Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Best Value Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's The Best Value Cam?

I'm looking for a cam that makes good power throughout the RPM range, will run reliably without a tune for a few months, and doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg. As much as I like the TR224, I can't afford $800 for the package and another $400 for a tune.

I've been looking at the Hotcam. Would this be a good choice? I'm not too interested in the LS6 cam, as it seems to make all of it's power at the very top end of the RPM range and I don't want to have to run my car up to 6600 RPM to get optimal results.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What's The Best Value Cam?

I'd try and find the cam you really want used. If you buy a cam you don't really like just to save some money, it will haunt you forever and you will probably end up changing it out again at a later date. I've seen TR224's come up from time to time in the "for sale" section off this board. You have to be quick though, they go fast. You might want to watch for either of the hammer cams also (the C1 and C2.) Oh and BTW, with your M6 you can run any of these cams very well without an expensive tune.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:36 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine second hand off the Parts for Sale forum on this site. My thanks to Slowverado!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, they're much appreciated.

I had thought about keeping my eye out for a used cam, but even if I'm able to grab one for $250, I'd still have to pay around $350 for upgraded valvetrain components, and that would make the package $600 or so, which is $200 more than the Hotcam kit.

Josh
Old 07-14-2003, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can also find used springs and pushrods in the forsale section too
Old 07-14-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For stealth - Z06 cam

For lope - Hotcam

These are the best budget cams, plus you do not have to spend as much on the valvetrain (Z06 springs)
Old 07-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Hotcam = !stealth
Old 07-14-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

the tr220 is one that i looked at for a while. I think youd be ok without a tune as well if you are M6. i think it gives 15rwhp or so less than a 224 with all the boltons
Old 07-14-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that there is a budget cam other than the hotcam or LS6 cam. I've been trying to make my cam decision for a while too, and I keep coming back to the TR224. I'd like to spend less than the professional install & tune plus the cam & valve train upgrades, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the added cost just means I have to wait longer...
Old 07-14-2003, 09:47 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that there is a budget cam other than the hotcam or LS6 cam. I've been trying to make my cam decision for a while too, and I keep coming back to the TR224. I'd like to spend less than the professional install & tune plus the cam & valve train upgrades, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the added cost just means I have to wait longer...
Smart thinking.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:37 AM
dug
Banned

The cam you want is a tr224 cam.

As some said above a used cam is a cheap route to go. Id be wary about buying used springs. New 918's go for $160 and the work with stock retainers. You dont need hd pushrods or ti retainers. Stock pushrods should be fine and ti retainers dont save that much weight to justify the cost. Also stock rockers should be fine. If youre worried about overstressing the valvetrain, get a cam with less than .570" lift. The higher lift cams are a bit of overkill with stock heads.

Other things youll might think about buying is an oil pump and timing chain. You wont really need these either. I have heard of aftermarket pumps and chains breaking. Perhaps there were installed improperly, but it doesnt look like they guarentee better durability over stock pieces. Some of the chains that break happen when the driver mistakenly downshifts instead of upshifting when racing. So some of the stock failures arent from defect.

Anyway, all you need is about $400 for the cam and springs needed for the swap. Plus $7 for the crank bolt and $10 for a waterpump gaskets. Then the rest of costs will be for tuning. Which is worth the money.

Swapping the cam is relativly cheap if you dont go overboard with the extras.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

I went with GM's Hotcam mainly for value, since it came with springs for only $399. Plus, I really like the idea of a relatively low lift (.525) since this is my daily driver. I did not swap timing chains, or pushrods, (I already replaced my oil pump a while ago...) I love the cam. You do not have to rev your engine to the moon to get power out of this cam...

Good luck.

Tommy
Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Well said, Everclear. I had to wait a lot longer than I wanted to for my cam due to the $$ involved, but in the long run it was best because I would have bought the wrong cam last year. I changed my mind a half dozen times on which cam I was going to get as I learned more about them.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my car with the Hotcam for the first time last night, and was very satisfied. The Hotcam meets my goals for the car, as I am not building an all out drag car; and have no desire to change springs very often.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a C1 for sale. I haven't listed it in the for sale section yet. It is brand new, never installed. Was going to sell for $300. It sellS for $400+tax, etc brand new. I'll listen to resonable offers. If interested shoot me a PM. It is still wrapped inthe plastic inside the box and every thing. I can probabably get a deal on some springs and pushrods too. My buddy had bought some and then didn't use them when he bought a set of heads that already came assembled. I think they are Comp 918 blue stripes.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

I installed the Hotcam about 2 months ago and I like it alot. I drive my car DAILY and had the same concerns as stated above. I picked up 34hp and 21tq with long tubes and a LS1 intake. In the future if you want more just buy bigger springs and 1.85 roller rockers it will bring you up to around .580 lift.