Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

02 firebird Terrible piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 firebird Terrible piston slap

I just bought a 02 firebird with 31k on the car that has the WORST piston slap i ever heard! when you start it cold its quiet for about 30 seconds then it starts clacking and knocks and clicks and makes terrible noises for about 5 mins until it gets hot then its completely quiet.

THANKS GM
Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old 383 sounded like that. Guess when you bought it it had been warmed up with no noise, hehe
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

Its insane...how could it slap this badly, even hot the engine has a weird clatter to it if the piston are unloaded like when it shifts up through the gears. Everytime it shifts at light throttle you hear the pistons slightly clatter. Odd thing is it uses no oil, you would think if it was that loose it would use some???? damit GM !
Old 07-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Launching!

My 2000 SS did the same thing. even when it was hot in between shifts just like yours. My friends always talked **** when they heard it......well until they rode in it then the shut up quick. I bought the car at 29k miles and sold it at 78k and had no issues. So i wouldnt worry about it.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

My car has some piston Slap every morning. Lasts about 30 Seconds then clears up
Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99RTA
Its insane...how could it slap this badly, even hot the engine has a weird clatter to it if the piston are unloaded like when it shifts up through the gears. Everytime it shifts at light throttle you hear the pistons slightly clatter. Odd thing is it uses no oil, you would think if it was that loose it would use some???? damit GM !
pistons a bit too small for the bore letting them rock back and forth in there, rings could still be tight to the bore not letting oil get thru.
Get a QTP cut out so you won't hear it.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99RTA
Its not a matter of being "loose". There is nothing wrong with the tolerances.

The issue lies in two things - the hyperutectic pistons and their short skirts. The pistons expand at a different rate than the cast iron cylinder liner, which causes piston slap when cold. If they decreased the tolerance, you would have issues with the pistons being too close tolerance with the cylinder walls when warm. Its basically a compromise.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies, i'm still not conviced this is all piston noise. The car for a very long time since it only has 31k on it, I'm starting to think some of the lifter are bleding down causing noise BUT why would it be COMPLETELY QUIET for 30 seconds on a cold start then make all this clatter? I mean honestly if you heard it you would say WTH is wrong. Another thing i noticed if you raise the rpm a little and get a load on the engine its completely silent again...let it idle and all the clatter comes bk. It has 50 psi oil pressure hot at a idle, higher as you rev it so oil pressure is good. My 99 made simliar noises but not this loud.

Quick Reply: 02 firebird Terrible piston slap