Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2010 Denali/l92 milled?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2010 Denali/l92 milled?

i have a 2010 denali. I have a set of prc l92 ported heads and they are just sitting around. They are milled .30. Could i put these on or will is mess with the pushrod/dod/valve clearance?

Anyone know?
Kyle
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
i have a 2010 denali. I have a set of prc l92 ported heads and they are just sitting around. They are milled .30. Could i put these on or will is mess with the pushrod/dod/valve clearance?

Anyone know?
Kyle

Anytime you change the height of the valve train to the cam shaft you will mess with the geometry.

I believe a new set of pushrods you'll be fine.

Last edited by ND400; 09-22-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Had to
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would agree, milled .030" will likely warrant a pushrod length change but other than that you should be good to go

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Do you think a 7.3 pushrod instead of the 7.4 would be what I need?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No, that'll likely be way too short. We recommend customer ALWAYS measure to attain accurate and correct preload. The tool is only $20 and will save you alot of headaches!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

If you keep VVT youll probably have PTV clearance problems depending on what size cam you decide to go with or you could ditch VVT all together and not worry about it.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
If you keep VVT youll probably have PTV clearance problems depending on what size cam you decide to go with or you could ditch VVT all together and not worry about it.
VVT in and of itself is not the problem on piston to valve clearance...rather, it's people throwing random lobes onto VVT cores, not installing the cam properly, and not tuning the advance correctly that causes it to interfere. Milling a head .030" is not a major concern for PtoV clearance on VVT if the installer/builder/tuner know what they are doing

Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

so the ptvc is not going to be an issue. I do not plan on a cam. I just have these heads and they are sitting around i figured i might as well put them to use rather then let them rott. My only issue is going to be the pushrods. So get the tool and call it a day and I should be good to go?

Kyle
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
so the ptvc is not going to be an issue. I do not plan on a cam. I just have these heads and they are sitting around i figured i might as well put them to use rather then let them rott. My only issue is going to be the pushrods. So get the tool and call it a day and I should be good to go?

Kyle
Should be perfect! Again, same as any other install...measuring PtoV clearance, pushrod length, etc is important and should not be neglected!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
VVT in and of itself is not the problem on piston to valve clearance...rather, it's people throwing random lobes onto VVT cores, not installing the cam properly, and not tuning the advance correctly that causes it to interfere. Milling a head .030" is not a major concern for PtoV clearance on VVT if the installer/builder/tuner know what they are doing

Are you talking of using a VVT cam without a phase limiter and then tuning in the retard/advance limits? If not how does tuning affect ptv clearance when using a mechanical limiter?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I was actually talking about the VVT phaser tables in the PCM being adjusted properly. The limiter on the front of the engine limits the retard that can be run. But you can still play within that range by tweaking the tables in the PCM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Denali/l92 milled?