Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Build up my LS1 or go with an LS2.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build up my LS1 or go with an LS2.

The time is coming to where I'm about to pay off my 01 WS6. This means it's time for a new project, whether it be a new car or an overhaul of my WS6. I'm starting to settle on just building my T/A up but am a little confused on where to go with it. I was thinking of either picking up a LS2 and building it up and supercharging it. I was mainly wondering if this would be a good idea or if I should just pull my LS1 out and stroke it out to a 383 and build it up. I'd like to touch 600 horses but think I'd be satisfied with 500. I'm not looking to build a 10 or 9 second drag car. I want a street machine that is right on the fence as a daily driver and a strip car. I plan to strip the air conditioning out of it, run straight pipe, etc. The car already has the looks so I don't have to worry about that. I'm looking to take the little luxury items out of the car and make it more of a real driver's car. I don't need power leather seats and all the other luxury bullshit that weighs it down. My original plan was to pick up a 69 Charger and build a rat rod but feel I may be jumping in over my head with a project like that. With my T/A, like I said, I want a real strong powerplant and then I want to move on to tubular a-arms, steering rack, etc. Anyway, I'm done rambling on about it. I'm mainly just wondering about which would be the best way to go with the engine. LS1 or LS2? Also, if I were to go with an LS2, is it pretty much going to bolt right in or what type of modifications am I looking at?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do a search on what you would need for the swap - there's a sticky as well.

My opinion, the more cubes, the better. A stroked LS2/3 isn't that much more expensive than a 383.

But if your set on boost, then a forged 347 will get you the numbers you are looking for as well
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM

if i had the time to rebuild my motor and the tools, id have rebuilt my ls1 and built it up rather than do a ls2.. id be happier in the long run with a built ls2 but for my goals.. a ls1 can do everything i want it too.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I mainly got into the whole turbo/supercharger kick when I was planning on picking up a Grand National. I'm not locked into it by any means and my just keep it N/A since I have more experience with that set up anyway.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 PM

texas speed has a couple of heads and cam packages that could get you around the 460rwhp mark and even more with a intake and good tune
Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well just to give you an idea - I recently fired up my new 416 LS3. The cam is moderate (244/250, .650" lifts, 112 LSA) for the displacement of the engine. All I can say is WOW! So far it's everything I had hoped for. It kills the MS4/PRC 1.5 LS6 heads/FAST 92 combo I use to have. The torque band kicks in much earlier as well, which makes it a little more fun on the street and hopefully easier to launch with the M6 at the track.
If you have and are willing to spend the money, and would like to stay n/a, go with the cubes!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

ls2 has 30 more hp to the wheel compared to the ls1 stick with the ls1 and get a head cam package you will be satisfied for a little while at least
Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Teching In

This is going to be an all or nothing deal. When I pay off my car I plan to take out another loan and use the money to build the engine I want for the car instead of getting another, new car.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with ls2 or ls3. There are a tone more choices as far as heads out there and the price of l92 and ls3 heads are unbeatable. But if it were me I would get the '69 Charger and do a tribute to the death proof movie. '69 Chargers are my favorite cars hands down the cool factor is out of this world. But that's just me.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

If you're going to drive the car a fair amount, best bet and best deal is the GMPP LS 376/480. It comes with a lot of the goodies folks don't often think of until the nickels and dimes start hitting, including a warranty. Grab the LPE convert box, some conversion harnesses, a cable TB, and you're in good shape with 430/430 at the wheels with a fat flat torque curve that drives like stock.

Don't get caught up in peak numbers. A 6.2 with 430 rwhp will smoke a 5.7 with 430 rwhp every time, and drive better to boot.

I wouldn't get a loan, save up. Then you can grab a used LS2 from a GTO, no need for the converter box. Port the heads, slide in a mild cam, and get still awesome results for a couple or three grand less.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Can anybody recommend a good book that'd help walk me through tearing down an engine and building it back up. This is going to be a learn as I go project and am going to need all the help I can get. I picked up a great book about turbo systems by Corky Bell and would love to find a similar book to help me with the rebuild.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

there is a book by Chris Werner, I think he is in this forum I am not sure. the book is call how to rebuild GM LS-SERIES ENGINES, it is a good book with a lots of info and pics. I definitely recommend reading this one, but there are other books out there too.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

i have a 2001 SS Camaro (pretty much bone stock) that i'm selling. I purchased a 94 Firebird Formula for $1450 and sold the old T56 and engine out of it for what i paid (the engine had rod knock). So for the project I pretty much started at $0... I went with a LY6 engine, M12 t56, hooker long tubes, x-pipe, umi adjustable torque arm, umi adjustable rear lca's, torque thrust II 17x9.5/17x11 wheels, pro 5.0 shifter, summit underdrive pulley, UMI road race k-member and a bunch of other parts.

so far, in the firebird project, i'm nowhere close to the price im selling my 2001 SS for... it requires a lot of work, but in the end i'll be rewarded with something that far out performs the SS and has far fewer miles and variable valve timing (which was a huge selling point for me)... not to mention something that costs less

Im selling my SS... if i were you i'd sell the WS6 and start a project

Quick Reply: Build up my LS1 or go with an LS2.