Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 cam and head recommendations (CTS-V)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 cam and head recommendations (CTS-V)

Hey, Im really looking to do some pretty big mods throughout next year and was looking into a cam upgrade. I also am going to be purchasing kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers w. catted connections, new spark plugs, Hendrix anti wheel hop axles, Motor mounts (undecided on brand), and get the car tuned properly. Everything will be installed at the same time so if there is anything recommended I do since it will be in the shop please chime in...

Now I just have a few questions.

1)when people say "stall", what does that mean.
2)would my stock heads be sufficient enough for my mods, people say that my stock ls2 heads flow pretty good, and the price for complete head kits are pretty hefty, is it common for people to throw cams into stock longblocks?
3)along with the cam, is there anything else i should aquire that would benefit me down the road, or be more reliable? upgraded parts..
4)anyone know what the stock cts-v clutches are capable of hp wise? my car only has 35,000 miles and the clutch grabs hard, but later on down the road, i plan to have a ls7 clutch and flywheel installed (unless I can get everything for $400 for the kit)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a valvetrain upgrade.Cam pushrods and valvesprings.I have done this to three junkyard 6.0s and run 11s in the 1/4 mile.
"Stall" or stall speed for automatic transmissions.Depends on torque converter.
Don't replace you're clutch until you need to.Then you can tell the wife why you're buying a new clutch.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get yourself a solid valvetrain (double springs, titanium retainers, hardened pushrods) you will be able to put a serious cam in there and as far as the heads go if you even disassemble the the heads then clean them to showroom and smooth up the ports and bowls, which i mean not reshaping bc i didnt touch an machined surfaces in the bowl area, but cleaning up the casting slag in the ports/bowls...which i found a suprising amount of in my 243s...that combined with a cleaning of the valves and checking the valve seals would make a considerable upgrade that really only costs minimal cash but probably 5-6 hours of your time

the stall is the automatic transmission's way of "slipping the clutch" like a manual trans, anytime you punch the gas (like say at 1500 rpm) your rpms will climb to just south of 3600 rpms almost instantly, which will get you up into the operating range of the cam...

If you hook up the heads and put a cam in the high 230s, and im not sure if there are gears available for the cts-v? does it have irs? Do that cam and heads deal and that make your car very comparable to a brand new cts-v and by that i mean a luxury missle!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) stall is for torque converters ( automatics)

2) You can keep your stock 243's or 799's or some have both lol believe it or not but it's the same head. But I'd get a nice set of Trickflow or AFR 225's or the as cast 220's they are a Lil cheaper. Or you can get your 243's ported by a vendor too. Yes you can throw a cam in a stock long block. (I have a set of ARF's used cheap if interested check my itrader rating).

3) upgrade your lifters if you get the heads off, chromoly pushrods, melling oil pump, Katech timing chain and get a good set of springs that will go good with the cam.

4) as stated above get the clutch after you wear the stock one out.

5) consider a FAST if you do heads too.

I would go with a VRX5 or bigger from vengeance. I had the tfs as cast version heads and a vrx5 cam and fast 90 with a 90mm tb and all bolt ons it put down 456 on a mustang dyno. Probably a few more if I had the AFR's on because they are fully cncd.

Hope that helps
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you looking for a nice drive-able mild cam or just for drag? I wouldn't leave the 230's if you want a nice street car. In fact the cam I'm using in my car is a 228/232 114 lsa spinmonster cam.. I'm doing ls3 heads, ported l76 on my car. I bought this guys set up but I'm doing slightly more things... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBmFS...layer_embedded
Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice vette
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

I really just want to do cams and upgraded valvetrain. the stock heads would suffice and with the $1500+ pricetag for the heads, it will get too expensive for my budget.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by family-man
I really just want to do cams and upgraded valvetrain. the stock heads would suffice and with the $1500+ pricetag for the heads, it will get too expensive for my budget.
Family man as a V owner on a similar budget I would really like you to update this tread or Pm me when you make the mods. I am CPO warranty till 2013 so I am a ways away from a cam. But a cam on stock heads is the route I am looking towards. Being in Atlanta I hope to get some help from Vengence Racing, with luck they can talk me into heads....
Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're not touching the heads due to budget, then why did you ask about "head and cam" recommendation?

The 243s flow great and will not hold you back at all based on the fact that you get a cam to match them as they sit. If you get a big cam then yeah they might hold you back a bit, but with a good matched cam they should make plenty of power.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Imstock2
Are you looking for a nice drive-able mild cam or just for drag? I wouldn't leave the 230's if you want a nice street car.
I disagree, you can still have a vrx5
here is their product info. What you would need is a TUNER that know what their doing!

Product Description
236/238 .601/.605 113 LSA. Excellent Midrange and Top end Power. Extremely choppy idle. 2100-6800 RPM Power Band. Computer Tuning Required with this camshaft. We suggest the use of Dual Gold Springs with this camshaft. ** Our #1 Camshaft in daily driven LS2 equipped Vettes/GTOs/CTSVs.**

https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/pr...7D.605-113-LSA

Quick Reply: LS2 cam and head recommendations (CTS-V)