Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure and valvetrain noise??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure and valvetrain noise??

first i was just wondering what people are getting for oil pressure. I just fired up my 402 and i thought that the pressure would be higher, i have the slp ported pump put in the higher pressure spring, and no the o-ring is not pinched. It runs around 35-40 hot at idle. I have not been able to see what it is at higher rpm because i have a blue max tb that is sticking, (Ron at vengeance is sending a new one, great guy to deal with) I am just used to the sbc i had with a high pressure, volume pump and i had 60 psi at idle and over 90 crackin on it. Also my valvetrain is noisy as hell. I know that most are, but my stocker was quite as could be, this is almost retarted noisy. I assume it is a combination of cam, springs that make it noisy. i am running tsp ls6 heads, 7.4 hardened pushrods, stock lifters and rockers. Is there anything i can do to quiet her up?? I dont have the hood on yet and cant drive it(getting painted) to see how loud it is in the car.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know is this helps as I'm stock bottom end LS1. I have the ported SLP pump and also get 40psi on hot idle. Around 60psi from cold idle. Over 60psi hot and higher RPM's. My valve train is also noisy from when i changed the heads cam and springs.
I think what you have is pretty normal. Perhaps others can give their view too.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

any other input.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the "sewing machine" noise I would measure PR length. Bet they're a little short.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
If you have the "sewing machine" noise I would measure PR length. Bet they're a little short.
Yep , it seems that 7.400 PR's are always a little short due to the base circle on aftermarket cams being smaller . I would measure and if 7.400 are a little short I would get some 7.425 PR's .
Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noisy valve train is not "required" with a cam and springs. Get the preload right and you'll be surprised how quiet they can be.

40 PSI is plenty at idle, equally important is that it goes up with revs but you can check that later.

While you're waiting for the TB, take the time now to set the preload correctly.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

i've got same issue with noise, haven't had a chance to measure and change PR just went with the 7.4 as well

and i've got ported oil pump mine sits at the 60ish PSI and flys past 80-90 up close redline .. not sure if that is an issue with your lower, i've almost thought my oil pressure is a bit high but has held strong for a whole summer now so should be fine imo
Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

i got the heads and pushrods from tsp, when i put it together i tried to check the wipe pattern on the valve, but with stock rockers it was hard to get a good reading. They look like they are riding on the valve good. I will call tsp and see what they think
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the other guys on pushrod length. Only way the pushrods are the correct length is if the heads have been milled. You need a checker if you ever want it right.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

called tsp and i was told to check how many 1/4 turns from zero lash to get to 22 lb ft. I cant remember how many degrees of preload = 1/4 turn, but it took 4 from zero lash. I am used to older sbcs and such, zero lash then 1/4 or 1/2 turn and you are golden. My 383 had no valve train noise and it had just as aggresive a cam and afr heads with dual springs. I dont beleive that the heads have been milled they are ls6 heads 64cc chamber, and if what i read is correct that is the stock cc so other than the cam base circle, everything is how it should be from the factory. All the geometry looks good the rockers are wiping in the same place as they were before.

Quick Reply: oil pressure and valvetrain noise??