Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargering my 99 vette, Should I replace my rod bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Superchargering my 99 vette, Should I replace my rod bolts???

I'm planning on purchasing a Vortech supercharger for my 99 vette. Along with that, I'm also purchasing long-tube headers and a LS6 intake manifold. My current mods on the car is a Vararam air intake and Magnaflow Magna-pack with X-pipe. My goal is to make 500-550bhp. I'm not changing my rev limiter and I'll be running 8psi of boost. But should I change my rod bolts just to be safe?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the money then yes that is a smart investment if you want that motor to last on that amount of boost, it would be good for peace of mind. But they are not needed if you dont have the money just keep the boost down and keep a good safe tune on it.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your going to take the motor out, then you might as well just get some descent rods and forged pistons. Your going to spend the money on new bearings and bolts all around so why not spend the extra money for the rods and pistons. You can still use the stock crank which many people have for higher hp applications. This way youll be fine for a while and you can even run more boost if you lower the cr with the pistons.

If you all you ever plan on doing is 500-550 bhp then i woulnt even take the motor out for just the rod bolts. Theyll be fine with that amount of hp.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

You could do a heads and cam package that would put you in that h/p range but to answer your question you may want to change and put stronger rods and not just the rod bolts and you may want to upgrade to a blower friendly cam on the other hand if you went with a blower putting out 6.5 pounds of boost you would be safe with the stock set up but a 6.5 psi set up is not worth bragging about performance wise.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understood, was its a good idea to change rod bolts if you were going to be spinning it to 7K plus.. and since your not I dont see any reason to touch the bottom end.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about it....throw the blower on and make more HP than a lot of NA motors without issue. When the motor pops, spring for the forged stuff.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your over 500rwhp I would deff change them out.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 180ls1
if you have the money then yes that is a smart investment if you want that motor to last on that amount of boost, it would be good for peace of mind. But they are not needed if you dont have the money just keep the boost down and keep a good safe tune on it.
Originally Posted by Jefro6996
If your going to take the motor out, then you might as well just get some descent rods and forged pistons. Your going to spend the money on new bearings and bolts all around so why not spend the extra money for the rods and pistons. You can still use the stock crank which many people have for higher hp applications. This way youll be fine for a while and you can even run more boost if you lower the cr with the pistons.

If you all you ever plan on doing is 500-550 bhp then i woulnt even take the motor out for just the rod bolts. Theyll be fine with that amount of hp.
Originally Posted by ODAWG
You could do a heads and cam package that would put you in that h/p range but to answer your question you may want to change and put stronger rods and not just the rod bolts and you may want to upgrade to a blower friendly cam on the other hand if you went with a blower putting out 6.5 pounds of boost you would be safe with the stock set up but a 6.5 psi set up is not worth bragging about performance wise.
Originally Posted by waterbug1999
From what I understood, was its a good idea to change rod bolts if you were going to be spinning it to 7K plus.. and since your not I dont see any reason to touch the bottom end.
Originally Posted by Summerwolf
I wouldn't worry about it....throw the blower on and make more HP than a lot of NA motors without issue. When the motor pops, spring for the forged stuff.
Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
If your over 500rwhp I would deff change them out.

I'll be running 7 psi of boost not 8 psi. My bad.