Sponsored by:

New 408 offer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 408 offer

Announcing my Signature series 408

It’s been a while in the making but I have commissioned one of the finest builders in the country to produce an engine for me that will handle the abuse given out by a driver like myself. Here it is:

408 short block

Core 6.0 LS1 Block
Callies compstat 4.0 crank
Callies comstar rods
Wiseco –8 cc piston-- adjusted for application
Clevite piston rings or Speed Pro Hell fire rings—dependant on application
ACL main bearings for LSX- race bearings
ACL rod bearings for LSX- race bearings
ARP main studs for ls1
GM engine block plugs

$4292 plus shipping

MTI has released new pricing on their ported heads. We can take advantage of an excellent ported head for a great combination for a long block.

I’ve been on this board for a while and have experienced the ups and downs of modifying an fbody. I set out to have a short block built by the most respected builder I could find and have him produce and engine that I feel is the best and most durable for the money. We feel that we have done it with this short block.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-17-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice setup, does it come balanced?

Last edited by Patrick G; 04-17-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: cleaning it up.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad price, I assume it fits a GTO and Vettes as well, not just F-bodies.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Thats is correct, it will fit any ls equiped vehicle as. Yes it is fully balanced and blue printed.
Bore and hone W/TQ plates
Line Hone main bores with ARP or OEM fasteners
Set Deck w/ customer pistons and surface to correct for required quench
Balance rotating assembly installing any heavy metal if needed.
Assemble engine short block (set all clearances, gap rings, tc)

This short block is meticulously constructed by one of the finer craftman in the industry.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-17-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice parts in that build!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

We chose the piston and rings per application as it is crucial to your particuluar build. The wrong piston will yield undesirable compression and the wrong design effecting the ring pack. The rings need to be correct. Get the wrong rings and your burning oil in a new engine, which should never happen. Blow by, premature wear, all things that should not happen in a proper setup, can be caused by improper rings.

We take the time to get it right.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

So you could match the pistons to my choice of heads and Twin Snails?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned

I certainly can. For an FI application its crucial to get your compression and rings setup properly.

How ever there is no substitution for proper tuning either. Dont be fooled into thinking that just because you have your compression and rings ideal that your care free. A bad tune will ruin the most expensive and correctly built parts just as it will a block with inexpensive parts.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I certainly can. For an FI application its crucial to get your compression and rings setup properly.

How ever there is no substitution for proper tuning either. Dont be fooled into thinking that just because you have your compression and rings ideal that your care free. A bad tune will ruin the most expensive and correctly built parts just as it will a block with inexpensive parts.
No worries, my tuner is one of the best in Texas, very meticulous. I was looking at TSP's package blocks.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

Well I'm not going to put TSP down. We obviously are in competition in this one area, although I'm only offering a 408 in short block form. (but can be a long block if someone desires)

All I will say is this:

I chose this one engine to sell and only one as I believe its the best quality. Yes you can find it for less money, selling it for less was not my motive or mission when I decided to do this.

I decided to commission an engine that I could hang my hat on. I wanted a platform friendly to the wallet but solid and durable enough to handle the abuse of a drag racer on FI or N2o. I then sought out to find the most reputable builder I could. We worked out the details and what you see is our offer. He has an impeccable reputation among his peers, serious buyers will of course know who's building their engine for them.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well I'm not going to put TSP down. We obviously are in competition in this one area, although I'm only offering a 408 in short block form. (but can be a long block if someone desires)

All I will say is this:

I chose this one engine to sell and only one as I believe its the best quality. Yes you can find it for less money, selling it for less was not my motive or mission when I decided to do this.

I decided to commission an engine that I could hang my hat on. I wanted a platform friendly to the wallet but solid and durable enough to handle the abuse of a drag racer on FI or N2o. I then sought out to find the most reputable builder I could. We worked out the details and what you see is our offer. He has an impeccable reputation among his peers, serious buyers will of course know who's building their engine for them.
I was not looking at pitting you against another, no worries. How much would shipping me to 71822. TSP is a little closer to me that is why I have dealt with them in the past.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

I'll pm you with a quote,
Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Who is the engine builder??? A person who you may consider a reputable engine builder, i may not.

Not to say your "engine builder isn't one of the best" just thought everyone would like to know who is building their motor.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Banned

I tell anyone who is seriously interested, there is a reason for it. If you interested let me know and I will fill you in completely. I am respecting the builders wishes. If he has to answer constant pm's and phone calls and emails how can he attend to the build?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1itldo
Who is the engine builder??? A person who you may consider a reputable engine builder, i may not.

Not to say your "engine builder isn't one of the best" just thought everyone would like to know who is building their motor.
I would also like to know the answer of the statement above. What credentials do you have that would make your engine builder the best choice? I don't need to hear, "I've been on this site for a while" or "I have bought many products from other vendors”, everybody on this website considers themselves an expert.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

that is a good engine setup. pretty much the same setup i have but i have the dragonslayer crank. a question for the people that may be intrested in this. does it come with a cam or is that extra? i no some come with a cam some dont.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

No, it does not come with a cam, but one can be custom ground for someone

I knew there would be those who insist on wanting to know who the builder is without any real interest in the engine. The whole reason for me offering this is an easier way to get one of his engines and for him to not have to deal with this. He is recognized by his peers as the "go to guy". He does work for other shops as well and would rather not deal with this aspect of it. I am sorry if you cant respect that, there is nothing more I can say to you in that regard. If you has an interest in a 408 then you can pm me and I will tell who is building them.

Yes up-grades are certainly available as well as Eagle for crank and rods.

Callies vs Eagle is an argument that has rung through-out this board for the 3 yrs I have been here. I decided to go with Callies as a standard, it's not a knock on Eagle and you can debate it all you want.

The Clevite rings and ACL main and rod bearing were carefull selected as well.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-21-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
I would also like to know the answer of the statement above. What credentials do you have that would make your engine builder the best choice? I don't need to hear, "I've been on this site for a while" or "I have bought many products from other vendors”, everybody on this website considers themselves an expert.
This is nothing new , other shops do the very same thing. In fact, probably shops that you think build their own. The difference is I tell you who's building your engine if your buying one.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-18-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Banned

Tomorrow we will discuss the rings and their job and importance to the engine. The compression and the oil rings.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-18-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

Default The compression ring

The Compression ring.

Fairly straight forward here, its responsibility is to create a seal with the cylinder wall to maintain combustion chamber pressure.

IT also transfers up to 45% of the heat generated by the combustion process to the cylinder wall. That heat is then dealt with by the cooling system.