Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

High Compression/Nitrous 447 C5Z CMS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Compression/Nitrous 447 C5Z CMS Build Thread

I'm currently in the process of finishing up my 447 build. The shortblock is almost finished being put together and the heads should be on their way back soon. I am having all the work done by Cunningham Motorsports. Ever since I saw how good his C6Z always ran on NA 427, I have been wanting a big cube NA motor too. Here's what's going into this build.

C5R block
WCCH LS7 heads angle milled to 58cc Compression will be 14.5:1
Wiesco Forged 4.155 bore piston
Compstar Forged Crank 4.125 stroke
Compstar Forged H-Beam 6.125 rods
Fast 102mm Intake Manifold (Hand ported in shop)
4 solenoid Nitrous Outlet Direct port (Will be jetted for 250+shot)
2" American Racing Headers with Cat-less X-Pipe
Walbro 465 E85 Fuel Pump
MSD Boost-a-pump

Can't wait for all this to be done and see what kind of power I can get out of this set-up. I wanted a set-up that could dabble in just about every type of car event. I really like taking the car out on the road course so I wanted to stay NA for that but there are times I like to take it out for Airstrip/ drag racing events and the nitrous set up will add to that to give it that extra power when I want it. I'll be updating the thread as things start coming together a bit more.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I only had my cell phone at the time I'll get better pictures once things start becoming assembled.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Can't get any closer to my build with a touch more compression....
Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice solid build. Keep us updated!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Apologies for taking so long to get an update on this. The short block has been back from the machine shop for a few weeks now but haven't had a chance to take good pictures. The LS7 heads just got back from WCCH after their amazing port work. I just ordered the Holley black krinkle valve covers and the big Ron Davis radiator with oil cooler built it. The car already has a Doug Rippie oil cooler on it but I'll feel better having two coolers on this car for the track use.

I'm currently in the process of port patching the FAST Intake manifold to the heads so there's a nice smooth flow of air. Pretty time consuming process but should be well worth the extra hp gained! We are looking at taking the old motor out on the 9th of August so look for more updates as things start wrapping up. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow or early next week of everything.

Here's two pictures I did take with my phone right before I started port-matching the intake.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Teching In

oh also one more thing, for right now we are just going to stick with my single nozzle setup for the nitrous. We decided to back off on spraying anything bigger than a 150 for now. With how high the compression is and running stock casting heads I don't want to take a chance of lifting the heads from all the cylinder pressure. Maybe down the road I will swap to a set of Brodix or something and then up the shot but for now I'll be happy with how it's going to be.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice nice Good progress soo far, getting head work sure sometimes takes a while specially for shipping back an forth.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Alright so a quick update, I went ahead and took apart the FAST manifold so that I could port match it to the heads. First time porting so I was a little on the nervous side but it turned out pretty good.

Once I got that all lined up, I had to give Richard a call over at WCCH to find out if i should go ahead and port a little more out of the intake port on the heads because they were raised a little higher than the bottom of the FAST manifold. This was due to the angle mill that we did to bump the compression more. He gave me the go ahead so I went ahead and matched it up at the bottom to get a nice clean flow.

This was how it looked after I port matched all sides of the intake manifold to the heads except for the bottom due to the head port being higher than the intake side. I didn't want to port the head side until I got the go ahead from WCCH.

Once I got the go ahead this was the after picture. Nice and smooth airflow.

I took my time trying to get it all worked out perfect and didn't want to mess anything up since this was my first time really getting into port work. While I was doing the porting I took the time to go ahead and paint the upper shell to make it look a little nicer.

I also went ahead and took a few more pics of the parts I just received just to give you guys some more pictures to look at lol.

Things are really coming together and should be pulling the old motor on the 9th of August at CMS. Can't wait!!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice build!
What are the cam specs that you are going to run?

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by saccitycorvette
Nice build!
What are the cam specs that you are going to run?
Lol I was waiting for someone to ask that. It's a custom grind cam. Not sure if my tuner really wants the specs out there but let's just say it's a very healthy 24x/26x
Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Looking like a pretty big cam.

What rockers are you going to run? So did you get rid of the hollow exhaust valves and go stainless?

Thanks
Christian

Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Yes got rid of the stock hollow valves as they are a nuisance lol. Went with WCCH stage 2 head work so they switch them out to stainless. And we will be using LS7 Rockers with trunnion upgrade.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hi,
Why not a roller setup to take some of the friction off the valve that
might be causing the LS7 guides to wear prematurely. Have you herd about the guide wear issue?

Christian

Old 08-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Hi,
Why not a roller setup to take some of the friction off the valve that
might be causing the LS7 guides to wear prematurely. Have you herd about the guide wear issue?

Christian
Yea I have heard but my friends ls7 has been fine since he did his h/c and he frequently road races the car. Solid rollers require a lot of maintenance. Also since Im not running a sheet metal intake theres no reason to rev past 7500 on these heads. The fast 102 just wont flow enough to take advantage of a solid roller setu so itd be a waste of money.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by MySelfAffliction
Yea I have heard but my friends ls7 has been fine since he did his h/c and he frequently road races the car. Solid rollers require a lot of maintenance. Also since Im not running a sheet metal intake theres no reason to rev past 7500 on these heads. The fast 102 just wont flow enough to take advantage of a solid roller setu so itd be a waste of money.
Sorry I mean't Roller Rocker setup.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Oh I apologize, I should have known that's what you meant since you were asking just before which rockers I was using! We've seen more issues with aftermarket roller rockers than with dealing with the stock ls7's. It's pretty much a waste to switch out to aftermarket rollers imo. CMS has used ls7 rockers in 1200hp builds with no issues as many other shops. Even Katech prefers the stock LS7's over any aftermarket ones.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks, good info. Do you know what rockers the C6R is using? I'm curious if they are using LS7 rockers?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks, good info. Do you know what rockers the C6R is using? I'm curious if they are using LS7 rockers?
I don't have a clue what they are running actually.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Teching In

On Friday the car went into the shop at Cunningham Motorsports. We were able to get the engine and rear cradle down and out of the car, and we also started putting the new motor together.

Heads are now on the short block and all measurements have been done, now just gotta finish putting it together and swap the engine

On Monday, I'm going to go through and clean up all the parts since they are pretty filthy from my track day at chuckwalla. I had a bit too much fun and went off track on one of the turns so dirt and dust got EVERYWHERE lol. This is a good time to really clean it all up. Should also have the new motor back together and swapped in tomorrow. We'll see how far we get and I'll be sure to update again.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Teching In

So on Monday Ryne and Texas Mike stayed late working on the car, Had to modify the new bell housing because the 2inch headers wouldn't fit!!

After a long day we finally got the motor up and into the car...

Here it is just before we put it in the car...

Next day my vacation from work ended so I no longer could really help, but Texas and Ryne got back to work on the car and got a lot done with the suspension and wiring. Then they found the slave was leaking so had to drop the torque tube again to replace the slave. After that they got everything all together and then today they couldn't get the NW 102 to clear the water pump so ended up having to use a LS7 water pump to get it to clear. But after ALL that.....the moment has come....IT RUNS!!!!!!!

Here's a quick video of it idling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXNZ...ature=youtu.be

So excited now, can't wait to hear it in person and get the tuning all done with it.

Quick Reply: High Compression/Nitrous 447 C5Z CMS Build Thread