Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 with intermittently low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 with intermittently low oil pressure

Last night when idling my 2006 CTS-V in a parking spot I noticed my oil pressure was only 19 psi instead of the usual 30(800 rpm, 185* oil temp). I turned it off, restarted immediately and it was back to 30 psi. Strange...

It won't do it all the time, but I found that when getting off the freeway and stopping on the off ramp it was likely to happen. Every time it shows 19 psi oil pressure I can turn off, restart and it is back at 30 psi at the same rpm. I then might have to drive 5-10 miles before it would do it again.

I did verify the problem with a mechanical pressure gauge. The car has had a new oil pump, pickup tube, and o-ring within the last 7,000 miles or so. Mobil 1 oil and filter. After having my oil pump fail once and then later my pickup tube break, I probably watch the oil pressure gauge as much as the road. I am 10000% sure it has the right o-ring installed and it is in correctly.

This is in a 2006 CTS-V with 150k miles or so. Original LS2 with cam and springs. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? It's been such a headache to keep good oil pressure in this motor!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had an ls1 car that kept doing that to me years before starting TMS. I was not sure what it was but had the same symptoms. Shut the car off and start it back and the pressure would come back. It eventually let me to having to tow the car from Pensacola FL to Dallas TX when it kicked the bearings out of it.
Knowing what I know now with thousands of LS builds completed I would recommend 2 things.
First of all get rid of the thin mobile 1. I understand that it is what GM recommends but in years of testing oils we have found that conventional motor oil that is a little heavier works MUCH better and will greatly increase the life of the motor.
Secondly don't get too far from home. Once you start to have oil pressure issues especially in the LS2 cars you are not far from stacking the rod bearings. We have seen more LS2 motors spin rod bearings than all other LS based motors combined.
If we can help you with the problem or finding a solution feel free to call us, best of luck with the motor.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Teching In

So you didn't tear that motor apart when it failed? Just curious what did it. I checked a few rod bearings when I did the pickup tube 1000 miles ago. They looked perfect. When I installed the cam a year ago, the cam bearings did show some wear, but nothing worse than any other I've seen.

I'm debating whether I keep driving it or tear it down for inspection. I'd hate to get it apart and not find anything obvious. If it needed a rebuild I'd probably just pick up a LS3 to put in.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

I did tear it down and found the mains were gone. The rods actually looked pretty good.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thompson
I did tear it down and found the mains were gone. The rods actually looked pretty good.
Do these typically toast the block if the mains go?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thompson
I had an ls1 car that kept doing that to me years before starting TMS. I was not sure what it was but had the same symptoms. Shut the car off and start it back and the pressure would come back. It eventually let me to having to tow the car from Pensacola FL to Dallas TX when it kicked the bearings out of it.
Knowing what I know now with thousands of LS builds completed I would recommend 2 things.
First of all get rid of the thin mobile 1. I understand that it is what GM recommends but in years of testing oils we have found that conventional motor oil that is a little heavier works MUCH better and will greatly increase the life of the motor.
Secondly don't get too far from home. Once you start to have oil pressure issues especially in the LS2 cars you are not far from stacking the rod bearings. We have seen more LS2 motors spin rod bearings than all other LS based motors combined.
If we can help you with the problem or finding a solution feel free to call us, best of luck with the motor.
same boat I am in with mine now. But the same piston and rod that the bearing spun on has a mark on top of the piston from a valve
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iambigperm
Do these typically toast the block if the mains go?
If the mains stay in place you are typically ok. If they spin you are putting a band aid on it in the best case scenario. Look for color in the caps and block. Once they change to black (even in small spots) I would replace it. They will commonly fail once they change color.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Teching In

After finding what looked like bearing material(silver flakes) in the oil filter I tore it down today. Surprisingly all the bearings(rod, main, cam) look fine.

The only other thing I found was some small metal specs in the oil pressure relief valve bore. The metal particles were small enough that it was very hard to get a photo. There were also some scratches on the relief piston. If I worked the relief piston back and forth in the bore, it wanted to bind if there was any side to side pressure put on it.

Not really sure where to go from here. The only thing left to pull are the pistons. After going in to this engine for a third time in a year, it seems like any further repairs would be another band-aid, even though it looks extremely clean inside. Seems like a run of bad luck here. Maybe it would be better to start over with a LS3. I'd really hate to have to take it apart again. Any ideas from the gurus out there?

What looks like it could be lint in the photo below is actually metal specs. This oil pump has probably 7k miles.

Quick Reply: LS2 with intermittently low oil pressure