Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does one quiet down the valve train?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How does one quiet down the valve train?

Hey all I like many others have the LS1 sewing machine going on and have started to get kinda tired of it! Hell the damn valve train is almost as loud as my exhaust! So does anyone know of a way to quiet the VT down? Like going to a set of aftermarket rockers?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing is to make sure geometry is correct (wipe pattern) and pushrod length is correct (measure with adjustable pushrod).
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pretty radical cam on lsk lobes and my engine is as quiet as could be. I have never heard a more quiet cammed engine as far as valvetrain goes. I attribute it to my .100 preload and 65psi warm idle oil pressure. Preload (correct pushrod length) is most important for quieting down valvetrain and a good set of springs imo.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

well Im running the PRC dual springs, and 7.40 pushrods with the stock rockers, would a set of YT's do well towards quieting my motor down? Also how are the comp rockers that all come mounted on a single bar? Those look quiet interesting. I would need the 1.7 rockers correct?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could dynomat parts of your engine bay that stuff works very well. But other then that on a cammed car with all the geometry being correct (which i am sure Ryne made sure it was) there is not too much you can do. Maybe i am wrong?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 180ls1
you could dynomat parts of your engine bay that stuff works very well. But other then that on a cammed car with all the geometry being correct (which i am sure Ryne made sure it was) there is not too much you can do. Maybe i am wrong?
Oh I have no doubt that mike put it all together correctly, but the geometry is only as good as the parts in this case as they are the stock rockers and not adjustable. I am hoping that an adjustable aftermarket set will allow the geometry to be dialed in to the 'T' and eliminate alot of motor noise.
Even If I did dynamat the engine bay I would still get the valve train noise resonating through the header collectors, so Id like to eliminate this problem at its source!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Oh I have no doubt that mike put it all together correctly, but the geometry is only as good as the parts in this case as they are the stock rockers and not adjustable. I am hoping that an adjustable aftermarket set will allow the geometry to be dialed in to the 'T' and eliminate alot of motor noise.
Even If I did dynamat the engine bay I would still get the valve train noise resonating through the header collectors, so Id like to eliminate this problem at its source!
in all honesty, the stock rockers are really good... only thing that needs to be done to them, is get them rebuilt by Harland Sharp so that the needle bearings don't spill out... many guys are using them with 800+ HP.... I've seen quite a few on here say that after they stuck some aftermarkets in there, they had some small issues with them, or costed them small amounts of hp... (not all, but some...)

curious, what's your cam lift specs again?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

.581 .588.
With the PRC double springs I should be fine up to and a little past .600, to .660 actually, but its noisy as hell!
I too have read of people having trouble with the HS and YT but primarily because of their weight, YT's are supposed to have been re-desinged.
Im just trying to throw it out there to see if there is a way to quiet it down!

Last edited by ZMONSTER!; 08-30-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock rockers can be adjusted, but it takes time and working with shims. I doubt it was done or looked at. The YT's are easier to dial in due to the individual pedestals but it does take time as well. If you shim, you will need new pushrods as well.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Stock rockers can be adjusted, but it takes time and working with shims. I doubt it was done or looked at. The YT's are easier to dial in due to the individual pedestals but it does take time as well. If you shim, you will need new pushrods as well.
How does one determinr the needed length of a pushrod?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Smile

The best way is to use a adjustable push rod checker; about $20.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, pushrod checker got it. Now...how does one use it? Honestly Id be standing there holding the checker in one hand looking at it like a cave man. Anyone ever seen the movie the gods must be crazy? Ya that would be me with the glass bottle, except my glass bottle would be the push rod checker.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you go through the valve train and everything is 100%, then you might just have noisy components. I've heard of some cam lobes being noisy, and I know that Ford struggled with that on some of the 5.0L engines in the early 90's.

I've figured out on DOHC engines (Hondas) that an oil heavy with moly content will quiet a noisy valve train. Either Red Line Oil, which has a lot of moly, or a good moly additive will quiet the valve train. A heavy oil might help as well, but I don't like that solution.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Just something else to look at. When I pulled the rockers off my car, There was probably 10 to 15 thou vertical movement in the trunnion and the rocker it self. Engine was a stock LS6 with around 65K. I had more people ask me what was ticking in my car you couldn't believe it! I installed a set of 1.7 Crane gold rollers and the engine was quite as a mouse. Until I switched to the fast intake with no foam on the bottom! Holy crap do those things echo injector tick!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
Until I switched to the fast intake with no foam on the bottom! Holy crap do those things echo injector tick!

Aint that the truth. I thought I had a vacuum or exhaust leak but it's just the noisy FAST intake.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Ok, pushrod checker got it. Now...how does one use it? Honestly Id be standing there holding the checker in one hand looking at it like a cave man. Anyone ever seen the movie the gods must be crazy? Ya that would be me with the glass bottle, except my glass bottle would be the push rod checker.
Do a search, there are several write ups on using the checker. Get the preload around 80 to 100 and your valvetrain will be nice and quiet. You don't need aftermarket rockers or anything else, just the correct setup.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

FYI....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/978541-thank-you-yella-terra.html