Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling pass. head.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pulling pass. head.

Alright, I'm pulling off the passenger head because I stripped out threads on 3 of the 4 header bolt holes. So I'm going to put helicoils on all of them. Do I need to pull of the driver side for any reason? Just curious? I know dumb question but I feel better though. Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

no there is no reason to pull off the other head.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be a good time to mill, raise your compression a little.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
Do I need to pull of the driver side for any reason?
No, just use the same type gasket the other side has and put the drivers side header on to be sure you don't strip any of those out.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I'm pulling off the passenger head because I stripped out threads on 3 of the 4 header bolt holes. So I'm going to put helicoils on all of them. Do I need to pull of the driver side for any reason? Just curious? I know dumb question but I feel better though. Thanks
there are 6 header bolts if I remember correctly. can I ask how you stripped 3 of them? also don't forget to use anti seize on the header bolts.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

k heres a good peice of advice

the rear bottom bolt on the passenger head. your going to have to pull n wiggle the bolt out with the head.

you also have ot put the head back down with the bolt already in the head hole. tricky, but doable, so dont forget cuz it wont go in or out any other way.

sounds like strcitly sex with dr drew I know
Old 12-25-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

I've been on my car for a long time and doing everything myself. So I was trying to hold up the headers and trying to put the bolts in. I don't know how i did 3 of them. The heads are already milled so I just need to replace the gasket. Well one thing that I've noticed is that I over torqued the rockers. So I'm going over them and settin them right. I'm just so glad it wasn't the driver side.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

the drivers side is the easy one
Old 12-25-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Don't I have to remove the pwr steering pump? Anyway it didn't take me long to remove, so I'm very glad.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been on my car for a long time and doing everything myself. So I was trying to hold up the headers and trying to put the bolts in. I don't know how i did 3 of them. The heads are already milled so I just need to replace the gasket. Well one thing that I've noticed is that I over torqued the rockers. So I'm going over them and settin them right. I'm just so glad it wasn't the driver side.
I did the headers by myself as well. In fact I took them off again when I did heads/cam by myself in October. To avoid cross threading use antiseize on the header bolts (it's a good lube and prevents galling) and thread them in by hand, no wrench or socket. I also do the trick of putting the very front and rear header bolts in first, then cut the bottom of the header gasket on the front and rear bolt holes so the gasket will slip in from the top. Once two header bolts are in the rest go without much trouble.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I did the headers by myself as well. In fact I took them off again when I did heads/cam by myself in October. To avoid cross threading use antiseize on the header bolts (it's a good lube and prevents galling) and thread them in by hand, no wrench or socket. I also do the trick of putting the very front and rear header bolts in first, then cut the bottom of the header gasket on the front and rear bolt holes so the gasket will slip in from the top. Once two header bolts are in the rest go without much trouble.
Yeah it's lot easier to put the front and back on first. I just firgured that out before I pulled off the head.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
k heres a good peice of advice

the rear bottom bolt on the passenger head. your going to have to pull n wiggle the bolt out with the head.

you also have ot put the head back down with the bolt already in the head hole. tricky, but doable, so dont forget cuz it wont go in or out any other way.

sounds like strcitly sex with dr drew I know
I'm not sure why you had to do this ..... mine all came out with no problems . I guess what ever it takes to get the job done .
Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was trying to hold up the headers and trying to put the bolts in.
The easy way to install headers without a helper is to first install two temporary studs. Then slip the gasket and header over the studs and they will hang there while you install the bolts. Once you have two bolts in place you can remove the studs.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I always did the rear header bolt first then id put the gasket on, put the front bolt in. from there id take the back bolt out, slip the gasket down and put the bolt back in. thread them all in by hand and tighten from the center outwards