Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lifter failed chewed up lobe on cam. just a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter failed chewed up lobe on cam. just a few questions.

UPDATED WITH NEW PICS....Had a lifter fail on my 09 g8 gt. Their notorious for it. Well I have it all apart. Just one lifter failed. And chewed up on lobe alittle. It wasn't even a dod lifter that failed. It was a stock lifter. Anyways I want to flush out the motor of metal shavings. I have the oil pump and pickup out and oil pan is off.and cam is out. Engine still in car. Cam bearings look good. Was wondering what I could use to pour down the lifter bores to flush out any metal shavings? Could I use diesel fuel? Or should I buy some cans of carb cleaner and flush it out with that? And when flushing it out should I hand turn the crank to spin the motor or would the metal shavings go around the crank and wash out ? Just don't want to get metal in the crank bearings. Thanks for any help.
ok here are some pick. not too bad I have seen much worse. I would say I caught it in time.

Last edited by 06blackGTO; 03-11-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I've used diesel fuel many times to flush engines. I would flush everything including oil passages. Then prime the engine before turning it over. How long did it run with the failed lifter? How bad was the cam? Many people will tell you to do a complete tear down and install new bearings, I've done it both ways. Anytime you circulate metal through an engine it's hard to get it all back out with a total tear down.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I've used diesel fuel many times to flush engines. I would flush everything including oil passages. Then prime the engine before turning it over. How long did it run with the failed lifter? How bad was the cam? Many people will tell you to do a complete tear down and install new bearings, I've done it both ways. Anytime you circulate metal through an engine it's hard to get it all back out with a total tear down.
Well I started getting lifter tick only on cold start up and would only last about 2 seconds at most. That was the only clue. Been doing it for about a month. But no other noises at all.
Just on the startup. My last oil change I saw some silver swirl in it. So I ordered new dod delete kit. Cam springs oil pump all gaskets. I will put pics up. I will try on my phone. If not I will post it when I get home.

Last edited by 06blackGTO; 03-10-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I've heard the diesel/oil mix before. surprisingly great results. I'd personally just pull it out. IIWM
Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
UPDATED WITH NEW PICS....Had a lifter fail on my 09 g8 gt. Their notorious for it. Well I have it all apart. Just one lifter failed. And chewed up on lobe alittle. It wasn't even a dod lifter that failed. It was a stock lifter. Anyways I want to flush out the motor of metal shavings. I have the oil pump and pickup out and oil pan is off.and cam is out. Engine still in car. Cam bearings look good. Was wondering what I could use to pour down the lifter bores to flush out any metal shavings? Could I use diesel fuel? Or should I buy some cans of carb cleaner and flush it out with that? And when flushing it out should I hand turn the crank to spin the motor or would the metal shavings go around the crank and wash out ? Just don't want to get metal in the crank bearings. Thanks for any help.
ok here are some pick. not too bad I have seen much worse. I would say I caught it in time.

Most of the time on a roller cam it's the cam that goes first then the lifters. On a Flat tappet cam it's the lifter that takes out the cam.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Perfect time for a Cam Motion cam.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I would have checked into it, but I already have a cam and dod delete kit. Hmmm I always thought it was the lifters that fail on these L76/g8 engines, we have the crappy dod setup that gm put on these and their have been hundreds of g8 gt's having lifter failure.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

If it were a lifter failure that cam most likely would have shown wear all the way around the lobe not just part of the way. It looks like you might have caught it before it did serious damage.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
If it were a lifter failure that cam most likely would have shown wear all the way around the lobe not just part of the way. It looks like you might have caught it before it did serious damage.
Oh ok. Yeah as soon as I heard the first lifter tick on the startup. I started ordering parts. I flushed her out today, going to slip the cam in tomorrow and install lifters, oil pump, pan and timing chain and cover. Then just wait on the heads and ported intake to make it back in.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What could have caused the cam to fail? I bought the car in aug. When I first changed the oil in nov. I noticed there was only 6 quarts of oil in her. But she was still reading pretty much full on the dipstick.
These cars hold 8.8 quarts. So maybe that started to cause it's downfall.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I would be guessing on the cause but I would check your valve train carefully.
I've read various reasons (guesses) but one that always sticks out on my mind is valve control issue. Weak spring causing the valve to bounce on the lobe eventually pitting the lobe then failure. Again I would be guessing, Maybe one of the cam experts will have a logical explanation.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good thing it's getting all new valve train. Heads are in the shop. Installing back cut ls3 intake valves. New btr .660 springs. Milling heads also. Yeah who knows. There have been hundreds of G8's with lifters failing. I should have researched alittle more before buying. I prob should have went with the 01 vette I was also looking at at the time. Lol

Quick Reply: lifter failed chewed up lobe on cam. just a few questions.