Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 with VVT in a 98 Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default L92 with VVT in a 98 Fbody

I am trying to do some homework on how to get a fully functional L92 with VVT into an Fbody. I haven't found too many threads where Fbody owners have completed the transfer with the VVT intact. Could someone verify what I think I know about this:

-Must use different accessories because of the extra thick timing cover (or there are some things that MAST sells to help out, like spacers?)

-You've got to use the ECM from the original L92 equipted vehicle (unless you go with the MAST computer)

-Reusing the stock gauges is a tuning challenge

-You're extra screwed if you're a 98...

Could anyone point me in a good place to find info on doing this swap, or perhaps post up some info on their build? Or if someone knows another member who has successfuly completed this build could you share their info?

Thanks. VVT seems like a really cool piece of technology capable of making crazy power accross the board and having street manors.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a fully functional L92 in a 1994 Firebird (LY6, but same difference. wiring is pretty much identical)

-You need a 3/4" bracket/spacers to space the factory LS1 PS Pump and Alternator
-My brother wired the e38 ECU (mr220v is his name on the boards) complete with Drive By Wire pedal... he figured it out inside of a night, but he's been doing automotive wiring for years...
-Analog gauges are the only way to go unless you can find something that translates Low-speed GMLAN to Class 2 Serial Data (if you do, let me know haha). Analog Gauges WILL require re-flashing using EFI Live or HP Tuners (EFI Live preferrable)
-You're not screwed if you use a 98. AFAIK the gauges are still analog on it, and you need to use a $40 Corvette Fuel filter/Regulator that simply snaps into place on your existing lines (feed/return)

oh, and VVT is ridiculous.

Last edited by pillagenburn; 11-04-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
oh, and VVT is ridiculous.
I bet man.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't find much info on this subject when I searched. I'd love to learn more about it. I bet that street tuning is virtually impossible, as in must use a dyno. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

A dyno tune isn't that much money, in the grand scheme of things. I haven't dyno tuned mine yet, though I'm going to pretty soon... I just need to find someone who can dyno tune in the Atlanta, GA area (and who can do VVT tuning.

VVT is 100% worth it though...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Comp/Fast has some goofy setup to run the VVT if I remember correctly.

They also sell the cams and a limiter for that deal. I think that they might be working with Mast on the VVT but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

Robin
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

I can remember reading a little about VVT when it first came out, but its almost like I was reading it without internalizing it... kinda like reading a book in elementry school but thinking about nintendo at home When I realized just what VVT really was all about it caught my attention and I've almost decided to hold off on the turbo plans to see what I can learn about VVT. I think a lot of other people are also just figuring out how cool it could be too. I've seen some people walk away with complete L92 engines for LQ4/9 prices and that's appealing to me. If outfitting an Fbody with a VVT gen IV is something that can't be done without doing lots of ripping and tearing and obvious interior moddifications then I might stop looking into it and research something else.

I'm glad that several of the big companies are investing their time and research into this too. I'll just do another big eye roll if a plug'n'play setup ends up being 60% of what I paid for my car in '05, like a lot of performance stuff is.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I have a custom wiring harness I could make and sell for anyone interested in getting an l92/e38 running in an Fbody.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Launching!

how much?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Teching In

PM sent.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Let's keep this thread going. Pillagenburn, could you write a how-to? This would be the ultimate howto for the howto archive!

If you've got a fully functioning VVT engine in an Fbody then post up!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

I have a write-up with a video.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...d-formula.html

this is *THE* first VVT 4th gen f-body (or perhaps any variation of f-body) in existence... thanks to mr220v for the wiring. I'm going to post up another video soon. I'm just getting some additional mods done like...

160* thermostat, C5 brake upgrade and a few other things this car is nuts. In terms of driveability, it really can't be beat - VVT really is like adding displacement, the low-end is like nothing I've ever driven.

edit: oh, and all of the stock gauges work.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Keep us updated for sure. If you can get a step-by-step on the wiring then I'll put it at the top of the engine section in the how-to archive.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

lol, well I'll get a step-by step on the install process .. gonna have to talk to mr220v about the wiring.

Quick Reply: L92 with VVT in a 98 Fbody