Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK vs Speed Engineering headers and ORY

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BBK vs Speed Engineering headers and ORY

This is not a question of 1-3/4 vs 1-7/8 or whether you think I should get TSP or Hookers, etc. I know these posts tend to get off subject, so I want to buy 1-3/4 headers and an off-road y pipe for my 2000 Camaro SS. I’m trying to choose between BBK and speed engineering.... thoughts please?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't buy Speed Engineering. I have their 1 7/8" LTs. Everything is very nice. The price is great.

But....the drivers side collector was angled wrong pointing down towards the ground......totally screwing you on ground clearance after the Y is connected to it.

When I called to tell them.....all they said was...."Oh, we fixed that in our new batch"

Wouldn't a company that admits thy fixed a screw up in their production of my batch offer to send me a new "fixed" drivers side header.....? NOPE.

I'm posting to let you know Speed Engineering....customer service is ****......willingness to correct a known effect is ****.

My next set of headers will be TSP. Excellent everything from my research. Too bad it was after buying these from SE........
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (10-19-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Thumbs up

On the flipside...I used the BBK longtubes and Off Road Y pipe on my car, and fitment is great. Probably the easiest install of any headers I have ever done...Y pipe provides stock-like ground clearance
Old 10-10-2019, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Speed engineering hands down. I have had both and the Speed engineering set is just a nicer piece, I HAD ZERO FITMENT ISSUES with both my Fbody and GTO plus the SE headers have a velocity spike which the BBK do not have.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from the bbk to SE 1 7/8 mainly for the bigger size and Stainless stee;. Have no complaints with either and install was easy for both. Also something to think about is the bbk has a 2.5in y pipe and the SE has 3in.

Last edited by sokr915; 10-11-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Red face

Originally Posted by sokr915
Also something to think about is the bbk has a 2.5in y pipe and the SE has 3in.
Just wanted to touch base on the 2.5" vs. 3" thing...

I had my "Y"-pipe off a a few days ago and decided to actually measure the collectors while they were accessible...

The COLLECTORS are actually smaller than even the 2.5" advertised pipe inlet size....

Mine measured 2-1/8" on driver side, and 2-3/16" on the passenger side...

A header swap is on the short list of mods to do over the winter, without a doubt...Don't know if I'll go with the SE ones, but these gotta go...

Yes, they fit well, but the header's actual outlet diameter is less than a stock manifold, I believe.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by stilealive
Don't buy Speed Engineering. I have their 1 7/8" LTs. Everything is very nice. The price is great.

But....the drivers side collector was angled wrong pointing down towards the ground......totally screwing you on ground clearance after the Y is connected to it.

When I called to tell them.....all they said was...."Oh, we fixed that in our new batch"

Wouldn't a company that admits thy fixed a screw up in their production of my batch offer to send me a new "fixed" drivers side header.....? NOPE.

I'm posting to let you know Speed Engineering....customer service is ****......willingness to correct a known effect is ****.

My next set of headers will be TSP. Excellent everything from my research. Too bad it was after buying these from SE........
I had the exact same problem and the exact same results except they were 1 3/4. Albeit several years ago.

Other than that issue they fit great. I am wanting to change to 1 7/8 headers. I would like to go back with SE mainly because of the price but not if I have to do some beating and hack **** to make it work.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have SE's 1 7/8th and no issue with collector facing down.

Quick Reply: BBK vs Speed Engineering headers and ORY