Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need help diagnosing a noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help diagnosing a noise

Hey guys need help figuring out what this sound might be, anyways went to track last night made 7 or so passes, missed 3rd once and over reved it by accendent. Got home pulled in the garage and heard this noise. Car is Cammed and has all supporting mods for it, pulled the valve cover off the driverside and everything looked and felt fine, i even lubed up the pulleys just to eliminate that. I cannot pinpoint the exact location of the sound just know its coming from the driver side of the motor. I used a stethoscope and couldnt find nor hear the same noise, but when i took the stethoscope out of my ears i could still here the noise. I searched every where on the engine coulndt find anything with the stethoscope, i have noticed it only does it when the motor is warmup. Doesnt effect performance, but i dont want to drive with that sound until i know what it is. All info would be apperciated!

Vid:
Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a lifter/rocker on every revolution and another every other time or two. Sure there is no slop in the valvetrain?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

What about the passenger side? I had this same problem unfortunately I ended up tracking the problem around the engine unable to pin point. After changing lifters the noise was still there. Ended up pulling the motor out of frustration and found a bent rod. It was running fine sitting in the garage one loud bang under the hood and that was all she wrote. Same noise mine had a ms4 and everything to support it. Was told by the people who built the engine it was caused by detonation in the cylinder. Hope you don't have this same problem just figured id give you something to think about.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Sounds like a lifter/rocker on every revolution and another every other time or two. Sure there is no slop in the valvetrain?
a few rockers have the slight play, wiggle from side to side, only when that valve is closed. Just to be safe i will re torque to spec. but everything else seems fine
Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JSlayman22
What about the passenger side? I had this same problem unfortunately I ended up tracking the problem around the engine unable to pin point. After changing lifters the noise was still there. Ended up pulling the motor out of frustration and found a bent rod. It was running fine sitting in the garage one loud bang under the hood and that was all she wrote. Same noise mine had a ms4 and everything to support it. Was told by the people who built the engine it was caused by detonation in the cylinder. Hope you don't have this same problem just figured id give you something to think about.
I never pulled the valve cover on the passenger side but i did use the stethoscope and found nothing. i was thinking it could be a lifter issue, but idk, i did over rev it at the track yesterday when i missed 3rd. Theres no way to tell if i had detonation cuz i didnt have my hptuners with me to log passes. I might be in the same boat as you where.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your pushrods and make sure they are still straight
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

I'd start cheap and check pr and lifter adjustment on both sides. I could have sworn my noise was in the passenger side head area and come to find out it was in the bottom. But it's free to pull the valve covers and check.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JSlayman22
I'd start cheap and check pr and lifter adjustment on both sides. I could have sworn my noise was in the passenger side head area and come to find out it was in the bottom. But it's free to pull the valve covers and check.
Ya i planned on pulling the rockers and pushrods off today, i just dont know what size the crank pulley bolt is to turn the motor over by hand to close the valves
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

24 mm.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Pulled both covers off, all rockers and pushrods are good. Put them all back on tq. them to spec and let it idle same thing. So next thing maybe pull the heads and check out the lifters out. Even thou it has ls7 lifter one might have a sound to it. Cheapest way at the moment.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah man that's the next step. This is to familiar for me I was on and off with the heads had them checked for a bent valve which may also be something your want to do while it's apart. I pulled a ls7 lifter apart and although people say they do fail I really don't see how unless your pr were too long and you were on it like that over reving and such. Just my opinion. In my case the bottom of the piston was rubbing the counter weight on the crank. It would def be worth either pulling the plugs or while the heads are off (just so compression isn't building) turning it over and feeling it. I could tell right away something was rubbing when I did this.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing a noise