Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burns oil and smokes, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burns oil and smokes, where to start?

It seems like i've been dealing with this problem for almost a year, and now i don't know where to go with it.
I did heads, cam, intake late fall '06. Then early spring last year my car starts to smoke, i get a new block, but it ends up being a cracked head, its throwing oil into one of the exhaust valves. So i get the heads replaced.
A couple months later, the car starts to smoke again, this time both the heads are cracked. So i got them replaced last month. This time i know the heads are good, but its still smoking and burning oil. It actually spits out oil through the exhaust. But it doesn't do it right at startup, it starts spittin a minute or two after its been running.
So i know the heads are good, brand new block, brand new valve seals. Where would i look next? I'm trying to get this thing fixed as soon as possible so i can sell it and buy something else i found.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

are you using the same valve seals in the heads? if you just changed them over they could be leaking if not seated properly.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

what about the rings? im having a similar deal, but i have a high mileage motor with spray, so i just thought the rings were shot.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

The whole shortblock is brand new, bought it complete from TSP. And the valve seals are brand new, not just swapped over.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

what has TSP said? how many miles on the motor. you could do a compression check.......
Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy had a similar prob with his car after ls1speed. sent his car back......they came down from chicago and trailered the car back to the shop from indianapolis, in and fixed the prob......i think i remember he said it was in the tune or something.....running too rich??? not sure.....ran perfect with no smoke after they sent it back
Old 01-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Restricted User

If it is spitting oil out the back then I doubt it is the tune. Did you use black permatex on the intake rocker bolts? Oil gets sucked down them and right into the intake runner. Pull teh intake and look into the port and see any oil is in there.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spitting oil out the tail pipe means a major problem. I would just guess the stuff being sent out the pipe is moisture and a super rich condition. Are you throwing any codes?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Are you running cats?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I need to try and call Texas Speed and see if they have anything to say. I didn't put the car together so i don't know about the permatex. And car isn't throwing any codes, nor does it have cats.

Somebody mentioned to me that maybe the valve guides were shot and oil was shooting down through there, but i'm not sure if they were new or not.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

i have that problem too, im assuming mine is the rings, i changed my valve seals but it didn't help. My oil is black as the night itself and on WOT it will smoke like a sonofabitch. I dont want to pull the engine but im setting up plans to do it already because i didn't put the car together myself. And last time i took it out i have some ridiculous noises coming from the passenger side and it backfires now, so its been parked for a while.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How in the hell did you crack THREE heads? With as many problems as you've had, i'd have to say its something you or your mechanic is doing. And its even worse that you just throw parts at it hoping to fix it, without actually finding the root problem.

With this kind of haphazard assembly going on, anything could be wrong. Just by reading the thread title, I was going to say rings. But after reading your post, and seeing that its a tsp shortblock, I dont think thats your problem.

Was it overheated? Im still trying to figure out how you've cracked that many heads

Maybe something to do with the PCV system? Valve guides/seals could be bad too, because poor assembly...

Last edited by LivingCanvas; 01-06-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

as mentioned earlier valve guides is a possibility, if thats the case though then i would think the valve seals would be bad as well. also someone mentioned you could be running really rich,just wondering wether the smoke out the tail pipe was blue or black? but im leaning towards worn valve guides maybe even worn valve seats.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

starting a new motor overly rich it could kill your rings.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

what color is the smoke?are you sure it's oil coming out the exhaust pipe.It would have to be using a major amount of oil to go unburnt and make it out to the end of the exhaust.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

when you replaced the motor and heads did you think of relacing your exhaust system.. or atleast cleaning it out? that could be oil still left in there from the old setup..
Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does nobody else wonder how he cracked three heads??? And why does he continually have these problems? There is something bigger going on here.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah but both the times they were cracked in different places. The first time the crack was inside one of the exhaust ports. The second time, both heads were cracked on the top of the valves where tsp had welded them.

The smoke that comes out is white, and its definitely oil coming out the tailpipes, not just condensation. I can tell you for sure this is not leftover oil in the exhaust. You would almost have to see it to believe it. Oh, and i have never overheated the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

the smoke is white or blue cause white smoke sure aint oil it water homie. and how in the world do u keep cracking heads i can understand 1 or a longshot at 2 but 3 what r u doing to it?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah but heads dont just crack randomly like that.... Seems weird...

White smoke is usually an indication of a head gasket. The stuff coming out of the tail pipe could be the condensation mixing with the black soot in the pipes. Very possible its oil with it though, if its a head gasket

Hows the car run?

Seems like something is up with the assembley here. And likely NOT something with TSP's assembly.

There's really no reason a new short block and new heads should be doing this unless they werent put together right. Meaning improper torque on fasteners, improper cleaning of gasket surfaces, or improper cleaning of the head bolt holes, ect. The head bolt hole cleaning process is VERY important, and if not done correctly can lead to a cracked block, because the head bolts are blind tapped, although with a new block it shouldnt really be the problem

This is a tough one to diagnose wothout actually being there, but like I said, new heads and new shortblock from a reputable builder shouldnt act like this. The fact that this same problem keeps popping up leads me to believe its something you or your mechanic arent doing right, or carefully enough. No offence meant but you see what im getting at here?

That being said, start with the simple/easy stuff and work your way up from there. So maybe start with checking your vavle guides ect.