Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to install heads, want to dump the shortie headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question About to install heads, want to dump the shortie headers

Fellas, I'm hoping you can lead me in the best direction. I have a cam (in sig)and a Strange 12-bolt with 4.11s, already installed. I have a set of PP ported 243 heads that I want to install, but I'm thinking about dumping my JBA shortie headers.

I live in Massachusetts, and '96 and newer vehicles get emissions test by OBDII hookup. I have my computer set up to pass emissions, in fact I got my new inspection sticker yesterday, but I'm thinking about getting better flowing headers and install them with the new heads. I'd like to have at least aftermarket cats in case of a visual inspection. What are my options as far as headers? I'm shying away from a long-tube setup with no cats, but is there anything else better flowing than my JBAs, short of longtubes?

What would you guys get in my situation? I probably could drop the cats since the inspection station I go to doesn't really do a visual inspection, but I'd rather have at least aftermarket cats and better flowing headers than my JBAs. What should I consider getting? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not consider long tubes WITH cats? Or are long tubes in general NOT an option...

-J
Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Why not consider long tubes WITH cats? Or are long tubes in general NOT an option...

-J
I didn't know someone made LTs with cats. That sounds like an option if I don't have clearance problems under the car (I'm lowered about 3/4").

Also, I've heard that installing LTs is a bitch which is something I worry about like having to disconnect the engine and lift it up. Maybe that's not true anymore since I haven't researched headers since 2001 when I got my JBAs. Maybe you can get me up to speed. Appreciate your help!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend checking out American Racing headers. They make a nice longtube header and catted y pipe combo.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I would recommend checking out American Racing headers. They make a nice longtube header and catted y pipe combo.
Thanks! I'll check those out right now. Are these a bitch to install? I do this stuff in my driveway mostly alone. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLP and other companies make high flow cats . If you were wanting to stay smaller than a longtube might want to look at MAC mids . Running Mac mids years ago with a lid and a ported TB I made 348rwhp . Still using the same headers now but put down about 100 more rwhp .
Good luck !
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

(as in JScamaro, I am a slow typer...)

Yes, there are several companies that do LTs and Catted Y pipes. 3/4" of an inch isn't really much in the grand scheme of things. I would look into the ARH setup, great ground clearance, nice merge on the Y, and awesome quality (it all fits well too). And yes a lot has happened in terms of parts development since 2001 I've never lifted the engine on 4 LT installs I've done, your experience may differ, but they range from Pacesetters to ARH. The main thing you are going to want is a GOOD jack and set of jack stands. You'll wanna get that car decently high off the ground to make sure they just jump right in. Good luck.

-J
Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I checked-out those AR headers, they look very very nice!

I was wondering how you choose between 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primaries? Also, I need to weld-in a bung for my Innovate LM-1 wideband, don't know if that'll be a problem. Also, they didn't have a price online. And does the y-pipe come with them? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snake charmer
SLP and other companies make high flow cats . If you were wanting to stay smaller than a longtube might want to look at MAC mids . Running Mac mids years ago with a lid and a ported TB I made 348rwhp . Still using the same headers now but put down about 100 more rwhp .
Good luck !
SnakeCharmer, I'll look into these as well, might be a nice compromise for me. Looks like you netted 16 more hp that my JBAs (before cam). Appreciate it!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

(as in JScamaro, I am a slow typer...)

Yes, there are several companies that do LTs and Catted Y pipes. 3/4" of an inch isn't really much in the grand scheme of things. I would look into the ARH setup, great ground clearance, nice merge on the Y, and awesome quality (it all fits well too). And yes a lot has happened in terms of parts development since 2001 I've never lifted the engine on 4 LT installs I've done, your experience may differ, but they range from Pacesetters to ARH. The main thing you are going to want is a GOOD jack and set of jack stands. You'll wanna get that car decently high off the ground to make sure they just jump right in. Good luck.

-J
Excellent info! I have a couple other questions in my other post, mainly cost, 1 3/4" versus 1 7/8", LM-1, and y-pipe included or not. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

I got 7/8 because I figure, well I shouldn't ever have to buy another set (what a terrible justification that is, just my opinion...). I asked that question to about a dozen different people about it was split about 50/50 in terms of who said to get which. That is a WHOLE other can of worms that is opened almost weekly in this section... you can search and find many a fierce discussion about it You can get the LTs themselves, or get the y-pipe with them. Some opt to have a custom Y made up, I didn't because I wanted to just slap it all on in my garage and be done. Not to mention it fits great and I had to cut NOTHING on the exhaust to get it all to fit to my magnaflow catback. If you talk to Nick he can square you away I bet with getting an extra bung welded in for WB02. HTH.

-J
Old 08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post up how much power you make. Looks like me any you are running almost the identical setup .
Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went pacesetters with custom Y and magnaflow cats. Gained 32 rwhp and ~30 rwtq.
I would have gotten the american racing setup-ive seen it in person and it is a million times better as far as quality and material, but I dont have an extra thousand dollars hanging around.
Performance wise not a whole lot of difference, most LT's gain between 20-30depending on the car.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I got 7/8 because I figure, well I shouldn't ever have to buy another set (what a terrible justification that is, just my opinion...). I asked that question to about a dozen different people about it was split about 50/50 in terms of who said to get which. That is a WHOLE other can of worms that is opened almost weekly in this section... you can search and find many a fierce discussion about it You can get the LTs themselves, or get the y-pipe with them. Some opt to have a custom Y made up, I didn't because I wanted to just slap it all on in my garage and be done. Not to mention it fits great and I had to cut NOTHING on the exhaust to get it all to fit to my magnaflow catback. If you talk to Nick he can square you away I bet with getting an extra bung welded in for WB02. HTH.

-J
Thanks lastcall, more great info. I did a search on primary size and I see what you mean, lots of conflicting info. I think I'll just go 1 3/4" and call it a day. Good heads up about the WBO2 bung, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Big help! Thanks so much!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tasilver
Post up how much power you make. Looks like me any you are running almost the identical setup .
Will do tasilver, our cars will be almost the same, even the same color. You have better shocks with the Konis vs. Bilsteins, LS7 clutch (I'm still stock), and WS6 hood. Same cam, heads, rearend, etc.

I didn't see power listed in your sig. What kind of numbers you make?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default fix

header and catted y pipe combo
Old 08-14-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I went pacesetters with custom Y and magnaflow cats. Gained 32 rwhp and ~30 rwtq.
I would have gotten the american racing setup-ive seen it in person and it is a million times better as far as quality and material, but I dont have an extra thousand dollars hanging around.
Performance wise not a whole lot of difference, most LT's gain between 20-30depending on the car.
That might be it for me too. I couldn't find a price on the AR site, and no one seems to have the heart to break the news to me.

I think I could be happy with Pacesetters. It will be a big improvement over what I got.

Last edited by Predator; 08-14-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was quoted around 1100 bucks and that was at the wholesale price.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I was quoted around 1100 bucks and that was at the wholesale price.
Thanks ZMONSTER, I found a price of just under $1450 at Thunder Racing. I'd rather go thru a sponsor here if I could. I don't see TR listed. Where'd you get that quote, if you don't mind me asking? The $1450. was with cats.

If I could get 'em for around your quote I'd do it. Man, these headers look sweet. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

lastcall, is Nick at the AR site?