Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need help selecting the right cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help selecting the right cylinder heads

I'm in the process of building a 416ci LS3 based stroker for my 98 Camaro and I need help selecting cylinder heads. I have my list narrowed down to the last 3 finalists. Here's my build list:

Wiseco -15cc Pistons
Eagle 4" stroked crank
Eagle 6.125" H Beam rods
Procharger D1SC (15-18 psi boost)
Spec'd Boost Cam
Fast 102mm Ported Intake

That's the basics now here's the 3 finalists:
1. AFR's 230's (Mamofied)
2. Mast LS3 Black Labels
3. PRC's Small bore LS7's from Texas Speed

All with the lightweight Intake valves

Please tell me which ones and why. Thanks in advanced, oh and by the way this is my first LS engine build.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i read that the mast ls3 heads are pretty good ... flow good and cant beat their quality...
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the PRC LS7 small bores. They have some bad *** flow numbers and would be a good choice on any boosted engine above 400+ cubes. I would use them if I had a 4.065 or larger bore. Plus the advantage of 6 bolts

Since you mention these heads, don't forget RHS makes an LS7 head with the same valves so you can run them on a small bore also.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I like the PRC LS7 small bores. They have some bad *** flow numbers and would be a good choice on any boosted engine above 400+ cubes. I would use them if I had a 4.065 or larger bore. Plus the advantage of 6 bolts

Since you mention these heads, don't forget RHS makes an LS7 head with the same valves so you can run them on a small bore also.
Oh okay, I'm going to have to check into that. I was really high on the AFR catherdral port heads until I got to seeing the excellent flow numbers on these rectangular port heads. I'm really feeling those Mast heads. Everyone I spoke to about them all talk high of them. As far as the PRC heads, I just have'nt talked to too many people running the PRC heads. But I like the thought of an LS7 style head on a 4.065" bore.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bigg_roche1
Oh okay, I'm going to have to check into that. I was really high on the AFR catherdral port heads until I got to seeing the excellent flow numbers on these rectangular port heads. I'm really feeling those Mast heads. Everyone I spoke to about them all talk high of them. As far as the PRC heads, I just have'nt talked to too many people running the PRC heads. But I like the thought of an LS7 style head on a 4.065" bore.
Don't count the AFR's out though. You are able to run a stock valvetrain with them. You have to get the offset LS7 rockers for LS7 heads if you go that route and LS3 rockers if you go that route.

There is a member here running AFR 230's on a 370 motor and just ran a 9.0 pass in a full weight f-body on 20psi.

Then this member 1972nova built a 370 also and used 230's and put down a sick 1017 rwhp on 17 psi and e85.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lsx-build.html

I would PM or email Tony Mamo to see if it would be wise to step up to the 245's for a 416, if you go the AFR route.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Yea we've talked, I'm just exploring other options to see how the other heads performed on similar setups as to what I'm building.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the PRC small bore LS7s would be a great match for this build. While they will need an LS7 style valvetrain I think the power potential is very well worth it. That big valve and big runner will really help move air especially in a boosted setup. We haven't had any results from boosted motors that I know of, but the results we have seen from the N/A motors have looked pretty good in my opinion.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Don't count the AFR's out though. You are able to run a stock valvetrain with them. You have to get the offset LS7 rockers for LS7 heads if you go that route and LS3 rockers if you go that route.

There is a member here running AFR 230's on a 370 motor and just ran a 9.0 pass in a full weight f-body on 20psi.

Then this member 1972nova built a 370 also and used 230's and put down a sick 1017 rwhp on 17 psi and e85.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lsx-build.html

I would PM or email Tony Mamo to see if it would be wise to step up to the 245's for a 416, if you go the AFR route.
That Nova in your post is running all pro heads. You really dont want to count out All Pro.

Mark Carlyle (atomicfusion) the fastest LS MPH (209) in the world runs all pro heads
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
We haven't had any results from boosted motors that I know of, but the results we have seen from the N/A motors have looked pretty good in my opinion.
John,

How about some data showing the PRC small bore LS7 heads.??? TSP was keeping "us" informed on the progress of bringing these to market. How about a stock LS3 and a LS3418 stroker head comparison? SUPER CHEVY has a TSP LS3 418 stroker they are doing dyno testing on. Why not send them the small bore LS7 heads and a TSP cam and surprise EVERYONE on the power you guys cam make?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

yea wonder where all pros landed on the list if outside the top 3 and why?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
yea wonder where all pros landed on the list if outside the top 3 and why?
That top 3 was the heads that I am or was choosing for my build up. I don't know anything about or anyone running All Pros, that's why I made this thread to try and find the best head for my combo. This is my first LS engine build, so I'm coming on here looking for help to chose a cylinder head that would be best for my engine. I'm not concerned with what type of valvetrain I'm going to have to change to because whichever head I run I'm going to have to buy new valvetrain because I have none. I'm building a motor from a bare block. So basically everything is going to be bought new. I just don't want to go through 3 sets of anything be it heads or cams to find good power. I'm hoping to get 700 - 750 to the wheels if possible and still keep some good street manners full body and AC too. So if you have a setup similar to mines and don't mind sharing some info to a new LS fanatic then I'm all ears.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Launching!

If you liked the AFR's... had you thought about TFS 235 or 245's? Seem pretty popular as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of the heads you listed, I like the MAST but having owned none, it is only an opinion. All will likely deliver a ton of power with 18 lbs of boost.

Couple suggestions for your build. First, D1 is really not enough blower to get the boost you want with 400+ cubes. F1A, while a lot noisier, is what you should consider as a minimum. Second, you don't need a ton of cubic inches on a FI motor - stock stroke & crank with aftermarket rods & pistons can get you to 1000 rwhp in a properly set up engine. Last, depending on your head choice & power goals you may not need the FAST intake - LS3 or LS6 intakes are capable of huge power on blown engines.

Get a hold of Bob at Brute Speed and talk over what you want - he is the expert on Prochargers on this forum. Look for him over on FI section.

What is your total budget for this effort including rear end, transmission, engine etc?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Since I didn't mention All-Pro's and you didn't either thats why I stayed with the heads you listed. If money is no object then by all means all the way with the All-Pro's.

Koolrays: I didn't know that guy switched over to All-Pro's.

There's the other guy out in Colorado that is on yellobullet that has that greenish color nova running 8.20's with All-Pro's and a 370 motor.

This is when he had the 346 in it

Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by COPO9560
Of the heads you listed, I like the MAST but having owned none, it is only an opinion. All will likely deliver a ton of power with 18 lbs of boost.

Couple suggestions for your build. First, D1 is really not enough blower to get the boost you want with 400+ cubes. F1A, while a lot noisier, is what you should consider as a minimum. Second, you don't need a ton of cubic inches on a FI motor - stock stroke & crank with aftermarket rods & pistons can get you to 1000 rwhp in a properly set up engine. Last, depending on your head choice & power goals you may not need the FAST intake - LS3 or LS6 intakes are capable of huge power on blown engines.

Get a hold of Bob at Brute Speed and talk over what you want - he is the expert on Prochargers on this forum. Look for him over on FI section.

What is your total budget for this effort including rear end, transmission, engine etc?

The D1 is what I already have along with the Eagle crank and rods. So my buildup is based around that. I had a choice between the 416 and 408 iron block, I chose the 416. Depending on what head I use will determine intake. My budget on motor is in the neighborhood of 10 - 12K.

Quick Reply: Need help selecting the right cylinder heads