Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Turbo LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Turbo LQ9

I have recently bought a LQ9 out of a wrecked 2005 Escalade to put in my 2002 Firebird. The 6 cylinder took a crap and I was wanting to drop the Lq9 in there and make it a pretty sweet street/strip car. Here is what I was thinking. Prc Ls3 Aftermarket 6-bolt 250cc CNC clylinder heads, Comps Cams LSR turbo 277LTB HR15 cam, Fast LSXR 102mm ls3 intake manifold w/ Fast 102mm throttlebodie and Fast LSXR Billet Fuel Rail kit, Shaft mount aluminum rocker arms RHS Pro Elite 1.7:1 ratio, Endure-X solid roller lifters: GM LS, Bosch 127lb High Impedence injectors, Comp Cams Ls2 ajustable timing set, Meziere LS Electric Street Water Pump (55GPM), Hooker Longtube Headers, Corsa sport dual rear exit twin pro series 3.5" tips, Turbonetics intercooler w/ wastegate kit and blow off valve. And finally a Turbonetics Billet GT-K 700 turbo. Tell me what you guys think and what you would do instead.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea what are you going to do with the drive train ?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

I was going to use the automatic transmission out of the 6 cylinder and get an aftermrket torque converter and maybe throw a new rear end on there with a 4.11 gearing. If th 6 cylinder transmission wont work I can always go back to where i bought the engine from and pick up the transmission that was in the same Escalade as the LQ9.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Booom!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Teching In

yelo04goat, Booom? And how do you like your turbo setup on your automatic and how are the AFR heads, was looking at both of those.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Depending on how tall your rear tires are, youre probably gonna wanna go quite a bit lower(numerically) with your rear gear. You gotta have something on there thatll load up that turbo.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Teching In

I was going to brake boost at the track and I will have 2 sets of wheels. A set for the track and a set for everyday driving.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 AM

Yea what are you going to do with the drive train ?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Moser 9" rear end assembly with a 4:11 gearing
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For gears, I'd go something closer to a 3.50 gear or less with a turbo setup. With the kinda power your going to be making, you won't need a steep gear.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Op you need to go to the turbo section and read up a little bit.

Why are you using solid lifters on a HR cam? You are not building a high rpm set up with a stock lq9.

127lb injectors? Get real.
Long tubes on a turbo setup? Are you lost?

317's will work fine. No need for LS3's
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Op you need to go to the turbo section and read up a little bit.

Why are you using solid lifters on a HR cam? You are not building a high rpm set up with a stock lq9.

127lb injectors? Get real.
Long tubes on a turbo setup? Are you lost?

317's will work fine. No need for LS3's
The "are you lost comment" got me....OP if you want to put something together and need some help shoot me a PM and I'll get you going in the right direction.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
The "are you lost comment" got me....OP if you want to put something together and need some help shoot me a PM and I'll get you going in the right direction.
I had to. I guess I'm the type of person that will sit back and read and then ask a question, instead of coming out full bore and embarass myself.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Teching In

I'm just trying to get into the full drag seen because my last car was a 1998 z28 with just an exhaust. I was really hoping for a high 10 second or lower car. I could really use the advice. And as for the setup, nothing is set in stone. The setup is just what my buddie runs minus the turbo, cam, exhaust, and his is in an older 80s camaro.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TurboF-body
I'm just trying to get into the full drag seen because my last car was a 1998 z28 with just an exhaust. I was really hoping for a high 10 second or lower car. I could really use the advice. And as for the setup, nothing is set in stone. The setup is just what my buddie runs minus the turbo, cam, exhaust, and his is in an older 80s camaro.
A turbo setup is a totally different animal compared to what your buddy has. I am assuming he is running naturally aspirated or on nitrous, so right there is a big difference. A turbo system has the exhaust running through the turbo unlike N/A, nitrous, or supercharged, hence my longtube header comment.

I also doubt that your buddy has 127 lb injectors in an 80's model camaro. That is alot of injector for anything around the cubes of an ls1 or lq9 on pump or race fuel. You will mostly need maybe a 60lb injector. If you go E85 then you will need more injector.

Here is a little list that alot of guys have used to run in the 10's on the cheap

stock LQ4 or LQ9
ls6 cam (this can also be replaced with a lingenfelter Gt2-3 or TU1 from Speed Inc)
T76 turbo
60lb injectors
3.08, 3.23, 3.55 gears (take your pick)
ls6 intake
stock rockers
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Teching In

That's my bad. I forgot to add that he also doesn't have that big of injectors. I also don't know a lot about injectors so I just said the 127lb injectors because I figured those would work. As for the headers, I just had some that I was going to order and I don't have to. I was going to just wield a pipe going from the headers to the intercooler and then onto the intake. But after reading the pages in the turbo section, what I was thinking was very stupid and would be a waste of headers. Martin Tick is going to get me set on the right track as for the whole engine setup and I will be adding to the page with updates in what I'm doing to the car and as soon as it is finished I will have videos up on here of it running.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

I was going to just wield a pipe going from the headers to the intercooler and then onto the intake.
Let me know how that works out
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

That's my bad. I forgot to add that he also doesn't have that big of injectors. I also don't know a lot about injectors so I just said the 127lb injectors because I figured those would work. As for the headers, I just had some that I was going to order and I don't have to. I was going to just wield a pipe going from the headers to the intercooler and then onto the intake. But after reading the pages in the turbo section, what I was thinking was very stupid and would be a waste of headers. Martin Tick is going to get me set on the right track as for the whole engine setup and I will be adding to the page with updates in what I'm doing to the car and as soon as it is finished I will have videos up on here of it running.
Ok...I'm going to help you out here. What I meant about not running 127lb injectors is that he is not running any at all. Most likely he has a carburetor on his motor.

You are just spitting things out into the air that makes no sense. You haven't done any research into the turbo world of anything. Just put the escalade motor in your car and forget the turbo idea. Run around with it on the motor and then once you have researched and read up on how turbo systems work then maybe you can tackle putting one on your car.

As of right now, don't post anymore about parts and so forth. Just ask small questions when you can. If you see somebody with a turbo build with a motor like you have, just ask them simple questions so you can get a grasp of how things work.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Teching In

First off, his car has an Lq4 in it and has an ls2 intake on it. Which means it does have injectors. But I am taking your advice on asking people questions about turbo setups and how to get the best setup for my car. Plus, the only reason i posted about the parts is that was similar to what my buddy runs and I was just adding to it and decided to see what you guys think because I'm sure you guys know more than my friend.

Quick Reply: Turbo LQ9