Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

(UPDATE) oil leak and burn question on 440 lsx (UPDATE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (UPDATE) oil leak and burn question on 440 lsx (UPDATE)

Hello well I took some of the advise and took the passenger side head off and this is what I saw. Dont think it is leaking from the rings, but Ill post the pics and tell me what you think, Im taking the heads to a machine shop around here to have them tested for any leaks or cracks.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

more pics, sorry for the quality I had to use my Iphone.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

The exhaust valve for the number 8 cylinder was also pretty caked with **** just like the runner it came out of, here is a couple final pics.

any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

How did the valve seals look?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

perfect not a problem, in the first post on this whole mess, I posted I changed all that could be changed with the heads still on the car. The first has the same title just not with (UPDATE) on it. Thanks for the response
Old 04-25-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valve seals/guides on those exhaust ports no question. Just because valve seals "look" ok, doesn't mean they're actually sealing.

Also, I don't know who milled your heads, but they look like ****, and you shouldn't be seeing those tooling marks. Good thing you didn't run any boost through that because your heads would not seal. You need to have the heads cleaned up by a shop that can put near a mirror finish on those.

Glad to see you got the heads off!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

You know after I took it apart, I thought to myself I dont think it was the rings, but ETP biult the heads. It was a first run of there LS7 heads, Im not bashing them at all just saying where and who I bought them from. Im taking them to Daves Machine shop, in Fremont CA to get them cleaned up and checked out on Monday, so hopefully that will fix this mess, then I can slap them on and make 1000RWHP hopefully, Ill let you know. I just hope after the machine shop looks at them they get fixed.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd agree that the deck on those heads looks like ****. Dave's Mahine is a great shop. Dave and Angie will get you sorted out
Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Looks more like they have been slid around or from trying to clean the gasket off than tool marks. IMO
Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ONEBAD383STROKER
Looks more like they have been slid around or from trying to clean the gasket off than tool marks. IMO
Second picture down, top part of the head, you can see the tooling marks, looks like it was cut on an old machine. My heads looked like that, and they leaked. Learned my lesson.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Crazy03

That looks like scuff marks from a sanding block or scraper. You can see where the marks are cutting through the darker impressions left from head gasket. What's in the exhaust port? It looks like some loose material or something, but it's hard to make out with the blurry pics.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
That looks like scuff marks from a sanding block or scraper. You can see where the marks are cutting through the darker impressions left from head gasket. What's in the exhaust port? It looks like some loose material or something, but it's hard to make out with the blurry pics.
IMO, those are definitely tool marks from milling. The marks are uniform throughout all of the head as you can see down on the bottom as well. Not something you would see with a sanding block or scraper.

Looks like burnt up oil build up in the exhaust ports.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 141 Posts

If Crazy will take some more pictures with his real camera using the macro function, I think we'd be able to tell for sure if those are tool marks or not.

Crazy, post 'em up .
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the response, tool marks or not that is not my problem. I pulled the entire motor today and probly will get the rings changed on the #8 cylinder. I spoke to Angie at Dave's machine shop and she made some very good points. I think the rings did not seat in the cylinder and it basically needs to be rebuilt. The heads are fine other wise. I just want this think done and complete so I can rip some people some new a**holes on the street. Thanks Again
Old 04-29-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

wow, well keep us updated I suppose. I wouldn't think it was the rings as there would be more oil buildup on the piston, and since all of the oil was concentrated in the exhaust ports would lead me to believe it was simply a valve stem seal/guide issue. If it were the rings, your leak down test would have shown it clearly.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Yes thats what I was thinking also. If you look at the photo I took of the piston it is very clean compared to the others. I was told that oil can also clean pistons, along with water/coolant. Also on the cylinder walls you can not see the cross hatches (I think thats what there called) , its smooth as a babies bottom. Every other cylinder they are very aparent. Im guessing and I wont know until I pull the piston that maybe those rings in number 8 just didnt seat. I could be wrong and I did it all for nothing, but if you fix every little problem then I shouldnt have any problems. I hope at least, besides it only took about 7 hours to remove the heads and motor, no big deal.

Ill keep you posted, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate everyones time. I figure Ill just sell the biult 6 Sp, the texttrilla clutch and maybe go with a built auto, sinve everything is all out.

Anyone a 6spd with an awsome clutch

Quick Reply: (UPDATE) oil leak and burn question on 440 lsx (UPDATE)