as i tune it right it should be ok.

question is, how much RWHP should i be looking for with longtubes, no cats, tune and this cam? of course supporting valvetrain mods will be done also. i will be using my stock 243 heads though, i dont have enough and really dont want to change them. my personal goal is 430rwhp once done. i can live with 420 though.

are there any other bolt ons i need? no, fast 90 is NOT a bolt on... its damn near the price of heads.

ive got 42k miles, do i need to do a new oil pump or will my stock LS6 work ok? i would rather not get a ported one if i can help it. also, do i have to get a new timing chain, or should mine be ok? i have no problems with getting an LS2, but if i dont have to...

also, is there another cam that will make big cam only numbers? i am really not interested in going with heads anytime in the near future. i see a lot of fbody numbers, but not many on Z06's.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you want cam only numbers get an ms4 or trex imo...more options for heads without flycutting with the ms3 though.

Last edited by FadedSS; 12-10-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, you're right about the FAST 90 for the most part... never thought about it in that light.

Anyways, if i'm not mistaken the T-Rex holds the cam only record for most power (or is it best ET, i can't remember). Either way, the MS4 would be a similar cam. I don't know much about the MS3. My recommendation:

---> save your money and get you a set of ported heads from Patriot (can be had for just at 1 grand) and throw you whatever cam you want in there . I'm trying to mind you budget when proposing a set of cylinder heads.

This the course i ended up taking. I started off with "I only want a cam"... but the more research i did the more i realized how better complimented my cam would be with a set of cylinder heads and, for practicality's sake, easier it would be to put everything together at once.

My. 02
Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Haha, you're right about the FAST 90 for the most part... never thought about it in that light.

Anyways, if i'm not mistaken the T-Rex holds the cam only record for most power (or is it best ET, i can't remember). Either way, the MS4 would be a similar cam. I don't know much about the MS3. My recommendation:

---> save your money and get you a set of ported heads from Patriot (can be had for just at 1 grand) and throw you whatever cam you want in there . I'm trying to mind you budget when proposing a set of cylinder heads.

This the course i ended up taking. I started off with "I only want a cam"... but the more research i did the more i realized how better complimented my cam would be with a set of cylinder heads and, for practicality's sake, easier it would be to put everything together at once.

My. 02

it would take me months to save up the amount i need for EVERYTHING vs cam/tuning and headers. cause once i go heads, im probably going to have to go clutch too... my stocker is ok for the moment, its not slipping or anything and i do not drag race, only *ahem* closed course racing from rolls.

let me ask this then: what would be a big power cam that will make even more with the addition of a good set of heads?

Flycutting is not an option here either. i will not flycut. i might as well just do a forged boost engine at that point.

also, im getting the cam installed for 200... local mechanic down in the regional section who is familiar with LSX cars. i got bills to pay, saving up 2900 in expendable cash is kinda tough, even with my salary. id be much happier with just a cam... for a while.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in my opinion, go ms3 and 5.3 heads then. if you are cam only do the trex or ms4 as previously stated. if i were you i would put in an ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel first though...
Old 12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FadedSS
in my opinion, go ms3 and 5.3 heads then. if you are cam only do the trex or ms4 as previously stated. if i were you i would put in an ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel first though...
LOL no way im going to that piece of **** ls7 clutch. its garbage. my LS6 is better then that. im going spec stage 5 or textralia, have not decided yet. i want to prolong this as long as i possibly can... another reason i dont want heads.

Assy. 2.08"/1.60"/68cc(these are the LS6 style, i do not want the 5.3's they are more expensive and have worse(if you can call it that) flow numbers across the board.)

will that have the necessary clearance for a big cam like the ms4/trex?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol sorry man i didnt realize you have a z06, i was judging by your screen name that you had a ta.

nonetheless, i dont think its necessary for you to get a new oil pump or timing chain with those miles. over all else, id recommend calling tsp and speaking with them about your objectives and plans for the car. i talked with john and ended up getting the ms4 when it was all said and done...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FadedSS
lol sorry man i didnt realize you have a z06, i was judging by your screen name that you had a ta.

nonetheless, i dont think its necessary for you to get a new oil pump or timing chain with those miles. over all else, id recommend calling tsp and speaking with them about your objectives and plans for the car. i talked with john and ended up getting the ms4 when it was all said and done...

that is a good call. i will definitely call them before i purchase just to make sure we are on track.

and yeah, sorry about the name. i joined a LONG time ago and have not changed it since... i would like to keep the 03 reg date...
Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well if it takes months to save up for all you need to do, that's a judgement call you'll have to make yourself as to whether or not it's worth it.

I'm not trying to force anything on you, it's just wise to explore all the options and take into consideration killing 2 birds with one stone.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Well if it takes months to save up for all you need to do, that's a judgement call you'll have to make yourself as to whether or not it's worth it.

I'm not trying to force anything on you, it's just wise to explore all the options and take into consideration killing 2 birds with one stone.

even if i had the money, i dont really want heads. they do not offer THAT much more hp for the money. for like 1800 installed, i can have tuning software, cam and longtubes... i would be quite happy with 420rwhp.

do you have any idea of what trap speeds guys with these cams in a Z06 are or should be running? i would like to be 123+
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

i am starting to think that even as bad *** as the trex cam is, i do not want the possibility of PTV problems... does anyone have any reccomendations on a cam that will lope like a SOB but not have near the "clearance issues" as the trex, ms3 and 4 do?

maybe something with a little bit less lift? i am not a cam guru nor do i claim to be...

i just would like a cam to get me to 420rwhp, and then down the road in a while when that gets old, put a set of good heads on there and a 100 shot.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red99ls1ta
i am starting to think that even as bad *** as the trex cam is, i do not want the possibility of PTV problems... does anyone have any reccomendations on a cam that will lope like a SOB but not have near the "clearance issues" as the trex, ms3 and 4 do?

maybe something with a little bit less lift? i am not a cam guru nor do i claim to be...

i just would like a cam to get me to 420rwhp, and then down the road in a while when that gets old, put a set of good heads on there and a 100 shot.
Dude, PTV clearance isn't the only problem you will run into with these big cams. You also have to worry about the wear and tear it puts on the motor and valvetrain. You will have more maintennace and repair costs with a big cam compared to a smaller or mid sized cam.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

also remembere rwhp #'s dont always make the fastest cars, alot of smaller cam'd cars run better making less hp b/c people did their research on parts selection matching.

it took me months to build my current configuration im running now, it took me almost 2 years to gather all the pieces, and along the way some things chaned but!!! because my goal and intentins for the car didnt i didnt make any bad buys except for an exhaust system i eneded up not liking.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

MS4 with stock 243 heads, boltons and a good tune....425rwhp through a vette drivetrain would probably be about right.

that cam typically makes 410-420rwhp on fbody drivetrains...with 241 heads. so with the better flow of the 243 heads, but the addes loss due to the IRS...figure you'll pick up a few ponies over the fbody equivalent.

there are always small things to add later that would pick up a bit of power. ported TB, electric water pump would be two.

i think you'll be right around your goal. assuming you can get the tuning right.

Kraest made something like 417rwhp in his zo6 with the F15 from futral...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

well, my goal honestly is the highest MPH i can get... i do not drag race the car, i am not a huge fan of it and the closest track is like 1 hour, the best is 1.5 hours.

also, ive thought about it... and if i can go with a "smaller" cam, and patriot stage 3 ls6 heads, i think similar results could be had... i personally just want the lope of that 110 LSA cam...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

go for it
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

i should probably mention that i REFUSE to change the gears... i love my MN12 3.42's and will not change them for anything... thinking of going with something along the lines of 231/237 595/598 112 (its a TSP cam)

i guess this is the "torquer" after checking their website?

Last edited by red99ls1ta; 12-11-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

ok, i have decided to go with the Futral F12, except with a 111+2 LSA for a nice bit of overlap/loping.

ok, changed again and went with the F13 on a 110+2. should be pretty nice sounding.

Last edited by red99ls1ta; 12-12-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

does anyone know what the powerband will look like on the 110+2 vs the 112+2 its offered on? and i am assuming it should sound much nastier... right?

this should be a fairly low end powerful cam now right? i know it has great all range power as it was, but the 110 should move the band down a bit right?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Haha, you seem to be a bit indecisive about your selection. You don't want to be fickle when it comes to something as valuable as your valvetrain. Make DARN well sure that you know this is what you want, 100% before you go through with it. I remember when i was in your EXACT position, flipping back and forth between cams ready to press that "Checkout Now" button. But i ended up backing off and researching for several more months before i pulled the trigger... be careful.

Do you have a time window as to when and only when you can work on your car? If not, i would suggest taking two steps back and do a bit more research to make SURE this is what you want.

If you do have a time frame, give TSP or Patriot a call real quick and tell them everything you told us and they will point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you man.