Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L99 Cam install with DOD delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L99 Cam install with DOD delete

Has anyone installed a set of the Lingenfelter LS9 heads specially made for the LS3 motor? I have a 2011 L99 Camaro and I’m going to do a cam install with a DOD delete and was wondering if anyone had gone in this direction yet.

If anyone has a favorite cam for the LS3 please tell me name and what you like about it.

Last, if anyone has put the new 3:91 gears in an L99 I would like to know if they liked it or not.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1: Search is your friend. These questions have been covered countless times.

2: LS9 heads are good heads, but theres much better to be had. The name of the game boils down to what you wanna spend.

Last edited by Tainted; 01-06-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
2: you dont have DoD (Displacement on Demand) you have VVT (Variable valve timing) which works with a cam phaser.
This is not correct. The L99 DOES have DOD (aka AFM) as well as VVT.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
This is not correct. The L99 DOES have DOD (aka AFM) as well as VVT.
Well ****! Thanks for that info! I thought it had to be one or the other. I will correct my previous post.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Well ****! Thanks for that info! I thought it had to be one or the other. I will correct my previous post.
Well educate me, who has a better head and why? Keep in mind that I like Titanium.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by No Hope
Well educate me, who has a better head and why? Keep in mind that I like Titanium.
First off what are your power goals for the car?
Where do you want the power at?
What do you want to spend on a set of heads?

Texas speed has some nice small bore ls3 style heads for $2100. They offer a better PTV clearance, and velocity over ls3 casting with the ability to run a bigger cam and increase your compression by milling. They would be a great budget head that can support quite a lot. The thread is still on this page so you should look through it (prc aftermarket 250cc heads now shipping) is the name of it I believe. Actually, here Ill link it for you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-shipping.html

If you have more $$ to spend then a set of Mast, AFR, Tea, tfs, all those make a fantastic heads but cost a bit more.

Are you A6 or M6? Your cam choice is very important too. Patrick G with EPS is one of.THE BEST cam gurus and for a measly $25 he will spec you a custom cam matched to your goals and car.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Launching!

First off what are your power goals for the car?
Where do you want the power at?
What do you want to spend on a set of heads?

Texas speed has some nice small bore ls3 style heads for $2100. They offer a better PTV clearance, and velocity over ls3 casting with the ability to run a bigger cam and increase your compression by milling. They would be a great budget head that can support quite a lot. The thread is still on this page so you should look through it (prc aftermarket 250cc heads now shipping) is the name of it I believe. Actually, here Ill link it for you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-shipping.html

If you have more $$ to spend then a set of Mast, AFR, Tea, tfs, all those make a fantastic heads but cost a bit more.

Are you A6 or M6? Your cam choice is very important too. Patrick G with EPS is one of.THE BEST cam gurus and for a measly $25 he will spec you a custom cam matched to your goals and car.
I have an L99. Thanks for the info. I'm going to have Patrick spec the cam. Would he be the best person to get head info from?

I want speed, I don't give a **** about Dyno numbers.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you get a cam spec'd you need to pick your heads and if you'll be using an intake or not. Then you can pay someone spec you a cam or you can just call Comp and they'll do it for free. The nice thing about L99's is that you have valve reliefs.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by litle88
Before you get a cam spec'd you need to pick your heads and if you'll be using an intake or not. Then you can pay someone spec you a cam or you can just call Comp and they'll do it for free. The nice thing about L99's is that you have valve reliefs.
That's my plan. I'm just learning about the different heads on an LS3. Its been 20 years since I've built a fast car.

I will take any info or advice.

Who is the Guru on this site for head and cam info. I'm not concerned about high Dyno numbers, I want low track times.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Launching!

1: Search is your friend. These questions have been covered countless times.

2: LS9 heads are good heads, but theres much better to be had. The name of the game boils down to what you wanna spend.
I've been searching till my eyes got blurry.

I've leaned the LS3 heads I have are good and even better when ported with a lighter valve set up.

Still searching, still learning.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've been searching till my eyes got blurry.

I've leaned the LS3 heads I have are good and even better when ported with a lighter valve set up.

Still searching, still learning.
Personally id get those prc ls3 heads, a ported stock intake, or a FAST if you can afford it. Then as said above, have the cam specd. Since you have an auto then youre going to need a stall and may need to beef up the a6 if you wanna push more than 600hp
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 PM

A local repair shop shipped us an engine (like yours) that had a bunch of bent valves because someone upgraded the engine with a hotter cam but didn't do their homework. We contacted Texas Speed, they sent us some parts, gave us some tech help etc etc. We had to do a little valve/piston clearance work, but the car is back together, and very fast, the owner is super happy, and I have to thank Texas Speed for that. Look them up.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mech45
A local repair shop shipped us an engine (like yours) that had a bunch of bent valves because someone upgraded the engine with a hotter cam but didn't do their homework. We contacted Texas Speed, they sent us some parts, gave us some tech help etc etc. We had to do a little valve/piston clearance work, but the car is back together, and very fast, the owner is super happy, and I have to thank Texas Speed for that. Look them up.

Somehow I don't think a Cam spec'ed by Patrick G is going to do that.

Also I won't need a stall if I tell Pat I don't want to go over 850 rpm at the idle
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Somehow I don't think a Cam spec'ed by Patrick G is going to do that.

Also I won't need a stall if I tell Pat I don't want to go over 850 rpm at the idle
A lot of that is dependent on how much overlap your cam has. And a poorly matched stall with a cam will be a dog and sacrifice driveability. Do lots of research and even ask pat or mtexas speed if you buy from them among other sponsors.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Who's the best shop for porting a head?

How's Livernois at porting heads?

What should I be looking for in a port job?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who's the best shop for porting a head?

How's Livernois at porting heads?

What should I be looking for in a port job?
livernois does a great job and has some nice ones already ported and assembled. saves some time with sending out and waiting to be ported and sent back, as you could sell your stock ones.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lingenfelter also does some very good work.

I have their heads and look really good. Can't beat it for the $$$

Quick Reply: L99 Cam install with DOD delete