Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this headbolt important?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this headbolt important?

The short headbolt on the end of the head will not tq down more than 30ftlbs. Its actually an ARP stud but you get the point. I did the GM thread repair kit and it just wants to pull the thread insert back up. It just does not have enough bite it seems like. I call TSP and they tell me that because im not running a high compression setup and not spraying but more than a 100 shot I should be okay w/o tq'ing that nut down on the stud all the way. I really dont want to just leave it like it is and cross my fingers but then again they build alot of stuff. Then the question is what can I do next? Does helicoil make something that works on our LSX motors? Its just a shallow hole so something really long is not needed. At this point I really just want to find a way to bolt something down and have it tq'ed to atleast 70ftlbs like the rest. Whats your guys input?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

i used a helicoil on my rocker bolt seems to hold up fine. i havent had to use one on a head bolt. i would think its important to have it tight though.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to fix it, you will end up leaking over time. While its apart, correct it. Is the insert sliding out when you load it?

You could contact ARP, you may be able to get a larger stud but it will need to be necked to attain the correct stretch but you need to explain the situation to their lead tech guy, not the people who just answer the phone as they will likely need to run a few calcs to sort out what to do. I would not personally re-assemble with this condition. There are also other inserts you can get such as a Keensert, you might look into those but they require a larger hole for installation.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a good local machine shop (does not need to be car shop) have them drill and tap the block to a bigger size, like 9/16 13. Then buy a 2 inch long 9/16 bolt and cut the head off. Loctite whats left in so it is below deck, then drill and tap the bolt for the stock 11mm head thread. You will not pull this repair.

Kurt
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to fix it, period. Did you use the GM recommended Timesert kit? If done correctly, the Timesert repair is very robust and usually problem free. You may want to try another Timesert.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.mcmaster.com they have just about every thing you need for this situation. You might be able to find what you need at a machine shop for a better price though.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You need to fix it, you will end up leaking over time. While its apart, correct it. Is the insert sliding out when you load it?

You could contact ARP, you may be able to get a larger stud but it will need to be necked to attain the correct stretch but you need to explain the situation to their lead tech guy, not the people who just answer the phone as they will likely need to run a few calcs to sort out what to do. I would not personally re-assemble with this condition. There are also other inserts you can get such as a Keensert, you might look into those but they require a larger hole for installation.
Thats exactly what I need. Ill look into that.

I did use the gm timesert kit, correctly. I have done this before so it was not my first time. It will just breaked the thread insert in half after putting around 50ftlbs of tq on it. I DO NOT want to pull the motor, its an easy hole to get to.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Heli-coil it, thats your best bet.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Timesert it (basically the commercial version of Kurt's recommendation). Northstar guys are always having to run Timeserts on head bolts because their threads are pulling out.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
11 Second Club

I called ARP today and ordered a 1/2x13 stud and im going to helicoil it. This should work and with a fresh hole the helicoil should hold.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
I called ARP today and ordered a 1/2x13 stud and im going to helicoil it. This should work and with a fresh hole the helicoil should hold.
Curious, did they recommend a different torque value on that one stud to even out the head compression on the gasket?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Curious, did they recommend a different torque value on that one stud to even out the head compression on the gasket?
No they did not, I was going to tq it 5lbs less though.