Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need timing chain on stock LS-1 but future H/C within 2 years, help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need timing chain on stock LS-1 but future H/C within 2 years, help...

Hi Guys,

When I had the front of the motor off to change the oil pump I noticed a decent amount of slack on the passenger side of the timing chain. The car has about 49K miles on it and I would like to replace the timing chain. I have been reading through prior threads and I am still stuck.

I will be doing heads and a cam within the next two years and do not see the need in getting a new chain, so I would like to plan a little in advance.

Any suggestions? I was thinking LS2 but everyone talks about the double roller when doing a H/C set up. The oil pump I am installing is the Melling 10296 and I read about having to grind/shave down timing cover if you have the melling pump and also want to do a double roller timing chain.

Should I throw LS2 chain in now and get a fresh double roller when I do the H/C or should i just get the better chain and gear set now???
Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just grab a new LS2 timing chain & forget about it. You can even use it on stock gears if they are in good shape. If not then grab the LS2 timing chain kit which comes with new gears. Thats what I'm using to build my forged 347 which will recieve my current H/C combo. Heck I'm still on my stock timing chain right now.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Just grab a new LS2 timing chain & forget about it. You can even use it on stock gears if they are in good shape. If not then grab the LS2 timing chain kit which comes with new gears. Thats what I'm using to build my forged 347 which will recieve my current H/C combo. Heck I'm still on my stock timing chain right now.
^^^+1.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Launching!

It depends on your plans for the use of the car I think. Many people say the LS2 timing chain is fine. But where I am running a big cam, and nitrous, I want to make sure it is, so I'm running a double. A lot of people dont want to do the double because of the weight. Which I don't see being a problem. I compare the double to the stock, and it feels about the same. The gears are lighter, but the chain is heavier. So if you are just doing this to get by, I would just go with the LS2. It is cheap, and easier. Long term, I would say double. $150 and some grinding is a good price for piece of mind.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
^^^+1.
^^^^ +2
Old 07-25-2008, 06:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 84ls1_transam
A lot of people dont want to do the double because of the weight.
This is a flase statement. The main reasons people who don't opt to go double is b/c they don't want to have to shim the oil pump & modify things to get it to work. Plus LS2 chains are in some pretty stout applications without issue, so I believe they are plenty strong.

The main advantage of a double roller comes in when you need to make timing adjustments or degree a cam. It's much easier with a adjustable double roller set-up.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
This is a flase statement. The main reasons people who don't opt to go double is b/c they don't want to have to shim the oil pump & modify things to get it to work. Plus LS2 chains are in some pretty stout applications without issue, so I believe they are plenty strong.

The main advantage of a double roller comes in when you need to make timing adjustments or degree a cam. It's much easier with a adjustable double roller set-up.
It's not a false statement. I have read it at least 5 times. If I wanted to go back and look I would find them. Neither here nor there, who really cares. The mods were easy to make it fit, and I used the melling, which some people says isn't possible. (also not a false statement).