Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install

Its time to finally slap on some long tube headers and let this LS1 breathe... I'll be going with Texas Speed LTs 1 7/8 with an ORY. Whether I go with Texas Speed or the Pacesetter ORY I am undecided on just yet. I heard Pacesetter has a better fit? I was just wondering what is necessary or not. Header gaskets is a must, so I will be replacing those. I'd like to go with new spark plugs & wires. What are some good brands that may have the option in white colored wires? Now I've had QTP headers installed on my 01 Z28 and never replaced the motor mounts. Is this a "necessary" mod to replace or just extra precaution?? I don't know how much they run, but if its better off done then not and people "highly" recommend it... then I'll go through with attempting it in my install. But it never seemed to affect my Z28.

Any other items or parts that I need? Is a tune needed? I plan to cam it within the next year or two (once having the funds) and will be getting a tune then.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, a mail order tune will do fine and is necessary to tune out the rear 02s and get your air/fuel ratio correct...good time to dial the car in for 150$...ngk plugs wires.... Motor mounts are around 60$ or so and you SHOULD replace them. What year is your car? do you have egr/air. And just gotta ask, why not run duals?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justin hover
Yes, a mail order tune will do fine and is necessary to tune out the rear 02s and get your air/fuel ratio correct...good time to dial the car in for 150$...ngk plugs wires.... Motor mounts are around 60$ or so and you SHOULD replace them. What year is your car? do you have egr/air. And just gotta ask, why not run duals?
duals are expensive aren't they?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoHope
duals are expensive aren't they?
No more on average than any catback...5 or 550$ for TSPs TDs..
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Dont true duals take away ground clearance with lowered cars? Im in the same boat as OP but im planning on lowering my car soon.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

I've heard of mail-order tunes but just don't know anything about them or what they look like? How they work? I have a 2002 SS with AIR,no EGR. I have the CME exhaust setup and I'm keeping it. I'm thinking about going with a catted y as well to reduce rasp, I'll be installing the SLP LM1 muffler
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

No more on average than any catback...5 or 550$ for TSPs TDs..
But TSP doesn't offer a full true dual exhaust. It dumps halfway back, there are no tailpipes behind the bumper in that setup. Only Kooks sells a full dual exhaust set up, at $1,500.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BAD2theBONE
I've heard of mail-order tunes but just don't know anything about them or what they look like? How they work? I have a 2002 SS with AIR,no EGR. I have the CME exhaust setup and I'm keeping it. I'm thinking about going with a catted y as well to reduce rasp, I'll be installing the SLP LM1 muffler
You're installing the LM1 RESONATOR and you want to reduce rasp? That's a bit counter intuitive. The LM1 makes rasp.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD2theBONE
Frost tuning. He's a sponser. You send your pcm, he tunes the pcm, car performs better. I've had 2 threw him before my dyno.150$.....other sponsers do this as well.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

But TSP doesn't offer a full true dual exhaust. It dumps halfway back, there are no tailpipes behind the bumper in that setup. Only Kooks sells a full dual exhaust set up, at $1,500.
You cut off the dumps and have it fabbed up, under or over the axle. I had mine run under the axle with corsa clones...then recently went back to dumped (sounds great dumped with the cam) but left the tips for looks/fill in my rear bumper
Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

You're installing the LM1 RESONATOR and you want to reduce rasp? That's a bit counter intuitive. The LM1 makes rasp.
Yes I know and you are right. I like the sound and rasp of the LM1, but there can also be too much rasp with an ORY. I'll be keeping my stock muffler to switch back after putting in the cam.

Thanks a buddy of mine tonight at a local car meet mentioned Frost.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Teching In

what is your opinions to OBX headers n y-pipe?

Quick Reply: Header Install