Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New hot rod mag results

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New hot rod mag results

How about that article in the new hot rod mag? Ain't nothin like an 800hp 495 cubic inch beast...

The article also confirms what I already believes Nd that is that mast black label heads are the best on the market...
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a link? I just checked their site and didn't see anything.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

It might not be on there bc the
Magazine just came out yesterday...they tested ls7 heads from GM, Texas speed, mast, procomp (lol), lingenfelter, and scroggin dickey...mast reigns supreme
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've noticed with magazines and tv shows like horsepower, trucks...etc the "best" usually means the company that pays the magazine/tv show the most for the publicity. Magazine companies don't stay in business by selling magazines.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
I've noticed with magazines and tv shows like horsepower, trucks...etc the "best" usually means the company that pays the magazine/tv show the most for the publicity. Magazine companies don't stay in business by selling magazines.
sad but true
Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you think Toyota keeps getting the JD Power Award.? It ain't because of that "Aluminum Trans" that they came out with... The public is so Ignorant to how things work..
Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do wish they had the rest of the details about the test and that the variances that actually existed in chamber size were noted in the article.

That being said....Best average power and value = PRC. WOOT! We are very happy with the results after seeing the big picture!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

But the guy with more money than brains that picks up the latest issue of hot rod won't see the big picture like we do...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^Nope, but that's life

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Perhaps I'll boycott hot rod...not that any other mag is any different.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been checking around for LS7 heads the last several months. Some brands were not in the test including All-Pro, and Livernois. Some vendors like Trick Flow, TEA and AFR do not even have LS7 heads on the market. But, the PRC heads are a *great* value cost and performance wise! As long as the machine work and components are top notch, then there should not be a problem.

Good job Texas Speed!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were the tsp heads run with titanium valves? the article makes it appear that way, but the price of 2699 is for the hollow valves. are you guys going to have a tax season special on these as in the past? im waiting
Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I do wish they had the rest of the details about the test and that the variances that actually existed in chamber size were noted in the article.

!
Speaking of PRC in the mag, what ever happened to the rumor of PRC participating in a LS7 head challange? Did this ACTUALLY happen? If so, any data or links?

thanks,
Jim
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Do you guys honestly believe that a company pays the magazine to lie, I mean I don't care what company comes Out on top because I'm not vested in any of the companies I just thought 800 hp on a NA ls engine was cool...I don't buy parts based on magazines either...why does everybody get mad that the test didn't prove THEIR heads were the best...I'm sure that the dyno doesn't lie, bc they showed that mast didn't make the best FLOW BENCH numbers but still came out on top as far as horsepower...

And besides all of that all the engines where within 2% of each other hp/tq wise and I know none of your butt dynos would know the difference! But it was a good article to show the flow bench doesn't determine a better head it only gives a reference to go by...it just shows that an rhs tall deck block 495 stroker likes the mast heads....plus they used a mast intake so now wonder they were 3 hp above second place...sometimes you guys are ridiculous on your comments...who doesn't think a 495 ls making 800hp and 700+tq...nobody on this forum I hope
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Really dude? Wake up. It's all about the fattest wallet these days. Why do you think on xtreme 4x4 on spike, everything they build has an arb air locker in it? Even on the "budget" rigs.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too believe that mags talk up sponsors products and i hate it even more when theyre building their own cars at a discount while writing reveiws. are they really going to bad talk the EMS front drive that they were either given free or at a discount? does anybody believe that they just wanted to use an EMS drive?

but i dont believe that theyre going to lie with the results of a test like this. hide some info that may make the sponsor look bad? sure. put a base price for the mast heads but run the $3500 version? maybe. but change results? i cant buy that. like said above, all the heads came out really close. since mast advertises i would have expected them to show pretty decent gains over the second place head. since they didnt, ive set my mind for the time being on the prc stuff.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

I cant believe you guys think it is a conspriacy out there, who was on the grassy knoll mast or scroggins? But for real I think they are all close and even the cheaply made procomps made for power than the factory heads...it was a good article no matter what the critics say, and even if one head had titanium valves and one had hollow...that stuff is so minuscule that it shows in the very close numbers...I myself have always liked the mast products even though I can't afford them lol...I have seen a few specials on the insides of their company and they are hot rodders like you and me plus they use the latest and greatest when it comes to engineering technology and manufacturing processing, and again maybe I havent seen inside other companies which I'm sure use similar methods...
Old 01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Speaking of PRC in the mag, what ever happened to the rumor of PRC participating in a LS7 head challange? Did this ACTUALLY happen? If so, any data or links?

thanks,
Jim
I just got the HotRod issue that answers my question. I think HR screwed this head swap up again.(like the 4.250 stroke LS3). I wish they would use a short block that would be more common to MOST hotrodders. 416LS3 or 427LS7 or stroked to 440 for the LS7 head swap. I was anxiously waiting for the mag to run after reading TSP participated in it only to be let down AGAIN. On the bright side, TSP's PRC head had a good showing. Too bad they didn't includ PRCs 265LS7 too.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand your desire for a typical application in the test. I believe Hot Rod performed the test on a 495CI engine to demonstrate the capacity of the heads. The theory being that if they make good power with a large engine, then they will even be better with something 50CI smaller.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I just got the HotRod issue that answers my question. I think HR screwed this head swap up again.(like the 4.250 stroke LS3). I wish they would use a short block that would be more common to MOST hotrodders. 416LS3 or 427LS7 or stroked to 440 for the LS7 head swap. I was anxiously waiting for the mag to run after reading TSP participated in it only to be let down AGAIN. On the bright side, TSP's PRC head had a good showing. Too bad they didn't includ PRCs 265LS7 too.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I agree with you guys...I've never even seen someone running a 495 stroker...I would have rather seen some 402 or 408 head testing...

Quick Reply: New hot rod mag results