Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 T/A cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 T/A cam swap

I need some suggestions for a cam for my 99 Trans Am. I want it to sound radical, but I dont want to have to reprogram the computer. Any suggestions?????????
Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

you need a tune with any cam.....other than stock
Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any particular reason why you don't want to "reprogram the computer"? Even the stock cam could benefit from a tune. A new camshaft and a tune go hand in hand. You want it to "sound radical", you need to do both, bottom line.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Any particular reason why you don't want to "reprogram the computer"? Even the stock cam could benefit from a tune. A new camshaft and a tune go hand in hand. You want it to "sound radical", you need to do both, bottom line.
What could a custom tune do that my diablo sports predator programmer can't do? If u don't mind me asking.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The handhelds just give you a generic tune. there is nothing special about them IMO. the fuel maps that are put in the computer from them is hit or miss but the spark advance is the only true benefit from them. Cars are just like people, everyone is different. The handheld has no idea what the fuel map will do in your car. Even a custom one that is meant for a cammed car. They will have the same tune for someone that lives at the beach(sea level) and for some one that lives in Denver(mile high). That is one good example. There was just a write up in GM Hightech with them. The most any handheld gave was 13whp and I think it was a Superchips. They average was about 10whp overall though. Don't want to bash them at all, but am really bias against them. Sorry
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
What could a custom tune do that my diablo sports predator programmer can't do? If u don't mind me asking.
a lot.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Teching In

I guess I am not opposed to a tune, I just thought they were expensive and not really for a daily driver. Bottom line is that I just am not familiar with it. I am old school where you can put a cam in the older small blocks, adjust your carb and down the road you go. Give me suggestions because I dont know.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Teching In

I guess I am not opposed to a tune, I just thought they were expensive and not really for a daily driver. Bottom line is that I just am not familiar with it. I am old school where you can put a cam in the older small blocks, adjust your carb and down the road you go. Give me suggestions because I just dont know.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TO have anything that sounds, "decent" or "radical" if you will, will need some adjustmet to the computer.

This is NOT just for making power but for driveability.

Yes, you can toss a 230/236 cam in a car and be ita 6 speed, you can drive it.

But its neither safe nor fun.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Back in the day, I ran the GM Hotcam with a Hypertech, but I would probably go with the Diablo this day and time. I still think the Hotcam is a great budget choice that performs well and sounded great. Quite a few guys have been right on the 400 rwhp mark with it and all bolt ons with custom tune. A good dyno tune probably averages $500, not much more than a hand held. If you can afford it, go with a 224/228 58x/58x 112/114 cam, Patriot/PRC dual spring kit, pushrods, etc. AFR stocks the cam part number 6016, Thunder Racing, Texas Speed, Vengeance, Futral and others all have a similar version.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

**** a hand held tuner for starters. That ***** a waste of money. you'll drop as much for those as a full dyno tune. And a dyno tune is a hell of a lot better.

Your not gonna get radical without a custom tune. It's just not gonna happen unless you consider a LT, ORY & LM1 a radical sound. (I consider it ungodly nasty sounding & not in a good way)

I'm running the following set-up in my car without a tune & most the time I run 87 octane. I just make sure to purchase 100% gas & not the ethonol mix everyone is pushing. I know I'm leaving power on the table, but I have other plans in the works motor wise. So for the time being it's a waste of money to get my tune now with a motor being built.

Here is my complete current combo:

Stock 99' short block
224/224 .581/.581 114 cam
stock timing chain
stock intake (have a port/polished Lingenfelter for the new motor)
stock 5.3 heads port/polished & milled .018" w/stock size car valves by Bo White
7.400" chromemoly pushrods
stock oil pump
stock fuel system
Bo white port/polished stock TB
FelPro stock replacement head gaskets
LS7 lifters

I have been driving this set-up for almost a full calander year now without a single issue. It runs rich, but I'm still getting 18mpg average per tank, can still use my A/C while sitting in traffic on hot days & it idles perfect. Plus the only SES codes I have had pop up are for improper O2 sensor heating & random misfire, which is completely normal for a untuned cam swap. I haven't had any actual problem codes like knock sensors or anything to make me feel the motor needs attention.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

I got my dyno tune for 350 at New Era. Worth every penny. As for what cam to go with...the options are endless. Me personally, I like Futral cams.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

When i put headers on my 99, it already had a handheld tune in it. It put me to 16.3-1 Air fuel ratio becasue of that damn thing. Killed alot of power, and that is how i found out the tune was in there after i had it for about a year and a half. Remember what I said about a generic tune. Wasn't meant for my car.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Tr 224